LATEST Piece of Gear in Your Stack - What is it?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks kap, good to hear from you! Interesting thoughts and assessment, I hadn't considered any of that!
Now you've got me thinking about Grundig as a brand, Dad had a Grundig (possibly a receiver I have a vague recollection it may have had a radio in it) in his separates system with a Garrard turntable in the 70s (before they went the B&O "lifestyle" route with a BeoCenter) and their 70s setup sounded nice and warm and rich with really full bass is my recollection. I had a brief play around with this Grundig demodulator last night and was immediately struck by how different it sounds from the JVC, not only has separation seemingly improved but it actually (to my surprise) sounds totally different, there's more low end, more surface noise is apparent on some discs yet gone altogether on others that have it thru the JVC, it's louder in overall output/volume and somehow everything sounds a tad slower (!) maybe that's the extra bass slowing the sound down (?) or could it be its doing extra processing so there is some kind of signal delay or sluggishness!? I dunno, I'm just going by what I heard.. somethings that go sandpaper with the JVC don't go sandpaper with it but I did encounter some splatting on discs in some of the same places and some in different places.. which leads me to want to try a different stylus/cart at some point, I suspect the AT440 is not upto the job of providing the kind of extreme separation I was expecting from CD-4, so i'll experiment with some genuine Shibata things I think and see if that does anything. also, on a bit of a tangent, I got a 2nd copy of Diamonds & Rust CD-4 so I'll see how I get on with that & if it's an improvement on the 1st copy I'll let you know! :)

VERRRRY INTERESTING!!!!
So happy for you!!!
I know you'll report back when you get a stylus...

Hope I can go to London this year and we can meet again!!
Big Hug!!

thanks Fizzy, we shall see how it shapes up in the fulness of tiiiiime! :D

briefly, I'm keeping an eye out for a Technics, Pioneer, Pansonic or Marantz demodulator for sale in the UK/Europe (basically anything that's not a JVC) and this cute little weirdo came up on eBay..
it looked kind of interesting/unusual.. and cheaper than either of the 2 JVCs I picked up last year.. nobody went for it, so when it got relisted I thought its obviously not a hot item but I'll look into it, see if there's anything online about it, for fits and giggles as much as anything.. not a lot's been said about it over the years and most of it (unsurprisingly) has been in German.. but there have been a couple of brief mentions of it in the past at QQ (where else! ;) ) and blow me down but it turns out its supposed to be some kind of a "holy grail" demodulator or something!? :yikes

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?6170-Grundig-CD-4-Demodulator-Service-Manual

Hoping it still works of course, but you should know that back in the 70's (the quad era), any piece of electronic equipment from Germany was highly prized for their reliability and unsurpassed quality control.

:upthumb

Have you added to your A/V system lately? If so, what did you add? Perhaps a vintage Quad piece or a new surround piece, maybe a Tefifone player?!?

Here's Mine:
Zektor HDS 4.1 6 channel analog 4 in, 1 out switcher, with digital coax & optical bought on QQ from Byrdman.
View attachment 6680

May not be top of the line but looking forward to cleaning it up... JVC 4RD-1405

Attachments

• IMG_0760.jpg
    IMG_0760.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 165
Denon DL-110 HOMC Cart
(again I'm hoping for a different sound, something with a bit more low end and less top, for the matrix Quad records.. if I can get it working for CD-4 down the line, all the better :upthumb )

Denon-DL-110-Phono-Cartridge-image.jpg

Stylus force gauge
(not sure how accurate it will be.. it was only a few quid.. but fun to play with for 5 mins and then will probably put in a drawer.. for the batteries to corrode.. and render it even more useless, possibly.. :eek: )

712Z3mQAAsL._SY355_.jpg

Stylus force gauge
(not sure how accurate it will be.. it was only a few quid.. but fun to play with for 5 mins and then will probably put in a drawer.. for the batteries to corrode.. and render it even more useless, possibly.. :eek: )

712Z3mQAAsL._SY355_.jpg

I have that exact device. I couldn't get it to work at all. Then I realized the way the battery is situated makes it lose connection. So, I shoved a piece of tin foil in the department and now it works fine. :)

I have that exact device. I couldn't get it to work at all. Then I realized the way the battery is situated makes it lose connection. So, I shoved a piece of tin foil in the department and now it works fine. :)

ah! now I fancy I do have a roll of tin foil somewhere.. seeing as I don't cook I ought to put it to good use at last! abracadabra! :D thanks for the tip! ;)
(still sounds like - and looks like - a piece of sh!t toy - ah well.. seemed like a good idea at the time :p )

ah! now I fancy I do have a roll of tin foil somewhere.. seeing as I don't cook I ought to put it to good use at last! abracadabra! :D thanks for the tip! ;)
(still sounds like - and looks like - a piece of sh!t toy - ah well.. seemed like a good idea at the time :p )

It is, not very well built at all. Plastic and flimsy.

nah, it's a second hand AVR! I can't afford to throw down the moolah required for a new one at this stage, boxhead's RXV-3081 new acquisition is something to get jealous and drool over, however..! :p

Hope you have better luck with the "new" Yamaha!! ;)

Wonder if the RX-V3081 is equal to the RX-A3060??

Hope you have better luck with the "new" Yamaha!! ;)

Wonder if the RX-V3081 is equal to the RX-A3060??
Yeah, the specs and features are the same. I could have spent an extra $300 for the RX-A and gotten the extra (5th) foot on the chassis!

When my old RX-A3000 died a few weeks ago and it became apparent that it may not be possible to repair it my better half suggested I could have the new receiver for my birthday. Around the same time our main fridge died as well, so I suggested she could have the new fridge for her upcoming birthday. I'm not sure she saw the humour in my suggestion...

Sent from my Elephone_P3000S using Tapatalk

Back