Jethro Tull 5.1 (“Bursting Out” box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in June 2024!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the TV footage.
[video=youtube;TFYWy-Pwymc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=17&v=TFYWy-Pwymc[/video]

I for one am very much looking forward to more Jethro Tull remixes in the future, especially "Songs from the Wood" with one of my favorite Jethro Tull songs: "Hunting Girl"! :)

Check out this blistering live version of it from 2003: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pt6Z6xujm4

This catalogue, along with the Yes and Roxy Music catalogues, shows the most promise for the future! (And XTC too if they can just find more tapes!) :)

This catalogue, along with the Yes and Roxy Music catalogues, shows the most promise for the future! (And XTC too if they can just find more tapes!) :)

Mike Oldfield's catalog is promising too. Discovery and The Killing Fields are both supposed to be on their way soon. I don't see why he'd stop there. I know he considers several subsequent titles (such as Amarok and Tubular Bells 2) to be significant entries into his catalog. I'd love to hear The Songs of Distant Earth in surround.

I am eagerly awaiting for "songs from the wood" anouncement,,Steven, are you gonna do it??? My EVER favorite...Mr. Skorpio, please let us know...I am starting to get into your output..¡Olé! I just got the ticket for your "La Riviera" TODAY (which SUCKS big time compared to the Auditorium venue, but I think that you prefer the audience standing up rather than sitting down (I have had surgery on my back, so I'd have the Auditoriium instead. but that is all up to you, anyway,)) THANKS FOR COMING TO MADRID(at least at the last minute) i'm a big fan now, can't wait to see you, today I got the ticket in FNAC..saw you in your Auditorium gig in 2013,,,

Mike Oldfield's catalog is promising too. Discovery and The Killing Fields are both supposed to be on their way soon. I don't see why he'd stop there. I know he considers several subsequent titles (such as Amarok and Tubular Bells 2) to be significant entries into his catalog. I'd love to hear The Songs of Distant Earth in surround.

I was speaking strictly in terms of surround remixes that Steven Wilson mixes, but you're right that Oldfield's catalogue is always a good source for more reissues as well. Too bad so many of them are just in Dullby audio. He really deserves better...

I am eagerly awaiting for "songs from the wood" anouncement,,Steven, are you gonna do it???

There is a post over on the SH forum that mentions a very recent interview with Ian and he said that SW has agreed to do SftW, Heavy Horses and Stormwatch.....bring 'em on!

There is a post over on the SH forum that mentions a very recent interview with Ian and he said that SW has agreed to do SftW, Heavy Horses and Stormwatch.....bring 'em on!

Would you mind linking to that post?
It's a nightmare to go through that forum and try and recover the necessary bits of info wanted! :violin

Last edited:
SW just posted on Facebook that "The Tull 40th anniversary deluxe edition series will continue in chronological order with Too Old To Rock’n’Roll, Too Young to Die."

A new interesting post from Steven Wilson on his remixes Facebook page regarding the existing Jethro Tull deluxe editions:

Just a heads up that the multi-disc book format Jethro Tull deluxe sets are limited one off manufacturing runs, with both Thick as a Brick and A Passion Play now officially sold out / deleted by the record label. At the moment you should still be able to find copies available on Amazon (though at ever increasing prices), but many retail outlets including the official Burning Shed / Jethro Tull store are now sold out. The deluxe editions are being replaced by single disc CD and vinyl reissues, but these contain only my stereo remix of each album and none of the wealth of bonus audio and video material, the 5.1 mixes, or the lavish book packaging. The multi disc editions of Minstrel in the Gallery and Benefit are now also very close to going out of print, so if you have interest in any of these deluxe editions please don’t hesitate to pick them up, as at the current regular price they represent incredible value for money.
The next Jethro Tull deluxe reissue will be a 2CD/2DVD version of 1976 album Too Old to Rock’n’Roll, Too Young to Die.

So, like the post says, if you want any of the current deluxe editions (with DVDs), don't hesitate to get them as soon as you can!

Oh how I wish there were stand alone editions with cd/5.1 only. It is either plain CD or deluxe... I feel there is something missing in between :rolleyes: (but I do realize it's not a "problem", but still...)

One could only hope they will at least consider a stand alone 5.1 batch later on.

Oh how I wish there were stand alone editions with cd/5.1 only. It is either plain CD or deluxe... I feel there is something missing in between :rolleyes: (but I do realize it's not a "problem", but still...)

One could only hope they will at least consider a stand alone 5.1 batch later on.

110% with you on this...I certainly enjoy JT, but there's no way I can justify the high cost of this full set when all I want is the 5.1 mix.

Anyone out there with connections: Is there any chance that a stand-alone release of the 5.1 mixes could still be made available? It would sell!!

Or the cynic in me thinks that maybe this is all part of the plan...announce that the high cost, full set is going OOP which prompts some new folks to buy it, and then somewhere down the proverbial road release a stand alone disc for the 5.1 mixes.

If the latter ends up being the case, I actually wouldn't complain all that much...I would still LOVE to hear Aqualung in 5.1!

Jon

"Aqualung" is one thing, but I think it's tougher to argue in favor of smaller sets for the other five deluxe reissues released thus far. (You certainly can't do it for "Thick as a Brick" as all it had was a single CD and single DVD and practically nothing in terms of extra material!)

Plus, with "A Passion Play", "War Child", and "Minstrel in the Gallery", you get 2nd DVDs that are filled with extra surround content in the form of studio outtakes or a live performance in the case of "Minstrel".
The only way they would be successful in shrinking down the DVDs to one disc would be through Blu-Ray, and so far with the exception of "Aqualung" they have been extremely unwilling to provide us with this higher-resolution alternative.
So my advice would be to get all of the deluxe editions except "Aqualung" and hope that one day there will be a cheaper alternative for that particular title. :)

110% with you on this...I certainly enjoy JT, but there's no way I can justify the high cost of this full set when all I want is the 5.1 mix.

Anyone out there with connections: Is there any chance that a stand-alone release of the 5.1 mixes could still be made available? It would sell!!

Or the cynic in me thinks that maybe this is all part of the plan...announce that the high cost, full set is going OOP which prompts some new folks to buy it, and then somewhere down the proverbial road release a stand alone disc for the 5.1 mixes.

If the latter ends up being the case, I actually wouldn't complain all that much...I would still LOVE to hear Aqualung in 5.1!

Jon

These deluxe editions are tremendous values and can be had via Amazon for as low as $24. Hard bound books with tons of exclusive photos/essays and the equivalent of two full albums worth of surround content! These titles will never be available in surround in any other configuration - so you better get them now.

These deluxe editions are tremendous values and can be had via Amazon for as low as $24. Hard bound books with tons of exclusive photos/essays and the equivalent of two full albums worth of surround content! These titles will never be available in surround in any other configuration - so you better get them now.

I guess I'm a bit confused...does the 40th anniversary edition of TaaB listed here include the 5.1 mix?:

http://www.amazon.com/Thick-As-Bric...d=1439946927&sr=1-2&keywords=thick+as+a+brick

Jon

Back