Jethro Tull 5.1 (“Bursting Out” box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in June 2024!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could one of our QQ wise-men chime in here and explain why rights expiring would cause a speeding up of things?

Well, I'll start off by saying that if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know....... (although I'm often referred to as a wise-ass :yikes )

Anyway, the way that I understand it is that British copyright law states that any recording that is fifty years or more old and has never been officially released can legally be released by anyone who can get their hands on the tapes. If the person/entity who owns the rights to the material releases it before the fifty year deadline comes, they extend their ownership of the material for another twenty years.

Last year on Black Friday/Record Store Day, Pink Floyd released a limited edition EP of material recorded prior to the release of The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. The limited release gave them control of the material for another twenty years. It is rumored that we will see a more in depth release of early material from the Floyd later this year. Similarly, in 2013 The Beatles released (via iTunes only) a collection of unreleased 1963 recordings to prevent the recordings from falling into the public domain.

Wikipedia article about The Beatles release.

Wikipedia article about the Pink Floyd release.

I'll add this.
AFAIK, Jethro Tull's recordings have always been owned by Chrysalis Records. Now the ownership of Chrysalis Records has changed over the years since they ceased to be a completely independent label. For the longest time, the label was under the control of EMI, but since the great EMI dissolution, Chrysalis was picked up by Warner Music, so there's two other possible scenarios: Jethro Tull's recordings could eventually fall under new ownership, or Chrysalis Records could still keep ahold of Jethro Tull's recordings while the entire label falls under new ownership.
(Of course this is all speculation and gabbing. Take it as you will…) ;)

I'll add this.
AFAIK, Jethro Tull's recordings have always been owned by Chrysalis Records. Now the ownership of Chrysalis Records has changed over the years since they ceased to be a completely independent label. For the longest time, the label was under the control of EMI, but since the great EMI dissolution, Chrysalis was picked up by Warner Music, so there's two other possible scenarios: Jethro Tull's recordings could eventually fall under new ownership, or Chrysalis Records could still keep ahold of Jethro Tull's recordings while the entire label falls under new ownership.
(Of course this is all speculation and gabbing. Take it as you will…) ;)

So Ian Anderson does not even own his songs? No wonder he hates everyone and wish to depopulate the planet.

So Ian Anderson does not even own his songs? No wonder he hates everyone and wish to depopulate the planet.

He might own the publishing rights for his songs, but not the recording rights for those recorded versions released by Jethro Tull. There's always two different rights at play.

Just so everyone knows, the Jethro Tull fan magazine "A New Day" have doubled down on their comments about the remixed "Stand Up" edition being released sometime during the summer followed by "Songs from the Wood" in the fall.
They were right about the reissue of "Aqualung" in the spring, so let's see if they're right about these other releases (currently) set for this year! :)

In many interviews Ian mentions climbing through his barn searching for the multitrack tapes, not sure if this is his humor coming out but why would he have the tapes?

In many interviews Ian mentions climbing through his barn searching for the multitrack tapes, not sure if this is his humor coming out but why would he have the tapes?

Some of it is tongue-in-cheek I'm sure, but in other instances, he probably does have certain tapes containing studio outtakes or maybe some of the live performances.

Some of it is tongue-in-cheek I'm sure, but in other instances, he probably does have certain tapes containing studio outtakes or maybe some of the live performances.

Certain tapes???? No, he has the multi tracks for many of the Tull albums. Yes complete 24 track 2" tapes for many many albums.

http://jethrotull.proboards.com/post/17629/thread
Two images from the old official site of the archive at Grange Farm which was the location of Kenny Wylie's office when the Anderson's lived at Radnage.
Mastertapes1.jpg
Mastertapes2.jpg

The following page from 2002
It has been ten years since the last live Tull album, A Little Light Music - a mainly acoustic performance of Tull songs taken from various locations. Before that, there was the Bursting Out album in 1978. Live material was also featured in the 1971 album, Living In The Past as well as the 20th and 25th Anniversary collections.
All of these recordings feature the different line-ups of the band at their best. Well, maybe not their very, very best, since the tape never seems to be rolling on that particular night………. dammit!

The tracks for this album have been culled from a November 2001 concert at London's Hammersmith Apollo as well as other live performances. Some of these have been acoustic sessions for Radio and TV, which occasionally produce some sparkling and intimate moments. So, rather than simply mirror the audio track of the now released Jethro Tull DVD, also titled Living With The Past, we tried to broaden the mix of material to satisfy the intrepid (and rich) fanatics who might actually buy both!

We welcome back Dave Pegg as well as Mick Abrahams, Clive Bunker and Glenn Cornick from the original Tull 1968 line-up who feature in guest performance.

We actually have recorded every Tull show for a couple of decades. Sometimes the recordings live only long enough for one or two of us to check out the following day before re-using the tapes or discs. Sometimes they find their way to the shelves of my studio, to gather dust and dung beetles before being hauled out so we can relearn some long forgotten arrangement from previous years.

They are recorded from the front of house mixing console and represent the audio signal going into the PA system, thus sometimes being an unflattering representation of the sound - being without the ambience, audience response and sometimes appalling echorama which besets many shows. Listening to these tapes is often like seeing ourselves, all tousled hair (shouldn't use that word), in the bathroom mirror first thing in the morning - before we chaps have put on our faces for the day and pulled the tummy in a bit. However - with a bit of a shave, sh*t and a h**rcut, we can sometimes transform these bald (shouldn't use that word either) and stark recordings into something often quite - well - average. There are a few real winners 'though. Never mind - all of these dusty-shelf tapes knock any bootleg I have ever heard into a cocked h**rpiece.

I hope you enjoy these recordings, which represent the last few years of Tull's work. I know there will be many favourites missing - some of my personal bests are absent here - but perhaps if you are good, promise to brush your teeth and not stay up too late, there might be some more of this stuff available before too long. The future benefits of a good e-commerce website may allow us to market product that would not be suitable for the conventional record company or traditional retail outlet where increasing competition for space favours the latest boy band or plastic diva.

So sit back, relax, put your feet up, close your eyes and listen to the music. And put your seat belt on first.

Regards,

IA

Well as long as Ian Anderson (or someone else!) has the full multitrack tapes (with no songs missing) for both "Songs from the Wood" and "Heavy Horses", that's all I care about. "Stand Up" won't benefit (pardon the pun!) as much from a surround mix as those other two mentioned so that's where I have my ears yearning for the time being! :)

Well as long as Ian Anderson (or someone else!) has the full multitrack tapes (with no songs missing) for both "Songs from the Wood" and "Heavy Horses", that's all I care about. "Stand Up" won't benefit (pardon the pun!) as much from a surround mix as those other two mentioned so that's where I have my ears yearning for the time being! :)
Glad to see we are on the same page. Totally agree!
Practicing patience.

Good news on the "Stand Up" edition.

patiently awaiting that one for certain.

Songs From The Wood yea, ok. But I'm not too familiar with "Heavy Horses" I have to admit. But that was and "This Was" would be a welcome surprise for...oh I dunno....next year? ?

I like all TULL.:D

Good news on the "Stand Up" edition.

patiently awaiting that one for certain.

Songs From The Wood yea, ok. But I'm not too familiar with "Heavy Horses" I have to admit. But that was and "This Was" would be a welcome surprise for...oh I dunno....next year? ?

I like all TULL.:D

This is obviously all my opinion and speculation, but I doubt that "This Was" will get remixed again, for a few reasons: Despite the much maligned mastering work of Peter Mew on "Aqualung" and "Thick as a Brick", Peter Mew's stereo remix of "This Was" is actually really good. Plus, given the limitations of the recording at the time, 4-track recordings cannot be exploited in surround sound in the same way that 24, 16, and even 8 track recordings can be.
I think they are right to revisit "Stand Up" as not only could a stereo remix probably improve the sound of that album quite a good bit but it is a very important and well-regarded album in the Tull catalogue that needs to go right alongside all of the other stellar Tull reissues that have been released since 2011, but after that, I hope they jump right to the late 70s 'folk' trilogy to finish things up.

BTW fizzywiggs41, you should check out "Heavy Horses" when you can. The material is not as strong as "Songs from the Wood" is IMHO, but one cool thing is that "Heavy Horses" has less of that synthesized string sound and more real strings just like earlier Tull albums, so those strings should sound amazing in surround when "Heavy Horses" is eventually remixed. :)

Could a quadraphonic mix benefit This Was given the 4 tracks used? Or even better, 4.1?! ;-)

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

I think no matter how it would be done, it would always come up short.
A discrete Quadraphonic approach (with one track in each channel) wouldn't sound good cause that would place the lead vocal off in one corner, and that never sounds good to me at all.
So then, there could be a discrete front and mono surround approach (three discrete tracks in front L, C, and R and the remaining track split between the surround channels,) or discrete surround and mono front approach (two discrete tracks in surround L & R, one track in the C and the remaining track split between front L & R)
But either way, you're still stretching something out too much.

I think they are much better off focusing on "Stand Up" and the late 70s 'folk' trilogy before worrying about any other albums.

Could a quadraphonic mix benefit This Was given the 4 tracks used? Or even better, 4.1?! ;-)

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

To answer your question, yes it is possible, but a lot depends on what is on the actual four tracks.The entire album could be on 2,3, or 4 tracks
?

Sometimes additional tracks contain a different guitar solo, drum, solo, etc.

But if they have individuals (each artist separately), we have a ball game ! (of course age/condition of tape) play the major role in any reissue.

But not to despair-there's always Penteo.

amazon.com are now showing a preorder price of $22.22 for the new "Aqualung" 4-disc set!
This is not a drill people! 4-discs in an 80-page hardbound book for less than $25!
Get on it!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BMW8NRG

It just depends on your situation...as good as that $22.22 price is..unless you spend $49.00 total for your order it's going to cost you $3.98 for shipping...and people like me pay tax...in my case..a total of $27.76...still a good price..BUT...a better situation for ME is HERE..a total of $22.46..

UPDATE 3/22/16....importcds has now raised the price from the super low $18.20 to $27.84...looks like the discounted price ended yesterday...now the amazon price is the lowest HERE

Last edited:
Back