jvc quad

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

426hemi

dont know much about this sysytem other than its one of the first gen quad systems that became available in the early 70s.more info would be great if anyone knows more.......

Attachments

• SAM_1682.jpg
    SAM_1682.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 595
We've seen these units before, someone here could tell you much more. That's a real nice looking unit you have there. It probably has SQ and CD-4 record playback I'm guessing.

Also, there are most likely inputs for 4 track player of some kind in the back somewhere. If so, a DVD-Audio/SACD DVD player with RCA outputs could be hooked up. You would then turn of the center and sub on the DVD player as they're not needed as your speakers are full range.

They sure don't make them like this anymore, real classy with wood, futuristic looking.

OQG, my recollection is selling the same chassis, sans the wooden case, and with smaller speakers. This cabinet version was probably not marketed in the US. I don't believe that JVC/Panasonic/National/Technics/Matsushita ever offered a bonafide SQ decoder in any of their equipment. At least, we never saw one in my store. They'd be paying a license fee to their competition, CBS/Sony. Although JVC is a different company from Matsushita/Panasonic, they own the contolling stake in JVC. Yet, it certainly has matrix decoding and Quad synthesizing from 2ch sources. JVC and Panasonic used their proprietary matrix circuits.

426 hemi, if you provide us with the model # and/or research it on the net, it will answer wheteher this piece has a built-in CD-4 demodulator and/or 4-channel line in, as well as performance specs. BEWARE: compact systems back then could have been rated on a variety of power scales: IHF, IPP (instantaneous peak power), I poo poo (just kidding), IPMP, or RMS. RMS is the rating system which quality component equipment used back then, as well as now.

Linda

We've seen these units before, someone here could tell you much more. That's a real nice looking unit you have there. It probably has SQ and CD-4 record playback I'm guessing.

Also, there are most likely inputs for 4 track player of some kind in the back somewhere. If so, a DVD-Audio/SACD DVD player with RCA outputs could be hooked up. You would then turn of the center and sub on the DVD player as they're not needed as your speakers are full range.

They sure don't make them like this anymore, real classy with wood, futuristic looking.

appreciate the responses......all ive learnt so far is that the unit in the cab looks identical to what ive come to know as a 4mm 1000.seems like it was standard practice for these companys to release complete packages like mine to compliment the stand alone units???have seen a pioneer quad system enclosed like mine with complimentory speakers not long ago.....looked beautiful.

you in texas - i was going to drive and get that - but i lost my drive.

i used to huff gasoline a lot - one of my dads caught me and made me go mow the lawn - 'thats what that shits for"
i mowed and mowed and mowed and got slower and slower and then i just stood there in the sun baking for hours like a dead tree - no movement.
mom came rushing up all drunk - tony wassrong wit you?

ma - i rannoutta gas

cheers all

william anthony reid

An old thread....but I'll add a bit of info.....

These cabinet (Quad) systems were the most common Quad units marketed here in Australia in the early to mid-70's...there's heaps of them, and they turn up in second hand shops (..or on ebay) here in Melbourne quite regularly. The basic cabinet was identical in most I've seen, into which several brands put (..usually) a Quad Receiver & a turntable, without the receivers usual outer case. (...which you discover if you take them apart... :( )....I've seen Pioneer, Onkyo, Panasonic, Sharp, Sanyo, JVC...etc. I had a Pioneer version...a low powered unit (about 8 watts x 4) which I'd guess was based on their early 70's low end QX-x000 Quad stuff (They don't list a model number on the actual unit). It had SQ, RM & CD4 all built in, which was pretty unusual for a low end receiver. Despite its budget status, it sounded very good, a nice, warm 70's solid state (...full of Nichicon Capacitors instead of the usual Elna's) ...with a excellent AM/FM tuner, and one of the best AM sections I've heard. The built in turntable was not very good & I used an outboard one connected to the units surprisingly decent phono stage. The Quad decoding from memory was typically early 70's ordinary, but I didn't use the onboard Quad much. I did connect my DVD player to it for a while and it sounded quite good with 5.1 mixed down to 4.0. The speakers they come with I've heard are pretty run of the mill (..mine didn't come with them)....but the receiver sounded decent connected to proper Hi-Fi speakers.

The reason these existed, was that the mark up on great deal of "Proper" Hi-Fi in OZ back then was considerable...even when the Aussie dollar was pretty high, and that mostly priced the component stuff (..even low end..) generally out of reach of the average joe and this all-in-one stuff worked out more affordable.

If your an Aussie, don't pay too much for one of these, they are fairly common, nice sounding but with limited inputs (just phono, no aux & only tape in/out connection on mine...with non-standard speaker connections which you might need to solder new plugs for..) and low power....despite all that, I did like mine enough at the time to salvage it out of the cabinet and build a new case for it, to make it more "portable"....

When Quad was hot, our store sold Quad compacts from Sony, Pioneer/Centrex and JVC. Our seperate Quad receivers were Marantz, Pioneer and JVC. I can't speak for what was sold in OZ. Here in the US, the parts of a compact system were never sold seperately, other than the BSR (remember them?) turntables some manufacturers used. The Pioneer/Centrex compacts weren't the same receivers as the QRX- line. The power, decoding, fidelity and inputs were pretty limited. Most had ceramic phono cartridges. If they offered CD-4, it was usually a semi-conductor cartridge. Nearly all used RCA (phono) plugs to connect the speakers. Although some offered tape in/out connections, none featured an actual tape monitor, where an external processor, decoder, or three-head tape deck could be "looped" through.

In the '80's, most rack systems sold in the US were essentially the same as compacts. The racks often used a single power supply to run all the "components." Often, the "components" could not even be physically separated, as they were a common chassis. I'm referring to the all-in-one racks, not seperate components placed within a rack or 19" rack mount pro or semi-pro gear.

The basic cabinet was identical in most I've seen, into which several brands put (..usually) a Quad Receiver & a turntable, without the receivers usual outer case. (...which you discover if you take them apart... )

...nice sounding but with limited inputs (just phono, no aux & only tape in/out connection on mine...with non-standard speaker connections which you might need to solder new plugs for..)

......I found a photo of the Pioneer, sitting vertically, minus cabinet...with the new case I built for it. The cabinate this came out of was identical to the one pictured in the OP. I've seen pictures of this as a regular component....i.e not built into a cabinate but not quite sure what the model number was...maybe QX-2000 or 3000???. I suspect this might have been Pioneer's entry level QX Quad unit for 1971/72...

Pioneer Console Quad.jpg

Wow, Quadrockasaurus! That is like no compact system I've ever seen in the US! Whether or not it was ever sold seperately, that IS surely a receiver. The tape monitor is the biggest difference, as compacts don't have it. Although some stereo models had mic mixing, I don't recall that on a Pioneer Quad. The styling and knobs look like QX-4000/8000, which didn't have a CD-4 demodulator. Circa 1972 would be my guess. I did a Yahoo search and couldn't find QX-2000 or 3000. Since 5-pin DIN plugs weren't popular in the US, I've never seen that on a front panel. Most receivers that offered front panel tape connections came much later in the US. My 1978 Philips preamp offers two 1/4" stereo jacks for tape in/out on the front panel. Likely they were DIN's on the versions sold in other countries.

Likely the non-standard speaker connections of which you speak are the typical Pioneer proprietary speaker plugs of that era. My recollection is that the plug had two flat pins, one horizontal and one vertical, encased in black plastic. We had to stock them as spare parts, as people tended to lose them. "The dog ate my speaker plugs." In the US, the stereo SX-525, 727, etc, circa 1972-73 were the last to use them. I believe that QX-4000/8000 were the last Quads to use them. The QX-949, SX-838, etc., circa 1973-74 accepted bare speaker wires. What a relief for most dealers.

When QX-4000 and 8000 were discontinued, we made a deal with Pioneer to buy remaining stock. We sold the 4000 for $299 and the 8000 for $399. QX-4000 flew out the door, as we featured it in a package for $499. Included was a turntable and 4 proprietary (house brand) speakers. With radio and newspaper (remember those?) ads to support it, it was a hugely successful promotion. A component Quad system for little more than a compact!

Quadrockasaurus, you have superb woodworking skills! I would have guessed that was a Pioneer case.

......I found a photo of the Pioneer, sitting vertically, minus cabinet...with the new case I built for it. The cabinate this came out of was identical to the one pictured in the OP. I've seen pictures of this as a regular component....i.e not built into a cabinate but not quite sure what the model number was...maybe QX-2000 or 3000???. I suspect this might have been Pioneer's entry level QX Quad unit for 1971/72...

View attachment 4868

Quadrockasaurus:

Nice pile of gear! Does it keep the room warm when powered Up? :D

Justin

Likely the non-standard speaker connections of which you speak are the typical Pioneer proprietary speaker plugs of that era. My recollection is that the plug had two flat pins, one horizontal and one vertical, encased in black plastic. We had to stock them as spare parts, as people tended to lose them. "The dog ate my speaker plugs." In the US, the stereo SX-525, 727, etc, circa 1972-73 were the last to use them. I believe that QX-4000/8000 were the last Quads to use them. The QX-949, SX-838, etc., circa 1973-74 accepted bare speaker wires. What a relief for most dealers.

Quadrockasaurus, you have superb woodworking skills! I would have guessed that was a Pioneer case.

In my case....the dog ate the rectangular speaker plugs...and replaced the rectangular ones with round ones..!!! ..yep, another :yikes variation...thank you Pioneer. ..!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the kind words on my modest woodworking skills...:)...FYI...cheap assemble-it-yourself office furniture is a very cheap source of nice wooden panels, which is what I used to build the case.

Quadrockasaurus:

Nice pile of gear! Does it keep the room warm when powered Up? :D

Justin

Lol.....Yea.....I really have to clear this stuff out... it's mostly all just low end & non-functioning stuff in storage I found at a charity shop near where I used to work....I'd go in every day in my lunch hour and see if they had anything interesting. (...being a hi-fi nut, ...everything was interesting...) It's mostly just entry level or the occasional mid ranger....(..mostly) nothing flash really.

bb497.JPGI have never seen consoles like those. I like the JVC equipment, especially with the JoySticks. If you are patient you can get them at a good price.

I took that photo to document the poorly packed and torn up box that contained a Teac cassette deck. It was one of the worst packed items I have received.
So I was venting some frustration and why include some Firearms and a Cane Knife. THe audio Gods smiled on me and the Teac was not damaged. Amazingbb532.JPG

What a coincidence I also have a dog and x wife, plus a daughter that just turned 17. Just eleven months left for child support. I live in a state that allows you to carry a concealed weapon, just pass a background check and take a class.

I work 2nd shift and get home a midnight, so I have to walk the dog several times before I go to sleep. Usually around 5 or 6am, and I do met people out on our walks at 1, 2, 3 or 4am. Yes I live in a "nice area" but dirtbags have cars and you never know when you are in the wrong place and wrong time. So I carry the 38 or the 40caliber Glock.

I grew up in the sixties, before everyone hit a homerun and everyone gets a trophy. I have like firearms since I was little and I still do, so now that I am close to 60 years old I carry some insurance. Plus I have Mr. Moto my 65 pound Sharpei Bear coat (his parents had recessive genes from the Chow). He has green eyes that glow orange when illuminated. He had 4 kills to his credit all possums, but he goes after anything if he get the chance.bblouie9.JPGbb4417loi.JPG

He removed most of the verticles in the window (he said he had a work order, but couldn't produce it) so he could see the front yard better to protect the house. Anyone that comes to the door and rings the door bell get to see who's barking at them. The FedX delivery person won't even come to the door, I have to go thru the garage if I have to sign for a package. He's just doing his job, so you can see why I carry a pistol when I walk with "FLuffy".

Back