King Crimson--Eyes Wide Open

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zabble

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
I am happy to report the new King Crimson DVD "Eyes Wide Open" (from their 2003 tour)---to be very discrete with instruments coming from the rear speakers as well as the front. One note: the center channel is not used at all, so what you have here is a modern day quad mix.

If you're at all into progressive rock or ...um... shall I say... "challenging" music, this is one to pick up.

zabble said:
I am happy to report the new King Crimson DVD "Eyes Wide Open" (from their 2003 tour)---to be very discrete with instruments coming from the rear speakers as well as the front. One note: the center channel is not used at all, so what you have here is a modern day quad mix.

If you're at all into progressive rock or ...um... shall I say... "challenging" music, this is one to pick up.

Couldn't agree more! Brilliant stuff! Quad in the 21st century, and sounding better than ever! They've been rather creative with the mix too, especially in Robert Fripp's soundscape moments. Crowning glory: the second DVD of Crimson live in 2000. I was actually at that very concert with my girlfriend of the time, who really isn't into this sort of music.
Surprise surprise -before or since, I've never seen her look so shocked -or impressed. Two hours later, she confessed she'd never seen anything like it, or better musicians.
Even if you don't like King Crimson, this will knock you back in your chair: one thing I can promise; you'll be in awe of these men. Nothing visually fancy -just brilliant musicianship. Buy!
Scott

Is it me or is Disc 2 - the 2000 concerts- in Dolby Stereo ONLY?
I have tried my best to get the oppo to play the 5.1 mix, but it only says "Audio 1/1 DD"

Well , it sez "Dolby Surround" on the box....

Just watched it...Brilliant!!!
My favorite is Disc 2, somehow the 2000 tour was more "ballsy"...

The mix has some elements on the rears...but it's still Dullbee (better than nothing , though)

I also noticed something very curious...On the bottom photo on the left page in the booklet -page 8 -across from where Disc 2 contents...there's ME in the front row in front of Trey, which is where I was standing, so they used the "La Riviera" photo...HOW COOL IS THAT?????!!!!! All of these years of owning it and NOW I notice!!!!

That is cool!

Reminds me of Curt Smith (Tears For Fears) watching Discipline (before they reverted to KC name) gig from front row @ Mole UK in 1981.

That is cool!

Reminds me of Curt Smith (Tears For Fears) watching Discipline (before they reverted to KC name) gig from front row @ Mole UK in 1981.

Wow, didn't know that...btw, the TFF reference is curious since I share the birthday with Roland (and Tori Amos, Vernon Reid....)

Cheers from my hospital bed :)

Back