Harware & Software - Recording 24/96 from my turntable

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyCuff

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Hello everyone,
For Christmas, I got a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD USB Audio System. As well as greatly upgrading my soundcard, it has a built in turntable preamp capability. Supposedly just connect the turntable RCAs right to the soundblaster and record at 24/96. My plan is to archive the records I play the most so as not to wear them out. I was going to use Audacity, but recently read it does not truly record in 24/96 with windows. I suppose I can use the software that came with the gear. Once I have it saved as a 24/96 FLAC I think I can recall how to burn to standard DVD-V for Hi-Rez stereo.

At this point looking for any advice, tips etc. about alternative free or cheap software, or anyone that has experience with this device. One I get rid of all the relatives and have time to actually hook the turntable up I will update the thread with my success (or lack thereof).

Regards,
Mike

Are you planning to use de-clicking software? e.g:
http://www.clickrepair.net/

For an easy way to make a disc (if you have a Blu-ray player) I recommend using Audiomuxer for the Hi-rez stereo. It's really easy to make 96/24 LPCM stereo Blu-ray or AVCHD discs (burned on a DVD-R).

Are you planning to use de-clicking software? e.g:
http://www.clickrepair.net/

For an easy way to make a disc (if you have a Blu-ray player) I recommend using Audiomuxer for the Hi-rez stereo. It's really easy to make 96/24 LPCM stereo Blu-ray or AVCHD discs (burned on a DVD-R).

I second the ClickRepair motion....
Been a VERY HAPPY customer for YEARS now...the best money can buy (cheaply too...btw, don't be tempted by any cracked version...it's less than $30!!!)
I was listening the other day to a declicked version of an original Reprise pressing of Jimi's "Are you experienced" and, MAN was it clean after using ClickRepair...and it was pretty clicky originally, thankfully it had almost no surface noise....

Another pearl of wisdom is, buy a REALLY good stylus....spend as much as you can- I have a $160+ Ortofon OM-20 from NeedleDoctor...

Another pearl of wisdom is, buy a REALLY good stylus....spend as much as you can- I have a $160+ Ortofon OM-20 from NeedleDoctor...

Thanks Kap for the suggestion on Needle Doctor and Stylus............more sites and money must go to and through :banana:

I might buy the Goldwave software. Seems like it gets the nod over Audacity for Hi-Rez recording and it has click removal. Not sure how good that application is compared to click repair which I understand to be the standard.

Hello everyone,
For Christmas, I got a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD USB Audio System. As well as greatly upgrading my soundcard, it has a built in turntable preamp capability. Supposedly just connect the turntable RCAs right to the soundblaster and record at 24/96. My plan is to archive the records I play the most so as not to wear them out. I was going to use Audacity, but recently read it does not truly record in 24/96 with windows. I suppose I can use the software that came with the gear. Once I have it saved as a 24/96 FLAC I think I can recall how to burn to standard DVD-V for Hi-Rez stereo.

At this point looking for any advice, tips etc. about alternative free or cheap software, or anyone that has experience with this device. One I get rid of all the relatives and have time to actually hook the turntable up I will update the thread with my success (or lack thereof).

Regards,
Mike

I've been looking for a suitable 24bit/96kHz box so that I can do exactly the same, the Creative box looks good (about £80-ish here in the UK). I can see a purchase coming! I really want to get more SQ/QS vinyl and get it on to DVD/Blu-ray then get one of the Involve boxes to decode it. The next thing is what software? I've Nero which is OK-ish. I'm always a bit vary of freeware/shareware for Windows, some sites try to load all sorts of nasties!

Last edited:
Back