Kinks in surround-sound!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cai Campbell

In Remembrance
Since 2002/2003
I'm kind of surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but it looks like the Kinks catalog is starting to roll out on SACD. At first I wasn't going to bite since I already got sucked into buying their entire catalog when the discs were reissued on HDCD. But lo-and-behold the new SACD issues have a multichannel layer!

I don't know what titles are planned for release, but I was able to pick up four titles at Silver Platters (local Mom & Pop outfit):

- Muswell Hillbillies
- Schoolboys In Disgrace
- Misfits
- Give The People What They Want

I didn't have time to give them a spin but I'm pretty excited to see these in multichannel format. I hope they've been done right. I'm especially anxious to hear Misfits. Has anyone had a chance to check out the surround mix? I'm keen on hearing any opinions.

Thanks for the heads up. This is the first time I heard of these. Looks like I'll have to seek these out. Cool! :D :bounce

I had heard of these, but not about the MC layer... so I chose to ignore them. Thanks for pointing out that they are MC :)

Cai Campbell said:
I'm kind of surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but it looks like the Kinks catalog is starting to roll out on SACD. At first I wasn't going to bite since I already got sucked into buying their entire catalog when the discs were reissued on HDCD. But lo-and-behold the new SACD issues have a multichannel layer!

I don't know what titles are planned for release, but I was able to pick up four titles at Silver Platters (local Mom & Pop outfit):

- Muswell Hillbillies
- Schoolboys In Disgrace
- Misfits
- Give The People What They Want

I didn't have time to give them a spin but I'm pretty excited to see these in multichannel format. I hope they've been done right. I'm especially anxious to hear Misfits. Has anyone had a chance to check out the surround mix? I'm keen on hearing any opinions.
What makes you think there is a MC layer? Are you sure it isn't the same thing that happened with the Creedence SACDs--A MC sticker on the jewel box of a stereo-only release? PLEASE listen ASAP, so we can be sure. And if they ARE in 5.1, then what's going to happen with Low Budget & Everybody's In Show Biz?

I bought all four titles, and every one of them has the usual [ STEREO | SURROUND SOUND ] boxed blurb printed on the back of the cover (no sticker). I really hope this is not a misprint... :(

Like I said, I haven't had a chance to listen to them, but they are clearly labeled as surround-sound titles.

Cai Campbell said:
As usual, our friends at High Fidelity Review are on top of the situation:

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=14697368

Curiously, though, there is no mention of the multichannel layer...

That's because they are Hybrid Stereo SACDs - not Multichannel.

The Kinks SACDs have a Stereo SACD sticker on the front and then the SACD Info Bar on the back that says Surround Sound. As with the Robert Earl Keen SACDs from Koch earlier this month, all are Stereo SACD. The Surround Sound mentions on the Info Bar are in error.

Damnit! How frickin' difficult is to get the packaging right? This just pisses me off. I already bought the whole Kinks catalog on HDCD and the only reason I bought these titles was because of the surround-sound blurb. I have to seriously question whether this was really a "mistake" or just a way for KOCH to stick it to us one more time.

:flame

I just sent KOCH a nasty letter ([email protected]). KOCH and Vevel done NOTHING to alert consumers to this error. They could have done a recall, supplied a correction sticker, issued a press release, provided a notice on their website; SOMETHING, for cryin' out loud! I won't be purchasing any more KOCH/Vevel product. Fuc|< 'em. I don't have time to play stupid games with incompetent or irresponsible firms like this.

This is one of the things that really irritates me concerning SACD. This has happened again and again, and yet it still happens.

I know, SACD is not a pure M/C product like DVD-A, but still, if it's marked MC, it should be MC.

I know, SACD is not a pure M/C product like DVD-A, but still, if it's marked MC, it should be MC.[/QUOTE]

DVD-A isn't pure MC either. I have a couple of Hi-Rez DVD Audio discs that are stereo only, but sound great. At least I knew in advance what I was buying!

DPLII anyone?

mrindenver said:
I know, SACD is not a pure M/C product like DVD-A, but still, if it's marked MC, it should be MC.

DVD-A isn't pure MC either. I have a couple of Hi-Rez DVD Audio discs that are stereo only, but sound great. At least I knew in advance what I was buying!

DPLII anyone?[/QUOTE]

I have to agree The Neil Young Discs I have are very clearly marked as Stereo discs.
A lot of SACD disc are not clearly marked and some are not marked at all. A bonus if you like Hi Rez. but how are you supposed to know ?

Caveat Emptor :mad:@:

rusinurbe said:

I have to agree The Neil Young Discs I have are very clearly marked as Stereo discs.

A lot of SACD disc are not clearly marked and some are not marked at all. A bonus if you like Hi Rez. but how are you supposed to know ?

Caveat Emptor :mad:@:

The Kinks SACDs are marked twice. A large grey Hybrid Stereo SACD sticker on the front and the Info Bar with the SACD Surround Sound notation on the back.

I've alerted the packaging folks that they need to fix the back cover so it is in sync with the Stereo SACD sticker in the front on future Koch SACD releases.

In the store here they have a stereo hybrid sticker on the front and MC on the box. I'm glad I know to avoid them now (n)

I must have gone through adjusting my player four or five times looking for the suround on 'Misfits'. I guess I should have gone here first. BUMMER!

JonUrban said:
This is one of the things that really irritates me concerning SACD. This has happened again and again, and yet it still happens.

No now there is a company doing Stereo Only DVD-A.

A big fav of mine came out on DVD-A (SWAG Catch All) and to my shock when I put the disc in my Acura it did not play at all. I took a close look at the disc and was dissapointed to see it was stereo only.

BIG DISAPOINTMENT

blackbirdr said:
No now there is a company doing Stereo Only DVD-A.

A big fav of mine came out on DVD-A (SWAG Catch All) and to my shock when I put the disc in my Acura it did not play at all. I took a close look at the disc and was dissapointed to see it was stereo only.

BIG DISAPOINTMENT
Then it's NOT a DVD-A. It's probably a 96/24 DVD.

Back