Joseph Shabalala

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
Oof. First Lyle Mays, now Joseph Shabalala. (I still think we need a separate "Obits" forum....) The longtime leader of Ladysmith Black Mambazo (and collaborator with Paul Simon) died yesterday in Praetoria. A giant of South African and "World"--and, really world--music. Time to bust out Long Walk to Freedom.

New York Times obituary by Jon Pareles.

Last edited:
Oof. First Lyle Mays, now Joseph Shabalala. (I still think we need a separate "Obits" forum....) The longtime leader of Ladysmith Black Mambazo (and collaborator with Paul Simon) died yesterday in Praetoria. A giant of South African and "World" (and, really world) music. Time to bust out Long Walk to Freedom.
Yeah, the loss of Joseph Shabalala and Lyle Mays on the same day was a painful one-two punch. Mays was only 66.

The local CBS affiliate never broadcast in stereo until DTV came out and all the live music I taped like the Grammy's prior to then were mono. Made me mad as hell as all the other stations were broadcasting MTS and cable FM.
I still watch that performance today as live shows like that are in rotation on the media server when guest come by.
Great performance

Back