Guess Who's not?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Way back machine = Met Domenic Troiano and talked about Burton Cummings going solo. (A "good" move he expressed). Really nice guy.

My opinion, no Burton Cummings, no Guess Who, no Ian Anderson, no Tull.

In the end, it's not about the songs or how someone plays them. It's about how someone plays to begin with! And when they play those songs they wrote - sometimes very differently one performance to the next - you hear all the dots connect in that unique way with that performer. You really can't cover that!
What do we do with a band like Chicago? Jason Scheff, who replaced Pete Cetera and comes from a really strong musical pedigree, was in Chicago for 31 years and was with them for a number of top ten hits and several albums. Bill Champlin was in the band a long time also, and contributed much during that time period. I wouldn't call them a cover band, although I never cared for the David Foster uber adult contemporary era. I guess that Lamm and Pankow are really the glue holding that band together.

What do we do with a band like Chicago? Jason Scheff, who replaced Pete Cetera and comes from a really strong musical pedigree, was in Chicago for 31 years and was with them for a number of top ten hits and several albums. Bill Champlin was in the band a long time also, and contributed much during that time period. I wouldn't call them a cover band, although I never cared for the David Foster uber adult contemporary era. I guess that Lamm and Pankow are really the glue holding that band together.
Don't forget Lee Lochnane!!

Refer to them as "Band - mark 1", mark 2, etc like we do with Deep Purple or Pink Floyd? (Mk2 of these bands kind of being the bigger thing.)

I did see Queen with Adam Lambert and was a fantastic show, highly recommend, and that is only two originals, but Brian May's guitar is just as important as Freddie and Adam is so flamboyant it all works..
I also doubt there is any confusion as to whether or not Freddie Mercury will be singing at a current Queen show. And Queen has always been pretty good about naming the lead singer separately rather than billing them themselves as simply "Queen".

Just my opinion, but a band as large as Chicago could probably get by with a handful of different musicians.

I mean, The Philadelphia Orchestra has probably had 200% turnover since Eugene Ormandy died.

What about when a band changes its name (and often its genre)?

KC and the Sunshine Band was originally the 1910 Fruitgum Company.

Audio Adrenaline was originally A180. I saw them play under both names.

Booker T and the MGs were the backup band for several other recording vocalists.

It isn't always the main singer who makes the band. Case in point, Jethro Tull without Martin Barre, Steppenwolf without Goldy McJohn and Marshall Tucker without Toy Caldwell. That being said the Allman Brothers were able to soldier on without Duane.

What about when a band changes its name (and often its genre)?

Audio Adrenaline was originally A180. I saw them play under both names.

Booker T and the MGs were the backup band for several other recording vocalists.
Blue Oyster Cult was originally The Soft White Underbelly. The late rock music critic Lillian Roxon once said that she lamented the name change, saying that “when people would ask me which band was nearest to my heart I would say the Soft White Underbelly.”

Blue Oyster Cult was originally The Soft White Underbelly. The late rock music critic Lillian Roxon once said that she lamented the name change, saying that “when people would ask me which band was nearest to my heart I would say the Soft White Underbelly.”
I also loved the original name SWU, it sure evokes some strong visuals. Or is that just me? lol

I found that hard to believe, looking at the lineups in Discogs I don't notice any members common to both.

Those bubblegum bands were usually just studio creations so it is possible/likely that the "cover" band(s) that were sent out contained totally different personal than those that played on the albums and singles. I think that was common albeit unethical practice at the time.

So I suppose that it is possible that the same touring musicians masqueraded as different bands at different times.

Back