Ken Caillat & Claus Trelby IAA Interview

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Covers their work on the Fleetwood Mac 5.1's, Joni Mitchell Atmos mixes, and more! There's one news bulletin in there that I think will interest a lot of folks here...
https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/qa-...s-trelby-award-winning-immersive-mixing-team/
Great job, Jonathan!

I love this remark from Caillat: "When we did the 5.1 [of Rumours], all the extra space allowed us to use that other material we’d originally recorded. That’s my thinking: if we had something that didn’t work in stereo–but does fit in 5.1 or Atmos–I’ll put it in." I understand the various forces, both internal and external, that drive some (re-)mixers to feel they have to "respect" the original stereo mix, but Caillat's attitude towards surround mixing makes so much more sense.

Their discussion of binaural recording--and how Dolby Atmos Binaural differs from true binaural--is also really enlightening. They're fairly generous (and optimistic--and realistic) about the whole topic, but I still give their opening remark a big thumbs-up: "we feel that the true home of an Atmos or spatial mix is a multi-speaker system. The [Dolby Atmos] binaural will get better over time, but it’s an algorithm. It’s just math rather than true binaural recording, which can sound amazing."

There was de-mix tech on For the Roses which is interesting. I like the comment about how the .1 channel is redundant, which is so true. The picture with Joni choked me up a bit near the end.

Back