Just found this site

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bad_robot

Hi, I've just found this site.
I have
JVC 4VR 5446, sk20 speakers and 4 channel headphones. I even have the 4 channel remote and the cd4 test record,
Marantx Direct Drive turntable with a 4MD10x cartridge (shibata)
Also a B&0 MMC6000 with a praminik stylus that I keep for good. A MMC20 CL-c is broke.
I have a spare 4VR 5446 but due to some board de-lamination in the output board, it does not work but will be a good source of spare parts for the working unit.

I have a number of JVC 4 channel LPs (probably 100 of them as well as some of those Sheffield Lab LPs). The last cd4 LP is James Taylor Gorilla. Nice separation.

I notice there is a thing called a service manual. Is this a real service manual or just the user manual?

Also, where do yous get your cd4 cartridges ? Only asking as I would assume that none is manufactured now. Luckily i've got spare dt10x stylii.

Welcome! Gorilla is an excellent CD-4 LP.

There are folks here with info about cartridges. Hang in there and see if they stop by!

Welcome!

Although there aren't any cartridges made today advertised as being specifically for CD-4, there are several that will work.

I use an Audio Technica AT440MLa, which has what they call a micro-linear stylus. This means it has a very small radius from front to back and a relatively large contact area vertically. It works very well for CD-4. (y)

This type of stylus is actually an advancement of the original Shibata made for CD-4. :smokin

There are other cartridges on the market with similar styli that I'm sure will also be satisfactory. Any one with high compliance and the right stylus should be OK.

Alternatively, you can keep an eye on eBay as there are vintage CD-4 cartridges from the old days that appear there fairly frequently. ;)

Doug

Back