Help A Snood get into King Crimson 5.1 .................... Don't laugh 8P

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the question were asked about the original stereo mixes... Larks' Tongues In Aspic first and foremost!
Then Court. Then the other two 72-74 band albums, Starless & Red. Then Discipline. Then Earthbound (for that gnarly version of Schizoid Man!). Then all the rest!

The 5.1 remixes though...
I actually don't like the part 1 on Larks' Tongues with the outtake overdub parts in the mix. One of the very few SW remixes that I have a problem with!
So I'll say start with Red in 5.1. :)

I'm a little so-so on the Court remix too actually. (Thus kind of looking forward to his new remix!)

You know what? Let's jump straight to THRAK in 5.1!
This has to be heard to be believed and it's a showpiece for surround that would be absolutely impossible to get across in stereo. One of those surround demo albums!
Never go back and listen to the original stereo mix!

Discipline in 5.1 3rd.

Then Lizard. I almost wanted to mention this one first because it was SW's favorite KC album and he knocked this remix out of the park! This was the flakiest original mix of the whole catalog. Seems like it was more ambitious to mix than was possible to pull off at the time. Maybe they had limited studio budget? Maybe it was just too experimental? SW basically finished this album with the 5.1 remix.
But I didn't mention it first because this is pretty weirdo and kind of a fans only album.

Amsterdam 1973-11-23. He only remixed 6 tracks from this show. Not sure if this got a standalone release or only lives in one of the box sets. But here's a great introduction to a live set from the classic period. And this was much more of a live band than a studio band!

I am a huge Belew fan and Three of a Perfect Pair is by far my favorite KC. I just found out that some ginormous box set has a Blu with a 5.1 of that album. I have to find a friend who has it!

This box is cheaper than it would be to but the contents separately. The 3 main albums, live albums, live videos, and all the fan club stuff. Not to mention the unique bits.

Oh boy my friend Mr. Snood, I think I am becoming a King Crimson fan. This body of work is so fascinating all the levels/studio/live/different decades/musicians. fantastic history which really gets the hobbyist in me going. Some colleges have classes for Dylan, I need to go to school for King Crimson.
Any books out there to read that has discography, etc?
I have 3 discs now and 5 on the way. What is simple is that I love the music.
I was in the gym today and they play some classic rock station and I heard this guitar song and I said" I know that, what is that" and then I realized it was KC, not sure what song but either from In The Court or Discipline cuz thats all I have listened to so far.
The included concert videos are cool to see how this massive sound has come out of a few guys.
Every year I get a big buzz about a old band, new to me. Looks like this year it's going to be King Crimson.

Welcome to Team Crimson Marpow.

I have not read it, maybe someone here has
The Concise Musical Guide to King Crimson and Robert Fripp (1969 - 1984)
https://burningshed.com/store/kingc...n_and_Robert_Fripp_1969-1984_Book_Black_WhiteAndrew Keeling has also delivered works on individual albums.

Out late this year: Cosmic F*Kc: The King Crimson documentary, directed by Toby Amies

Wiki has a good KC Discography; at least for studio. Live ... well there are official releases, The King Crimson Collector's Club and of course all the goodies in the big boxes. It might be an easier task to ask for a suggestion or two for each studio release; or maybe have solicit a list of top 5 KC live release and see where the agreement is.
Or of course, just jump in to live releases that match the albums you dig the most.

Their history is fun, you know things like handing Boz a bass and saying your the bassist now.
Or how Jakko was married to the daughter of a Crim alum and played in 21st Century Schizoid Band along with ... well go look, it is a hoot.
And of course be prepared for the Fripp vitroil on the music industry; especially copyright, royalties, and of course EG.

And to get you started, for live sets I am fond of On Broadway (King Crimson Collectors' Club), Absent Lovers Live In Montreal and Meltdown; although there are plenty of great titles out there.

Welcome to Team Crimson Marpow.

I have not read it, maybe someone here has
The Concise Musical Guide to King Crimson and Robert Fripp (1969 - 1984)
https://burningshed.com/store/kingc...n_and_Robert_Fripp_1969-1984_Book_Black_WhiteAndrew Keeling has also delivered works on individual albums.

Out late this year: Cosmic F*Kc: The King Crimson documentary, directed by Toby Amies

Wiki has a good KC Discography; at least for studio. Live ... well there are official releases, The King Crimson Collector's Club and of course all the goodies in the big boxes. It might be an easier task to ask for a suggestion or two for each studio release; or maybe have solicit a list of top 5 KC live release and see where the agreement is.
Or of course, just jump in to live releases that match the albums you dig the most.

Their history is fun, you know things like handing Boz a bass and saying your the bassist now.
Or how Jakko was married to the daughter of a Crim alum and played in 21st Century Schizoid Band along with ... well go look, it is a hoot.
And of course be prepared for the Fripp vitroil on the music industry; especially copyright, royalties, and of course EG.

View attachment 40554
Awesome, just what I needed.

I was in the gym today and they play some classic rock station and I heard this guitar song and I said" I know that, what is that" and then I realized it was KC, not sure what song but either from In The Court or Discipline cuz thats all I have listened to so far.
If it was on a classic rock station it was either I Talk to the Wind, ITCOTCK or you have a very cool classic rock station.

The latest issue of Mojo magazine comes with a King Crimson sampler disc. It has the following tracks:

1. 21st Century Schizoid Man (radio edit) (from the forthcoming Complete 1969 Recordings)
2. Cadence And Cascade (feat. Greg Lake, Gordon Haskell, Adrian Belew & Jakko Jakszyk) (from the forthcoming Elements 2019 tourbox)
3. Starless (edit) (from The Condensed 21st Century Guide to King Crimson)
4. Red (from The Condensed 21st Century Guide to King Crimson)
5. Requiem (extended edit) (from Beat: 40th Anniversary Edition)
6. Eyes Wide Open (acoustic version) (from Heaven & Earth boxset)
7. Frakctured (from The Reconstrukction Of Light)
8. Easy Money (from Live In Chicago)
9. Epitaph (from Live In Vienna)
10. Meltdown (from Radical Action To Unseat The Hold Of Monkey Mind)
11. Radical Action II (from Meltdown: Lie in Mexico City)

12. Level Five (from Meltdown: Live In Mexico City)

As for favorite live recordings... My two favorites are:

1) New Haven, CT Nov 16, 2003 (available from the Collector's Club.) It's the penultimate gig with Trey Gunn in the band and they are on fire. I may be a bit biased, I was at this gig, but of the dozen or so times that I have seen the mighty Krim in concert, this was hands down the best I ever saw. A real scorcher of a gig in a sweaty little club. To quote from the DGM website:

You know it's been one hell of gig when Robert Fripp gets off his stool, wanders centre stage and says "It's exceptional nowadays that I step to a microphone and say 'good evening, Hippies', but at the completion of this stage of King Crimson touring in America, perhaps something more is needed." At which point he holds up a bra that's been thrown onto the stage during the show and then proceeds to give away the undergarment with a KC trivia quiz!

2) Munich Sep 9, 1982
(originally available from the Collector's Club. A better quality tape of the performance was later located and included in the 80's box set. ) Final night of the Beat tour and the energy level is off the charts. There's also video of this in the 80's box.

MOJO-308-Queen-cover-for-web.jpg

When I saw P2, which I look forward to being in the box next month, Ade played Dinosaur as a solo acoustic song between sets, Robert was off to the side standing and actually punching his fists in the air in enjoyment. I really considered going to the hospital to see if I had been roofied.

I am over the edge now, just arrived, 5, this will keep me busy. All 40th Anniversary. Now I have 8.
Three Of A Perfect Pair-In The Wake Of Poseidon, Lizard, Starless and Bible Black
What order?
Starless and Bible Black came out right after Lark's Tongues in Aspic, and I am very partial to that particular lineup. Wake of Poseidon came out after Court of the Crimson King and has a lot of similarities. Lizard is quirky as hell, in a good way, and has some pretty cool surround stuff going on. Out of those, I'd probably pick Starless, but it's all good! :LB Cool that you're just getting into Crimson, one of my favorite bands of all time, and really diggin' it!😍

Starless and Bible Black came out right after Lark's Tongues in Aspic, and I am very partial to that particular lineup. Wake of Poseidon came out after Court of the Crimson King and has a lot of similarities. Lizard is quirky as hell, in a good way, and has some pretty cool surround stuff going on. Out of those, I'd probably pick Starless, but it's all good! :LB Cool that you're just getting into Crimson, one of my favorite bands of all time, and really diggin' it!😍
Well, that said, maybe I'll go in release order.
Here is QQ popular order:King Crimson QQ poll, might have to type in King Crimson

Back