GRT Tapes, Catalog Numbers and Swapped Channels....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
My theory around GRT tapes gained some more evidence tonight.

The theory is that the Catalog Number Prefix or Suffix indicates a different mix.

Case #1:
"The Grass Roots 16 Greatest Hits"

I have two copies of this tape.
Tape 1 has RED Q8 symbols, the audio mix is that of the proper, "released" versions of all the songs and has catalog number 7023-50107 H. This tape features a black dot covering the C that used to preceed the catalog number.

Tape 2 has WHITE Q8 symbols, the audio mix differs having "Temptation Eyes" being the mix that came from the 45 single, "Things I should have said" is an outtake with Warren at lead. "I Can turn off the rain" has tape delay vocal echo front and rear. All other songs feature a slightly different mix than the other tape, mostly differing in instrument placement. This tape features the catalog number C 7023-50107. No black dots. This tape also has the swapped left channel error.

Case #2
"Joe Walsh The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get"

Tape 1, Cat. Number has an H Suffix with a black dot covering the usual C prefix.

Tape 2, Cat. Number has the C prefix. No Black dots. This tape has the typical GRT swapped left channel error. :mad:@:

Closing Remarks:

It is my thoughts that some tapes were produced with the channel error. Upon people purchasing and listening to these tapes, they must have contacted the manufacturer. GRT then RE-releasing that same album with the channel error corrected and added a different letter to the catalog number to indicate that the mix had been corrected.

BUT, this is NOT always the case. I do have two Jim Croce tapes in my collection (I Got a Name & Life and Times) which have the C prefix and have a correct mix.

I will be continuing my search for MORE GRT tapes as this seems like a really cool mystery for Scooby & the Gang; not to mention a good excuse to collect more Q8's :D

Back