Headphones - "Quad" - EV Stereo-4 matrix system

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
IIRC, what ultimately became the Electro-Voice Stereo-4 matrix system was developed to provide a quad effect using stereo headphones.

I've listened to my Stereo-4 LPs and prerecorded cassette tape thru stereo headphones many times, although the sound is more spacious due to the Stereo-4 encoding, it doesn't sound like quad to me.

Anyone found Stereo-4 encoding of quad content resulting in a quad effect with stereo headphones?

Kirk Bayne

IIRC, what ultimately became the Electro-Voice Stereo-4 matrix system was developed to provide a quad effect using stereo headphones.

I've listened to my Stereo-4 LPs and prerecorded cassette tape thru stereo headphones many times, although the sound is more spacious due to the Stereo-4 encoding, it doesn't sound like quad to me.

Anyone found Stereo-4 encoding of quad content resulting in a quad effect with stereo headphones?

Kirk Bayne
Matrix through headphones provides a richer more spacious sound than plain stereo. I don't believe the claims that your ear can decode those channels passively into quad, with stereo phones. Ben Bauer made claims to that effect about SQ.

The "Fixler effect" was not designed to provide a quad effect from stereo headphones. It was intended to provide a quad effect over quad headphones using a stereo input.

A simple decoder or passive setup (think Dynaquad) works very well indeed. Phones don't image from the front but more from the sides rear and top.

Attachments

• Fixler Effect AD = HiFi-Stereo-Review-1974-06.pdf
    112.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Fixler Effect Headphones - High-Fidelity-1975-07.pdf
    640.9 KB · Views: 0
Back