HDMI Audio Only Inputs & Outputs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagonmaster_91

800 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
(Forgive me if this has already been addressed elsewhere on the forum. - A search here did not turn up any answers for me.)
All my Oppos have both a regular HDMI output and an Audio Only output. My amp (a Sony) has 6 HDMI inputs and one of them is designated 'best' for audio only. The Sony's owners manual says to use that input for "better quality sound" but doesn't go into any detail as to why that particular HDMI input is "better". It also says you can use that input the same way as the other 5, meaning it can also process a video signal if you need it for something else instead. (another device, player, etc.) I couldn't find anything in an Oppo manual that addressed the advantages (if any) to using the Audio Only output. Neither stated a higher resolution, bit rate, etc. from those outputs and inputs.

Are there advantages, and if so, what are they?

And if there are advantages, is using the audio only ins & outs better (or the same) than using the 7.1 RCA outputs? (I have always thought the signals were the same, just easier with one plug instead of 8 audios and X# video) The Sony amp has 7.1 RCA inputs, so I can go either way - HDMI or separates.

(Unfortunately I am in the process of re-wiring/re-configuring and changing out devices in my whole system at the moment and can't do 'try it both ways and see'-type tests.)

In my experience, worth about 2.5 cents, btw, it won't matter which HDMI input you use unless it's for for HD or 4k, then you need the HDCP compliant input.

No real advantages either way (higher res or bit rate) - except and stick with me for a moment - for bitstreaming dts, Dolby, DSD, MLP etc. Now when you bitstream your relying on the receiver DAC to do all the heavy work decoding the signal. When you use the 5.1 analog outs, the player's DAC is doing all the heavy lifting. A caveat to bitstreaming, some receivers do not decode DSD, some need it to be converted to PCM in the player.

I would have to believe the Oppos have better DACs than the Sony. I don't know that for a fact but considering what I paid for the Oppos I would hope they are better.
Kal, I have a BDP-93, a 103 and a 203. I plan to put the 93 and probably the 203 (instead of the 103) in my main system. I want the 93 there because it can play everything - it doesn't have the label required lockouts on homemade BRs and such. The 203 has been sitting new in the box since I bought it just before Oppo announced they were getting out of the hardware business.

Last edited:
The 7.1 RCA inputs will not pass thru any HD Audio such as Atmos, Dolby HD and DTS HD only regular Dolby Digital. I have an older receiver with no HDMI inputs only RCA which is fine for my SACD and DVD Audio. I can not acess Atmos or HD with my Blu-Ray via the optical output I have to use.

If the player is doing the decoding of DTSMA or DHD, all the amp is doing is amplifying the signals so it will play those formats through the RCA outs. Correct? (I don't have Atmos equipment.)

Last edited:
If the player is doing the decoding of DTSMA or DHD, all the amp is doing is amplifying the signals so it will play those formats through the RCA outs. Correct? (I don't have Atmos equipment.)

Yes, the receiver will simply amplify the decoded DTS-MA or D-THD that it is receiving via the 5.1/7.1 analog in's.

Last edited:
The 7.1 RCA inputs will not pass thru any HD Audio such as Atmos, Dolby HD and DTS HD only regular Dolby Digital. I have an older receiver with no HDMI inputs only RCA which is fine for my SACD and DVD Audio. I can not acess Atmos or HD with my Blu-Ray via the optical output I have to use.

Actually his Oppo BDP-93 can decode the HD audio and output it using the 7.1 analog. No HD audio (MLP, DSD, DTS-MA or D-THD) can bitstream via coax or optical digital cables.

"If your rig doesn’t include HDMI, the Oppo’s Cirrus Logic CS4382 digital-to-analog chip can decode and output the lossless audio from its 7.1-channel analog outputs."

Correct.

If you had a 205, I'd suggest you use the superior analog circuitry in the 205 and send the signal via the Oppo's RCA outs to the Sony. By doing this, you won't be able to use any of the digital processing in the Sony that you might want (like sound modes, EQ and other features), because the analog inputs on the Sony will be analog pass-through to the output stages via the volume control. If you have a highly resolving speaker system and clean amplification, this can make an audible difference.

Since you have a 203, I'd suggest using the HDMI output instead. The 203's analog conversion is excellent, but you'd be a rare bird indeed if you can tell a difference between HDMI and analog out. That assumes, of course, that the Sony is a high quality AVR with a good set of DACs

I agree. I think I'm going to go with HDMI with both the 93 and 203. I think Holland hit on the answer as to what the Audio Only HDMI ins/outs are about - for those that feel a video signal might affect the audio signal somehow. I get that for the output on the Oppo, but why Sony would say one particular input gave "better" sound and then state it can be used exactly like the other HDMI inputs makes me suspect Sony is giving those that believe there is difference a 'feel good' input.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as Audio Only on HDMI, it is a con. The audio signal is digitally muxed into the video stream on HDMI, and as such there has to be a video signal present. And it also has to be of sufficient bit rate to accommodate the audio rate, if you try a low res video signal you will be limited in what audio formats you can fit in it. Now often the video in "audio only" HDMI is black, with some claim that this reduces interference. I very much doubt it makes any difference what video is present so long as it is high enough bit rate for the audio format you want to use.

I have always suspected that Audio Only outputs generated a black video signal and that would explain why the Sony manual states that the Audio Only input can be used as a normal HDMI input (audio & video signals). (BTW - My Sony receiver was made just before 4K was introduced.)

Edit - Correction - The Sony input is not labeled Audio Only. The manual just says HDMI #5 is 'better' for audio but doesn't say why.

I remember when I used to record music to VHS Hi-Fi I always put some type of video signal along with it (even if it had nothing to do with the audio - I didn't have a monitor on when playing it back). It gave a more stable playback.

Last edited:
Now often the video in "audio only" HDMI is black, with some claim that this reduces interference. I very much doubt it makes any difference what video is present so long as it is high enough it rate for the audio format you want to use.
In the case of the 205, the HDMI-audio output's video signal is black so that the clock rates can be set more appropriately for audio.

I would have to believe the Oppos have better DACs than the Sony. I don't know that for a fact but considering what I paid for the Oppos I would hope they are better.
Kal, I have a BDP-93, a 103 and a 203. I plan to put the 93 and probably the 203 (instead of the 103) in my main system. I want the 93 there because it can play everything - it doesn't have the label required lockouts on homemade BRs and such. The 203 has been sitting new in the box since I bought it just before Oppo announced they were getting out of the hardware business.
I keep my BDP-80 going for the same reason you keep your BDP-93 . Plays SACD-R & BD-R which is important to me. I also keep my 970HD going with a firmware flash that lets me play SACD-R, IF I need it. My old Sammie HD840 plays SACD-R as well but it has DVI instead of HDMI.
THE BDP-103 will play BD-R but of course no SACD-R but I guess you know that anyway. I'm so used to my BDP-80 that I often slip a backup copy of an SACD in the 103 only to have it not play, :cry:

Back