Recording my vinyl - hardware help

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyCuff

600 Club - QQ All-Star
For anyone that has done this, I need some help. I think I asked about this maybe a year or so ago, but now I am serious. I want to archive some of my vinyl, at 24 bit resolution to DVD. Basically I am looking for the best hardware to allow this at a reasonable price. I have thought about the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD Sound Card. I have thought about the Rega Fono mini USB and the Pro-Ject Phono Box USB. The latter 2 however do not allow 24 bit. As for the first option, I am not sure that the Creative soundcard would give the quality I want in it's phono preamp, though it does allow 24/96 recording. If any of you have experience with other hardware options under $300 I would be curious to hear your opinions.
Gracias,
Mike

For a 24/96 Analog to Digital with USB out, the Furutech GT40 can do that.
I have one but just have not gotten around to using it for recording.
Unfortunately, a bit out our the price range you are looking for.
The phono stage is a bit bright for my ears. It is on the Stereophile recommended list.
Quite a bit of info and reviews of it out on the net.

vinylguy4

For a 24/96 Analog to Digital with USB out, the Furutech GT40 can do that.
I have one but just have not gotten around to using it for recording.
Unfortunately, a bit out our the price range you are looking for.
The phono stage is a bit bright for my ears. It is on the Stereophile recommended list.
Quite a bit of info and reviews of it out on the net.

vinylguy4

Thanks Vinylguy. The Furutech is a bit outside my price, however, but it sure looks nice!

Well, recording with quality gear is ALWAYS gonna be expensive, but it's definitely worth it in the long run...good stuff will last you a LONG time and you can record a LOT OF STUFF...
Recording in 96/24 is NOT cheap..and remember, the weakest link is the stylus...get a GOOD one (an Ortofon OM-20 will set you back about $170 , but it will sound HEAVENLY and work for a LOOONG time..)

EDIT: Needle doctor is great place to get your stuff from

Last edited:
Hey Kapn,
I do have a decent (not incredible) setup with a rega rp1 turntable and a Denon dl-110 moving coil cart. Itis getting it into the computer at 24/96 that is the problem. I would prefer an all in one solution that does not require a separate phono preamp, since i am using my carver preamp and it is clunky to move around in addition to the turntable. The most economical option Is the soundblaster, but I can't imagine it having a good preamp. Bellari, rega, and pro-Ject all have phono preamps with USB out, most with burr brown dacs, but can't do 24 bit. Frustrating!
Mike

would you settle for M-Audio or E-MU brands?
they both can handle 24bit and on point of performance/price can be good choice.

I would second the recommendation of M Audio interface boxes and cards.

I searched M-audio on Amazon and there are many examples but had a hard time finding something with standard RCA inputs (instead of outputs). They get fairly elaborate and expensive, with a lot more capability then I need. Does anyone know a particular model/part#? I will keep looking...

this one for only $30
you can't use it with Pro-Tools but i guess you do not use it at all.
perhaps it should fit your needs.

http://www.amazon.com/DELTA-410-M-A...e=UTF8&qid=1379272757&sr=1-6&keywords=M-Audio

maudiodelta410.gif

this one for only $30
you can't use it with Pro-Tools but i guess you do not use it at all.
perhaps it should fit your needs.

http://www.amazon.com/DELTA-410-M-A...e=UTF8&qid=1379272757&sr=1-6&keywords=M-Audio

View attachment 11326
Otto,
Thanks. I really don't mind spending more than $30! I think if I were to go this route, I need a dedicated phono preamp, and then an adapter to convert from stereo RCA to what (I guess the TRS connectors)? I would probably spring for the M-Audio 24/192 for $94 on Amazon. Maybe the connectors would be: Monster M DJ-CR-2M 1/4 Male Mono to Single Male RCA Cables. Am I close?

Asus Xonar worked well for my needs. Sub $100.

I recorded a lot of LP's at 96/24 and wrote them to dvd-a with Discwelder Chrome.

You don't have an old receiver with a phono stage ? Garage sales.

Asus Xonar worked well for my needs. Sub $100.

I recorded a lot of LP's at 96/24 and wrote them to dvd-a with Discwelder Chrome.

You don't have an old receiver with a phono stage ? Garage sales.

My Carver preamp has a phono input. I am hoping to not move it, and will pay for a separate phono preamp if necessary. I wish to write to DVD-V spec at 24/96 as the playback will be just as "lossless" and more universal. I think at this point I will probably get the M-Audio audiophile 192. Get the right adapter to go from RCA to TRS, and then buy a good phono preamp to support the right level for the line in.

My current setup is using Creative Labs X-Fi Sound Card connect to my computer which is an AMD Phenom 9950 processor, 4gb DDR2, Windows XP (32-bit) Asus M2M Sli mobo. As far as a pre amp..right now i'm using a PYLE turntable: SL-MK1210 MKII.Cartridge: Audio Technica, Pickering V-15. Amp: Technics SU-40, Polk T-100( speakers) Headphones: Koss Pro AA
Software:
Sony Audio Studio, Wavpad Masters Edition, Cakewalk Pyro and AVS Audio Editor. (Mostly use Audio Studio)
"It's So true the weakest point in any type of system is the Cartridge/stylus"
Been doing this for a long time..Get good stuff not only will it last it will give you a quality CD. I only use Plextor drives and Nero 9 for burning CD's

My current setup is using Creative Labs X-Fi Sound Card connect to my computer which is an AMD Phenom 9950 processor, 4gb DDR2, Windows XP (32-bit) Asus M2M Sli mobo. As far as a pre amp..right now i'm using a PYLE turntable: SL-MK1210 MKII.Cartridge: Audio Technica, Pickering V-15. Amp: Technics SU-40, Polk T-100( speakers) Headphones: Koss Pro AA
Software:
Sony Audio Studio, Wavpad Masters Edition, Cakewalk Pyro and AVS Audio Editor. (Mostly use Audio Studio)
"It's So true the weakest point in any type of system is the Cartridge/stylus"
Been doing this for a long time..Get good stuff not only will it last it will give you a quality CD. I only use Plextor drives and Nero 9 for burning CD's

CTC,
Thanks for adding to my options, which may actually be one that I mentioned in my first post. The latest Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD Sound Card is external with a USB connection and has a phono preamp built in. Are you using that one or a different one with your separate phono preamp?
Regards,
Mike

Hey Mike,
Yeah, I know it has a phono preamp if your using the USB connection...I am not unfortunately I have it RCA out into a small preamp using the Tuner input on the Technics amp. Works just fine. I also have used the Phono section of the Amp and that works pretty good..although I may have to add some volume to the tracks after editing. Before the Extreme Hi ficard I had an Audigy ZS the card shorted out....I really liked that card I had two options using that card. 1 plug right into the AUX and 2. still have the ability to use the LINE OUT. So, when it died....I had to change. In my next build (staying with AMD of course) will be an M audio card with mulitple inputs and outputs. I have the mobo, ddr3 just need the FX processor. Then rebuild the Audio_Station. I didn't mention that out from that computer I can also connect to my Pioneer QX 747 Quad receiver.
In whatever way you decide to go... make sure you use the best equipment you can afford..it will diffidently be worth it in the end. Better stuff better results...and a good ear helps! Hope it helps.
Charlie :) "I'm still only a bass player"

"We are living in the post PCI world now. " I have to agree Mike...but I remember the days when you had to set the IRQ and DMA on the sound card LOL ahh in the 16 bit days. Don't miss that at all!!! PCI-E is the way to go today. We don't need no stinking PCI!! LOL

Back