Journey Live In Manila!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
WOW!!!

I expected this DVD to be good because I saw this incarnation of the band live but they are even better now than when I saw them.

This DVD is a treat because it looks great (in 16x9) and sounds even better. Kevin Shirley mixed this one DISCRETE!!!

Where normally on a concert video it might be music upfron and crowd in the back with some fill from the band, this is actually more of a complete discrete mix. You can hear the solos in the rear with just a hint of ambiance and crowd. Jonathan Cain is in the left side with isolated keyboards and rhythm guitar firmly in the rear. Neil Schon is on the right with his guitar work with band in the front and almost no fill to the rear. Arnel Pineda is in the center channel with some spill from the band. Drums are across the front.

I will give you that Pineda, a filipino with some definite diction trouble in spots, is no Steve Perry but he certainly carries off the vocals with his own power.

I really like this disc a lot and highly recommend it for it's high quality. It was shot with new video technology called RED. Some sort of 4k HD camera that gives better resolution than 35mm. I don't know if this will become available in BluRay but if it does I would rebuy it. A point off for a Dolby Digital audio track instead of DTS but it still sounds great.

Oh yeah and it is a 2 disc exclusively at Walmart for $12. You can't beat that deal!!

Thanks for the insightful review Bob, I was on the fence about this since it's not Steve Perry (or Steve Augeri for that matter) but if the PQ and SQ are as good as you say, I'll pick it up next time I'm near a Wal-Mart.

Dan

I'm an old Journey fan. Of course Steve Perry was the most popular singer for them. He quit without warning. Journey was really upset about that. What happened to him? He left as mysteriously as he arrived. Journey found him singing in a bar or small club in California. Steve Agilari continued in about the best fashion that you could expect. He looked like him, sang like him, dressed like him. The new guy is only fair IMHO. You can close your eyes and tell right away it's not Perry or Agilari. The band is still the same, just older. They are supplementing their drained bank accounts, which is what many old Rock stars have to resort to. (whether they still like or talk to each other or not).

Of course Steve Perry was the most popular singer for them. He quit without warning. Journey was really upset about that. What happened to him?

I bet you never expected to see Steve Perry ever again with the rest of Journey, right? From 2005....

S_1.jpg

I bet you never expected to see Steve Perry ever again with the rest of Journey, right? From 2005....

S_1.jpg
Taking a picture togeather as a group, is one thing; talking to each other or playing togeather is something else entirely. I doubt that will ever happen again. By the way, has Steve Perry ever played music again since he quit Journey? Previously, he had a short lived solo career.

Back