How do you burn a DVD-A file to DVD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lensflair

This is probably a stupid question, and I couldn't find another post that addressed this without getting really technical.

First of all, I'm on a Mac.

A friend sent me a DVD-A file that he ripped. The file he send over was a .iso file. It has both audio_TS files and video_TS files. I can't burn this as a video, because either the burning software will only accept video_TS files, or it says the audio files are incompatible.

Am I supposed to burn the entire iso file? Not just the Audio and Video TS files.

Perhaps I need a better burning software. I am using liquid CD.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Is that how it's done? Drag the whole .iso folder in and hit "burn". I tried that, but it errored out. If that is the way it's done, I have an old copy of Toast on my computer somewhere. I can try that instead of Liquid cd.

I know nothing about Macs, but being that imgburn is great for PC, I searched imgburn for Mac and found someone recommending Burn. DVD Burning software
Again, I have no experience with this software, but it does say disc images on its download page.
And yes, to burn an ISO one would drop the whole .iso into a dvd burning application. that handles iso.

Unfortunately, I just read that my Sony UBP-X800M2 does not support ISO format. Are there any work arounds?

For example, if I bought a cheap laptop PC, could it be played through another program, so it wouldn't be an .iso file?

Last edited:
An .iso file created from a dvd(a) disc, once burned to a new disc, that disc is now a dvd-r (it is not an iso file, it is a disc).
The image (.iso) is a file version of the disc bit-for-bit. Once burned, it is now an optical disc again, not considered an iso.
"does not support iso format" merely means it cannot play the file directly (from a USB drive) .
However I don't have that model. Some Sony units will not play any kind of DVD-r.
But yeah, if an iso file is mounted as a virtual disc, Foobar could play it from a PC.
But if you had a PC, you could use imgburn to burn that iso to disc and bam! a dvd-r with the content of the original disc. As long as it was not a copy protected commercial disc of course.
There are tutorials.

https://www.howtogeek.com/356714/what-is-an-iso-file-and-how-do-i-open-one/

An .iso file created from a dvd(a) disc, once burned to a new disc, that disc is now a dvd-r (it is not an iso file, it is a disc).
The image (.iso) is a file version of the disc bit-for-bit. Once burned, it is now an optical disc again, not considered an iso.
"does not support iso format" merely means it cannot play the file directly (from a USB drive) .
However I don't have that model. Some Sony units will not play any kind of DVD-r.
But yeah, if an iso file is mounted as a virtual disc, Foobar could play it from a PC.
But if you had a PC, you could use imgburn to burn that iso to disc and bam! a dvd-r with the content of the original disc. As long as it was not a copy protected commercial disc of course.
There are tutorials.

https://www.howtogeek.com/356714/what-is-an-iso-file-and-how-do-i-open-one/
Thank you for the great explanation and information. I'll try burning one tonight. My Sony WILL play dvd-r's. I have made home movies that have played fine. (fingers crossed).

Thank you for the great explanation and information. I'll try burning one tonight. My Sony WILL play dvd-r's. I have made home movies that have played fine. (fingers crossed).
The specific model you have will NOT play DVD-Rs that contain DVD-Audio data! Only DVD-Video data on DVD-Rs.

Yea the disc player firmware can detect burned vs. stamped optical discs. Not many of the newer disc players will play burned discs excepting DVD video.
You know, I'm not really sure about AVCHD and BD though. Since some video cameras can ouput in AVCHD format, I wonder....?
I have Oppo's that play pretty much any disc format but not sure if the newer players will play those two.

Thank you for that information. So, back to, is there a work around? If I dig up an old PC, will those files play through the computer, or am I just screwed?
Two options.
1. You burn the audio to the AVCHD format, which is a little more tricky to set up.
2. Any PC should play all DVD-Audio files and discs.

Don’t believe it’s a dumb question, but maybe it’s a dumb answer. I’ve seen that .iso files can be looked into by various unzip programs. I’ve never tried it, because all the iso files I use are ones I made myself, but perhaps you can unzip the iso and extract the audio files from it that way.

I admit I’m grasping at straws here, so it’s just something I’d try if I wanted to do what you want.

The Sony should play AVCHD discs as that is the format Sony uses on their home video cameras.
I tried this method with my OPPO... Along with your (2-channel or multi-channel) lossless LPCM encoded audio stream, you will need to include an AVC encoded video stream. Plus chapters.

TSmuxer 'Open Source' is able to create such muxes.

Two options.
1. You burn the audio to the AVCHD format, which is a little more tricky to set up.
2. Any PC should play all DVD-Audio files and discs.
I have never used a PC in my life. But I am sure I can can borrow one to see if it works. Do I have to play the file through a program? Someone mentioned Foobar. And do I play the .iso file?

Back