King Crimson 2014 tour dates

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert van Diggele

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
King Crimson is going to tour this year, with the line up as follows:

Gavin Harrison (drums), Bill Rieflin (drums), Pat Mastelotto (drums), Tony Levin (bass and vocals), Mel Collins (Sax, flute), Jakko Jakszyk (guitar, vocals), and Robert Fripp (guitar).

Currently the following dates are mentioned on dgmlive.com, going on sale Friday the 6 th of June

Tue 9 Sep Albany, NY The Egg
Wed 10 Sep Albany, NY The Egg
Fri 12 Sep Philadelphia, PA Verizon Hall
Sat 13 Sep Philadelphia, PA Verizon Hall
Mon 15 Sep Boston, MA Colonial Theatre
Tue 16 Sep Boston, MA Colonial Theatre
Thu 18 Sep New York, NY Best Buy
Fri 19 Sep New York, NY Best Buy
Sat 20 Sep New York, NY Best Buy
Tue 23 Sep Madison, WI Barrymore Theatre
Thu 25 Sep Chicago, IL The Vic Theatre
Fri 26 Sep Chicago, IL The Vic Theatre
Tue 30 Sep Los Angeles, CA Orpheum Theatre
Wed 01 Oct Los Angeles, CA Orpheum Theatre
Fri 03 Oct San Francisco, CA The Warfield
Sat 04 Oct San Francisco, CA The Warfield
Mon 06 Oct Seattle, WA Moore Theater
image.jpg

Doesn't look likely that I will make it to a KC concert this year, which is unfortunate as this would be my top must see show of the year, but I doubt I could afford the necessary expenses and time it would take to travel to one of these shows. I hope there's more next year… :(

On the bright side, at least I'll have more money to save to spend on that gigantic "Starless" box set. :)

No dates there that I'd travel to, and in some ways I'm glad. I think my $ will be better spent (and enjoyed more) on the Starless box.

With no Adrian Belew, they'll likely be pulling out a lot of the pre-Discipline songs. Mr. Belew had once said that he didn't like to play songs that he didn't originally sing on. This was much to my dismay, as I had never seen them without him; my first show was the double trio tour of 1995. Jakko has proven that he can take on all the early vocal stuff convincingly.

I am so there! :smokin(y):bounce:friday:

The first concert I was hoping to go to was KC at Merriweather Post Pavilion (when they were promoting either Discipline or Beat) ...my parents felt I was too young (14 or 15) to go to a 'rock show'

and now I have tickets to see them in LA on 1 Oct..first time seeing the Crim...and almost in disbelief...can't wait :)

thanks everyone for indulging my excitement :-D

I saw King Crimson’s Friday and Saturday performances at the Vic Theater in Chicago this weekend, and I am still reeling from the experience. SPOILER ALERT! - This post lists and discusses the songs that the band played on their current tour, so if the reader is planning on seeing them on this tour and is wanting to be surprised, then they should obviously stop reading.

Robert Fripp seemed to be having a great time playing the songs, as he was often caught doing something I rarely had seen him do over the years in concert: smile. And there was plenty to smile about given the depth of the setlist which delved deep into four of the band’s first six albums. I never thought I would experience live versions of songs off ”Islands”, “In the Wake of the Poseidon” and “In the Court of the Crimson King” - albums which they haven’t visited live in over 40 years. They had more recently played material from “Lark’s Tongue in Aspic” and “Red”, but this is the first time I had ever heard “One More Red Nightmare” and “Starless” live. Interestingly, they skipped over their whole 1980’s output; the remainder of the material was plucked from “THRAK”, “The Construction of Light”, “The Power to Believe”, as well as the recent Jakszyk, Fripp and Collins release “Scarcity of Miracles”.

The addition of Mel Collins in the band was the linchpin in this version standing out from other incarnations of the band that I had seen. The Collins’ wind instrument work that peppered the set was essential for their early material and tastefully added to their later work.

Having seen him drum with Porcupine Tree many times, I noticed Gavin Harrison to be more relaxed in the triple drum arrangement, likely because he doesn’t have to shoulder the burden of being the sole drummer. I caught him smiling multiple times as well, which had rarely been the case at a PT show. Pat Mastelotto channeled “Lark’s Tongue”percussionist Jamie Muir convicingly on that material and new drummer Bill Rieflin, the least technically proficient of the three, worked well as an anchor and also added some nice Mellotron/keyboard flourishes when needed. It was interesting seeing the interplay amongst the three drummers. When it worked, which was most of the time, it was awe-inspiring. The only time that I didn’t feel the flow of the drums was in the new drum arrangement for “Red” which in certain sections seemed a little stiff to me. Overall, however, the arrangements enhanced the songs.

Tony Levin was on top of his game as usual, playing bass in favor of the stick for most of the night. At one point, he bowed a stand-up bass, using the tiniest bow I had ever seen, to great effect.

Jakko’s voice was perfect for the Greg Lake, John Wetton and Boz Burrell tracks, and he played nicely as second guitarist. Notably absent, however, was the second guitar doubling up with Fripp on the monster riff in the middle section of “Level 5” (Jakko didn’t attempt to play it).

Of all the incarnations I have seen of King Crimson, I have to say this was my favorite. This is not a slight to Adrien Belew, who I think is a brilliant guitar player. However, the absence of Belew enabled them to play alot of their earlier material, which had been sorely missing in their setlists since the 1980s. Without Belew, Fripp seems to be in charge and shining on his own with great confidence.

Of special note were the two rear speakers at the Vic Theater on the main level that were fed with discrete sounds. Although I missed the quadraphonic effect on Friday (the balcony lacked rear speakers), I did hear it on Saturday, when I sat on the main floor. Unfortunately, my seats were too close to the stage to get a proper, balanced surround effect. There were times though when the effect could not be missed (like when a swooshing Fripp guitar swirled around and around in the room).

King Crimson played three nights in Chicago, but the following setlist from Friday night is pretty representative of the songs from all three nights (the exact setlists from the tour thus far can be found at setlist.fm).

1. Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part One
2. The Talking Drum
3. Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part Two
4. Hell Bells
5. The ConstruKction of Light
6. One More Red Nightmare
7. A Scarcity of Miracles
8. Pictures of a City
9. Level Five
10. Interlude
11. The Letters
12. Sailor's Tale
13. The Light of Day
14. Red
15. Starless
16. Encore: Hell Hounds Of Krim
17. 21st Century Schizoid Man

I was also at the Saturday show in NYC. I was in the third row, so it was hard for me to hear the rear speakers...those drums were vicious! As amazing as the Thrak show was, this one hit me even harder because of the song choices. I'm also glad to see Jakko in the band. What makes KC so interesting is the constant change. I often wondered what the 90s lineup would have sounded like if David Sylvian had joined as originally planned.

Seeing Mel having a good time (and waving at me!) really made it special. I was happy with Pat's role on the drums. I was never really a fan of him in the past, but he came thru with the crashing cymbals and electronic effects. I really want a new album from this lineup. This band is MADE for surround.

I will be attending LA show Oct 1st in the rear of the orchestra section on the Gavin Harrison side. That should be right of center about mid-way back. Looking forward to this show, some 40 years after my first KC show also in LA.

From QQ deep space

The spoiler didn't spoil a thing - I am now even more excited about seeing this show. I'll be attending the Oct. 4 show in San Francisco at the Warfield.

I first heard, "In the Court.." when my older brother & his friends purchased it for $1.00 from Goodwill, because they liked the cover! I couldn't figure out what a Mellotron was, so I went to the record store to check out some other albums and ended up picking up "Three of a Perfect Pair" (it had just been released). The contrast between the 2 albums, to my 15 year old ears, was unsettling and further piqued my interest. The 5.1 re-issues are fantastic.

Never thought I'd get a chance to hear "Schizoid Man" performed by Fripp.
This year has seen a lot of activity for bands that I thought were too obscure for anyone else to care about. I saw PFM in April (Cruise to the Edge) - Tony Levin was busy on the cruise taking snapshots, when he wasn't performing with the Stick Men. I ran into him having a conversation with John Wetton (on the cruise, performing with U.K.) on one of the decks. A bit surreal, but very cool.

Just read that Lucifer's Friend is reforming at the beginning of 2015, with the original lineup (sans drummer, who has passed away) and releasing a 'best of' which will include a few new tracks. Even more encouraging, the band is planning on performing a few dates. Looks like I'll be planning a vacation to Hamburg, sometime next year.

Thanks for the spoiler - I'm sure the 70's never sounded so good!

Back