The definition of quad

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boojidad

I thought this was a straightforward question with a simple answer. But with the advent of AI, and Atmos, and Peter Jackson etc, I have to put it to the community: what is the definition of a true quadraphonic release? To me, I always thought it was a matter of starting with the multitrack tape (whether 4-, or 8-, or 16-, or 24-, etc) and then mixing it down to create a specific 4-channel master. That master would then be used to create a discrete tape release (quad 8-track or reel), or a CD-4 disc, or put through an encoding system (SQ, QS, EV, etc) to create a two-track encoded master which would be put on to disc. But the crux is the 4-channel master mix, designed/created by the engineer.

Now they're able to take existing stereo mixes and break them out by instrument or voice and create something all new. This doesn't seem right to me. If the multitrack original is available, you can make a mix that hasn't been done before - cool. But using modern tech to undo what has been done seems like cheating. Thoughts?

(If this has all been debated in an earlier post, please let me know. And BTW, I would use the same argument with regard to new 5.1 or 7.1 or other mixes made without starting from the multitrack tape.)

But using modern tech to undo what has been done seems like cheating. Thoughts?
Yes, it is cheating. I do it. @nikomen does it. @smokey911 does it, as do others on this forum. And we love it. What we create almost always sounds better than the original source, and that is all that matters to me.

Back