Jethro Tull 5.1 (“Bursting Out” box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in June 2024!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would you think, with the same dts specs, that the blu ray would sound better than the dvd?

Dts dvd is lossy. Dts-hd Blu-ray is lossless. The Blu-ray should sound better.

Has anyone here down a good sound comparison between the dts and the bluray?
I am very curious as the bluray should sound better but by how much?
Or does the excellent job by Steven Wilson make both dts and bluray a good listen.

peter

Or does the excellent job by Steven Wilson make both dts and bluray a good listen.

peter

i didn't have a chance to heard BD, but from comparison of 96/24 stereo to 96/24 DTS on the ADVD
i can ensure you that the difference in sonic fidelity is pretty much significant. 'cause DTS HDMA is
lossless packing of the source sound thus preserving fidelity of origin, same difference between
DTS vs. DTS HD should apply as in case DTS vs. 96/24 LPCM

b.t.w. surround mix is really very good, and so mastering of the sound from master tapes.
morons at EMI filled up space of dual layer DVD with boring repeted video, instead to place there
HiRes surround stream. even after use of the video, DVD still have almost 2Gb of empty space.
that's make me wonder that single DL DVD in this case could hold all present contents + new 5.1 and old 4.0 mixes.

I've been listening to nothing but the blu-ray for the last 3 weeks but when I saw your post I started to wonder about the dts. I just had a listen all the way through. It is very good. The SW mix does make it a good listen. But...the blu-ray is in a league all of its own. Sorry I can't be more technical in my comparison. The dts sounds like a very good recording. With the blu-ray every note is life-like - it doesn't even seem like a recording - just sound playing. It's so good.

I have listened to each extensively. The DVD is fantastic, but I do prefer the Blu ray. The Blu sounds richer, warmer, and fuller in it's tones. The mix is still great with the DTS DVD, but with the fuller sound of the Blu, I would stick to it, since both are in the box.

DVD DTS has the capability of reproducing 24 bit depth and up to 48 kHZ at a sampling rate of 1.5 Mbps. DTS HD MA as the capability of reproducing 24 bit depth and 96kHZ at a sampling rate of 25 Mbps (and that's for up to 7.1 channels). All things being equal, DTS HD MA is clearly superior - of course you have to factor in your speakers, receiver, player, connections, room acoustics and not least of all, your ears. In the case of Aqualung, I have played it every which way but loose - I have a DTS disc for my cars system - and it sounds great - in my car. But side by side, on my home system, hands down, DTS HD MA.

Actually DTS for DVD can be 24/96 @ 1.5 for 5.1.
But yeah, given a choice I'd go for DTS HD.

DTS 24/96 is DVD compliant for both DVD-V and DVD-A - however, you need a DTS receiver with DTS96/24 decoding inside in order to access the higher sampling rate - otherwise it will default to the standard DTS 24/48.

DTS 24/96 is DVD compliant for both DVD-V and DVD-A - however, you need a DTS receiver with DTS96/24 decoding inside in order to access the higher sampling rate - otherwise it will default to the standard DTS 24/48.

Or you can have a player that decodes DTS 96/24 send LPCM to your receiver. My Sony blu-ray player decodes DTS 96/24; I assume it does so because it decodes DTS HD Master Audio.

However, without some form of (lossy or lossless) compression, 6 channels of PCM audio typically won't 'fit' on a disc that also contains a movie.
There is no need for a movie on a DVD-Video just as for other multichannel formats like DVD-Audio and SACD...
BTW: There is no lossless compression audio format for DVD-Video.

DVD DTS has the capability of reproducing 24 bit depth and up to 48 kHZ at a sampling rate of 1.5 Mbps. DTS HD MA as the capability of reproducing 24 bit depth and 96kHZ at a sampling rate of 25 Mbps (and that's for up to 7.1 channels). All things being equal, DTS HD MA is clearly superior - of course you have to factor in your speakers, receiver, player, connections, room acoustics and not least of all, your ears. In the case of Aqualung, I have played it every which way but loose - I have a DTS disc for my cars system - and it sounds great - in my car. But side by side, on my home system, hands down, DTS HD MA.

I fully agree with you on DTS ma. I see most of the blu-ray I rented are DTS ma, with only a few that are DD HD audio.

There is no need for a movie on a DVD-Video just as for other multichannel formats like DVD-Audio and SACD...
BTW: There is no lossless compression audio format for DVD-Video.

There's a reason I use the word 'typically'. Also the word 'disc'.

The vast majority of DVD-V discs were created to sell feature-length video. So typically, the video took up a lot of space on the disc. That already ruled out the use of multichannel LPCM in most cases. Hence compression - lossy in this case as there was no lossless audio compression standard when DVD-V was invented. Note too, for years the only way to digitally send the audio to an AVR was via optical or coax S/PDIF interface, which is bandwidth-limited to 2 channels of Redbook PCM.

With DVD-A the expectation was that early adopters would use 6-channel analog connections, not S/PDIF (this was before HDMI rendered them moot). Hence lossless. But typically DVD-As contained other content too, and the lossless audio was expected to be 'high rez' (> 44kHz/16bit), leading to space constraints. Hence compression. (And let's not forget piracy concerns...a proprietary compression/encryption scheme comes in handy there, though it was hacked eventually). DVD-As offering multichannel LPCM rather than MLPCM exist, but are rare.

DTS HD Master Audio and Dolby Digital TrueHD are both lossless audio codecs. There should be no audible difference between the same source coded both ways. Any market superiority of one over the other is due to some reason other than sound.

As for lossless DTS vs DTS 96/24, the evidence proving that one sounds 'hands down' better than the other remains totally anecdotal and highly subject to well-known biases.

However, without some form of (lossy or lossless) compression, 6 channels of PCM audio typically won't 'fit' on a disc that also contains a movie.
first come to mind, my 2 DVDA of Nightwish. both albums contains an un-compressed 5.1 stream in AUDIO_TS
and DD stream plus video clips in VIDEO_TS.

first come to mind, my 2 DVDA of Nightwish. both albums contains an un-compressed 5.1 stream in AUDIO_TS
and DD stream plus video clips in VIDEO_TS.

Yes, such DVD-As exist, as I said. They're rare. I have maybe two or three in my whole collection -- one's an EMI classical 4.0 disc with no video, the other two are Morton Subotnik discs of 4.0 and 5.1, one with a 30-min 'light show' as a feature. I've never seen one with a full-length feature movie on it, usually just 'video clips' at most.

( Btw are you referring to Dark Passion? Audio on that appears to be 48kHz/24 bit 5.1 LPCM -- not traditional 'hi rez', possibly due to space concerns? )

Back