"Layla" Is Also On The List for October 26th

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrindenver

With all the other titles coming out on that day, why not pile on another absolutely must have disc?

This is, right up there with the Beatles, the stuff I have been waiting for in multichannel. I saw the documentary on Tom Dowd, the producer/engineer of this masterpiece last weekend. He was playing with the 24 track masters in the film, so there was no shortage of material for this re-issue.

Clapton and Dwayne Allman at the top of their creative powers fueled by mutual admiration, envy, unrequited love, and the depths of heroin addiction. Don't get no better than this.

This, two by Eric Clapton, and oh, five or six by Elton John mean all my cash and all my free time is gone for this week.

Whoopee!

Last edited:
mrindenver said:
With all the other titles coming out on that day, why not pile on another absolutely must have disc?

This is, right up there with the Beatles, is the stuff I have been waiting for in multichannel. I saw the documentary on Tom Dowd, the producer/engineer of this masterpiece last weekend. He was playing with the 24 track masters in the film, so there was no shortage of material for this re-issue.

Calpton and Dwayne Allman at the top of their creative powers fueled by mutual admiration, envy, unrequited love, and the depths of heroin addiction. Don't get no better than this.

This, two by Eric Clapton, and oh, five or six by Elton John mean all my cash and all my free time is gone for this week.

Whoopee!

Yes, and the new Elton John album Peachtree Road is coming soon in SACD Surround Sound as well. Time to get those credit cards ready!

See the High Fidelity Review story at http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=14874047 for details.

OMG! I will need to get a 3rd mortgage on my house!!!

I better start the paperwork..... :smokin

:banana:

YAY!!!

eelkiller said:
Is it too early to send in for my tax refund?? An expensive day for sure :eek:

Yes, and tomorrow will be expensive for Classical Music fans with the first 4 of the Mercury Living Presence SACDs arriving in the U.S. market

mrindenver said:

This is, right up there with the Beatles, the stuff I have been waiting for in multichannel. I saw the documentary on Tom Dowd, the producer/engineer of this masterpiece last weekend. He was playing with the 24 track masters in the film, so there was no shortage of material for this re-issue.

Clapton and Dwayne Allman at the top of their creative powers fueled by mutual admiration, envy, unrequited love, and the depths of heroin addiction. Don't get no better than this.

Whoopee!

Yes, Layla is right up there with the Beatles, or was, until dear Layla (Pattie Boyd) and George Harrison divorced and Clapton married her after she was through with her affair with Ron Wood of the Stones along the way. (so Mr Slowhand's "unrequited" love was answered, for a few years anyway) I was reminded of this last week while I was watching the music video 'Something' from Abbey Road on the 5.1 Beatles Anthology in which "Layla" is featured prominently along with the other Beatles' wives. Who was Allman's "unrequited" love? Hope it wasn't just Cher! :eek:

dauQula said:
Who was Allman's "unrequited" love? Hope it wasn't just Cher! :eek:

Actually it was Duane, not Gregg, that fueled Clapton's best effort, IMO. Each pushed the other musically on these tracks. According to many accounts, the fuel was heroin, and they were both "in love" with it during these sessions. Have you seen the Tom Dowd documentary? Well worth a rent, especially if you like the Beatles Anthology.

daved64 said:
You got your Allman Bros confused. That was Greg.

Was Greg what married Cher; it's Duane's slide guitar on Derek and the Dominos. Greg was around for some of the jams, but Duane was on the record.

mrindenver said:
Was Greg what married Cher; it's Duane's slide guitar on Derek and the Dominos. Greg was around for some of the jams, but Duane was on the record.
That's what I said! Greg was married to Cher!
If I don't know that Duane played the slide on that album, I shouldn't be allowed to live! :mad:@:

daved64 said:
That's what I said! Greg was married to Cher!
If I don't know that Duane played the slide on that album, I shouldn't be allowed to live! :mad:@:

Our posts crossed; we both had it right. It was dauQula that put Greg in the mix.

In any case I am really looking forward to this release. It is the Grail, IMO.

mrindenver said:
Our posts crossed; we both had it right. It was dauQula that put Greg in the mix.

In any case I am really looking forward to this release. It is the Grail, IMO.
Whew! :D

BTW....do we have any confirmation that Elliott Scheiner did the mix? I know he gave up on the project because of certain concessions (ie. they wanted him to "protool it")

mrindenver said:
Actually it was Duane, not Gregg, that fueled Clapton's best effort, IMO. Each pushed the other musically on these tracks. According to many accounts, the fuel was heroin, and they were both "in love" with it during these sessions. Have you seen the Tom Dowd documentary? Well worth a rent, especially if you like the Beatles Anthology.

Ooops.. well, maybe Duane had a secret crush on Cher and that's why the marriage only lasted 24 hrs! Maybe I should be a stringer for Hollywood Insider... Anyway no, I haven't seen the Tom Dowd doc., I'll look for it and check it out. Can't believe Ringo is 64 already..and still drummin' :banana:

dauQula said:
Ooops.. well, maybe Duane had a secret crush on Cher and that's why the marriage only lasted 24 hrs! Maybe I should be a stringer for Hollywood Insider... Anyway no, I haven't seen the Tom Dowd doc., I'll look for it and check it out.

Actually, I am sure that Duane did not live to see the Cher wedding ... Although he might have partied with Sonny a few times in those days.

Can't believe Ringo is 64 already..and still drummin' :banana:

Hell, I am not 50 yet and my knees are killing me.

Cheers, Mike.

daved64 said:
Whew! :D

BTW....do we have any confirmation that Elliott Scheiner did the mix? I know he gave up on the project because of certain concessions (ie. they wanted him to "protool it")

The word is that Elliot Scheiner mixed the whole album to his standards, and after he refused to fix certain things to make it sound more "modern", the label had someone else remix it. :mad:@:

I looks like this one has been moved to 11/2 as well as a few others.

JonUrban said:
I looks like this one has been moved to 11/2 as well as a few others.

Ugh!! :eek: That's not funny!! Where did you see that? I hope that "Slowhand" isn't one of the few others. I'm dying to hear that most excellent album.

I checked Universal's site and no mention of the releases being moved yet, but I wouldn't be surprised. I'm getting sick of this S&*T!! :mad:

ICK

Ick said:
Ugh!! :eek: That's not funny!! Where did you see that? I hope that "Slowhand" isn't one of the few others. I'm dying to hear that most excellent album.

I checked Universal's site and no mention of the releases being moved yet, but I wouldn't be surprised. I'm getting sick of this S&*T!! :mad:

ICK
Yeah, it's been close to a year now that I've taken up the mantra..."I'll believe it when I see it" when it comes to release announcements....it REALLY has cut down on the stress. I am a much calmer, happier person now. :sun

Give it a try....."I'll believe it when I see it...I'll believe it when I see it....I'll believe it when I see it." See? Don't you feel just a little bit better? :)

zabble said:
The word is that Elliot Scheiner mixed the whole album to his standards, and after he refused to fix certain things to make it sound more "modern", the label had someone else remix it. :mad:@:

Well, I've heard a somewhat different story about the albums and how it was decided who would remix them to 5.1 Surround.

The bottom line is that the artist and the label have the final say in who does the 5.1 mixes and what the final mix has and doesn't have in it.

So it's not surprising that the Clapton albums were mixed by his current producer and engineer on 2 of the albums and by the album's producer on the third disc.

GaryW said:
Yeah, it's been close to a year now that I've taken up the mantra..."I'll believe it when I see it" when it comes to release announcements....it REALLY has cut down on the stress. I am a much calmer, happier person now. :sun

Give it a try....."I'll believe it when I see it...I'll believe it when I see it....I'll believe it when I see it." See? Don't you feel just a little bit better? :)

Well, if I thought that I wouldn't believe my toes exist because my belly keeps me from seeing them!! :D

Has anyone else heard about postponement of some of the Universal releases? (No offense, Jon. I just want to go to bed happy and without worry!)

ICK

Back