Here it is: the JCQS-440 A.F.V. also known as the Wurlyscope.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been meaning to post here for a while, just to say my MKII Wurlyscope is bad a$$. It amazes me, the response time and IMHO, accuracy, not to mention visualizing the sound fields. I have had it off only briefly since receiving it, and I felt naked. Nicely done Jean. What a nice and for me, unique piece in the collection. It's a pleasure to watch, and it has also made one issue or another apparent as I fool around with my gear, set-up, etc.

Here's a little look at a 7.1 stream (I only run a 4.1 system) of Taylor Swift on the Wurly.

Just thought I'd drop a note.

I'm a bit confused on this, even after reading the string. (Well, most of the string.)
If I'm correct, these are hand built by someone here. Are they also available for order? I'd be very curious (and likely interested.) Thanks!
Yes handbuilt by the amazing Wurly1, I think that most units were pre ordered or pre sold but check with him on that!

I thought that you all would get a kick out of this. I was my pondering my Wurlyscope today, when I remembered seeing this thing on Techmoan awhile back demonstrating how audio signals can be used to draw/create patterns on an oscilloscope.

Now I am no nuclear rocket scientist, but I do know enough that it wouldn’t work on our Wurlyscopes. But I was curious as to what would actually happen if I did try it. Pretty cool actually! The bottom screen is my old cracked Ipad, which is feeding the audio into the Wurlyscope via a 1/8 inch jack to stereo RCA plugs.

You can see that at certain points that the Wurlyscope is mimicking the intended visual pretty darn closely. It actually looks better on the video as it tends to dim the output from the Wurlyscope....making it easier to do an A/B comparison. Let me know what you think.

I thought that you all would get a kick out of this. I was my pondering my Wurlyscope today, when I remembered seeing this thing on Techmoan awhile back demonstrating how audio signals can be used to draw/create patterns on an oscilloscope.

Now I am no nuclear rocket scientist, but I do know enough that it wouldn’t work on our Wurlyscopes. But I was curious as to what would actually happen if I did try it. Pretty cool actually! The bottom screen is my old cracked Ipad, which is feeding the audio into the Wurlyscope via a 1/8 inch jack to stereo RCA plugs.

You can see that at certain points that the Wurlyscope is mimicking the intended visual pretty darn closely. It actually looks better on the video as it tends to dim the output from the Wurlyscope....making it easier to do an A/B comparison. Let me know what you think.

I was wondering what the wurlyscope would display with those signals.
The wurlyscope has the equivalent circuitry of 4 oscilloscopes but the screen is quite different.
Thank you for showing us.

I was wondering what the wurlyscope would display with those signals.
The wurlyscope has the equivalent circuitry of 4 oscilloscopes but the screen is quite different.
Thank you for showing us.
And now the world knows. People around the world will never look at a Wurlyscope the same way again :). Actually I think it looks kinda trippy (pardon the dated hippie lingo).

I might mess around with the “O music” some more if I get bored enough.

I never get tired of my Wurly Scope. Short clip in action with a little Van Morrison at the moment.

Every surround enthusiast should have one. @Wurly1, you are probably working on the next batch now I bet. 🤔🤣

20231105_150215.jpg

Okay, this is the true test of all you experts....

On one side we have a discrete 5.1 being displayed on the Wurly #1. On the other side we have the good ol' Tate 101A on the Wurly #2.

Which one is which? I made this one easy...

Okay, this is the true test of all you experts....

On one side we have a discrete 5.1 being displayed on the Wurly #1. On the other side we have the good ol' Tate 101A on the Wurly #2.

Which one is which? I made this one easy...

View attachment 101722

The discrete is on the right.

I assume you took the 2 ch output from your disc spinner to the Tate so that did the down mixing. Then, operated the Tate in the Surround mode?

The one on the left would be discrete. It is flashing red on the outside edge (subwoofer)? The one on the right shows a bit more fill between the red direction lines. But still both look very similar, very cool!

@par4ken is correct!

@Sonik Wiz , I let the Anthem downmix and send to the Tate via Zone 1.

I have the Anthem output directly to one Wurly and the Zektor from the vintage processor group (Tate, QSD, S&IC) to the other Wurly.

This is pretty neat. Just got it arranged and only have the Tate on line so far.

Looking forward to checking DPL II against the S2S vintage processors.

@par4ken is correct!

@Sonik Wiz , I let the Anthem downmix and send to the Tate via Zone 1.

I have the Anthem output directly to one Wurly and the Zektor from the vintage processor group (Tate, QSD, S&IC) to the other Wurly.

This is pretty neat. Just got it arranged and only have the Tate on line so far.

Looking forward to checking DPL II against the S2S vintage processors.
Yay! for Ken!
I picked the right side because the center front seemed more distinct where as the Wurly would derive a center front from the Tate.

I noticed the red on the side as well but I was completely un-aware the MK III had an LFE indicator of any kind.

Back