Keating "250 Years of Film Music" - rears reversed?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
This probably falls squarely in the "who cares?" category, since I doubt anyone spends much time listening to this album, but I thought I'd share this anyway. As best as I can tell from the decoding I did in Adobe Audition, the rear channels of John Keating's "250 Years of Film Music" are swapped. Reversing them improved the sound field immensely.

Also, as a side note, there are some *serious* low frequencies in some of these pieces. The bass drum in "Romeo & Juliet" just kicks you in the gut!

J. D.

I have an SQ of this album. It is one of my least favorite Quads. On the other hand, I have a Q8 & SQ of Space Experience, which is one of my favorite Quads. Perhaps I'll give this one another spin.

01956S.JPG

john+keating+space_front.jpg

I have an SQ of this album. It is one of my least favorite Quads. On the other hand, I have a Q8 & SQ of Space Experience, which is one of my favorite Quads. Perhaps I'll give this one another spin.

View attachment 10367

View attachment 10368

The Star Trek theme on the Space Experience disc is a total joy! I love the whole album - brilliant orchestration with a lively quad mix. I've not heard of the other but I'd like to.

The music on 250 is vastly different from Space Experience, and the orchestrations are mundane, with no electronic instruments.

Sounds like the exact opposite! I have a huge affection for the big band orchestration and genuinely believe that some of the most sublime and downright swinging material ever made came from the instruments of a lot of middle aged session players and its a shame Keating didn't tackle the 250 album with the same verve. I'd have loved to hear Rhapsody In Blue with a sympathetic and moving quad mix.

Back