Interesting: CDJapan vs Acoustic Sounds SACD's.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marpow

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I received order from CDJapan which included
The Oscar Peterson Trio-Night Train SHM SACD STEREO. My 2nd version. An ultimate Jazz classic.
Mingus: The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady SHM SACD STEREO. My 1st version.

I noticed on the OBI Strip it says, Acoustic Sounds SACD Series, hmm, I never heard of that.
I looked up at CDJapan SEARCH FOUND THIS PAGE
I looked up at Acoustic Sounds typed search Night Train and GOT THIS

I find this weird, Acoustic Sounds has a series via CDJapan that they do not have on there own site. Why would they have a series and not advertise.
I know it is a money thing, whatever, just weird, that's all.

When a music label releases a SACD title, it is not marketed everywhere on the planet. Acoustic Sounds/Analogue Productions probably only have the rights to sell its SACD in the US (or North America), and Japan Universal Music can only sell its SACD version in Japan.

Note that in the US, SACD releases typically get released through a third party reissue label such as Mobile Fidelity, Analogue Productions, Intervention Records, etc. In Japan, Universal Music handle the SACD release directly.

Another point is that the Japanese SACD version is on SHM-SACD, so it's a single-layer stereo (or mono) SACD. I believe there is a perception, in Asia at least, that single-layer SACDs are better sounding than hybrid SACDs....and record companies can (and do) charge more for these SHM-SACDs. Currently, only Japan Universal Music and Hong Kong Universal Music are releasing SHM-SACDs (HK Universal Music will be releasing 8 titles next week that has already been released on hybrid SACD.....they want music buyers to "double dip" on the same title). When was the last time a single-layer SACD was released in the US?

When a music label releases a SACD title, it is not marketed everywhere on the planet. Acoustic Sounds/Analogue Productions probably only have the rights to sell its SACD in the US (or North America), and Japan Universal Music can only sell its SACD version in Japan.

Note that in the US, SACD releases typically get released through a third party reissue label such as Mobile Fidelity, Analogue Productions, Intervention Records, etc. In Japan, Universal Music handle the SACD release directly.

Another point is that the Japanese SACD version is on SHM-SACD, so it's a single-layer stereo (or mono) SACD. I believe there is a perception, in Asia at least, that single-layer SACDs are better sounding than hybrid SACDs....and record companies can (and do) charge more for these SHM-SACDs. Currently, only Japan Universal Music and Hong Kong Universal Music are releasing SHM-SACDs (HK Universal Music will be releasing 8 titles next week that has already been released on hybrid SACD.....they want music buyers to "double dip" on the same title). When was the last time a single-layer SACD was released in the US?
Good points soundboy and I was thinking along the same lines as you, so you confirmed for me.
I personally like The single layer SHM SACD's. I do think they sound outstanding, in general of course.
Getting double dipped? Well isn't that the nature of the music business since the beginning of time? I certainly have multiples of many, and I hate it, but I know that as a hobbiest in this world of music it is unavoidable.

I will close with, I am listening to Night Train- Oscar Peterson Trio SHM SACD released 9/29/2023 and of the 3 versions I now have, I willl stop here as it is the best.
DR's are 12, 13's, 14's, 15.
The other two versions I have lean heavily toward the 12's, this new one leans heavy toward the 13's. Do I actually hear the difference? Placebo, probably? But it does sound very fine especially the quiet parts with the stand up bass.

The Verve "Acoustic Sounds" series may very well have nothing to do with AcousticSounds.com. After all, "Acoustic Sounds" is the retailer, not the label (which is Analogue Productions).
I was thinking you where correct, because certainly makes sense, but I checked the Acoustic Sounds Website and here is a picture of the OBI strip and they both have the same logo. I'm leaning back to Soundboy's answer.
IMG_4666.jpg

I received order from CDJapan which included
The Oscar Peterson Trio-Night Train SHM SACD STEREO. My 2nd version. An ultimate Jazz classic.
Mingus: The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady SHM SACD STEREO. My 1st version.

I noticed on the OBI Strip it says, Acoustic Sounds SACD Series, hmm, I never heard of that.
I looked up at CDJapan SEARCH FOUND THIS PAGE

Fixed your link. There are 20 releases CDJapan : Search result

Back