Lennon and Beatles quad info

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I was listening to the latest podcast episode of "Things We Said Today" in which John Lennon researcher/author Chip Madinger discusses the album "Imagine." It's well known among our group that the quad mix of "Imagine" is not very good. Chip explained why. The main tracks for “Imagine” were mixed in stereo and then transferred to a another multitrack tape. Then the strings and sax solos were overdubbed onto this tape. This is why the quad mix sounds like it does, as everything except the strings and sax solos were locked in stereo. He also said that three sax solos were recorded for “I Don’t Want To Be A Soldier” and that the solo on both the stereo and quad mix is a composite of the three, which is why the solos differ.

Lastly, he said that a quad mix was prepared for the 1965 Beatles Hollywood Bowl show the day after "Imagine" was mixed for quad. Here's a blog post about this - http://wogew.blogspot.com/2016/07/hollywood-bowl-mixed-for-quad.html .

I remember the word about the Hollywood Bowl quad release, somewhere in the back of my mind, but even if it was to come out, I don't think anyone ever expected much from it. If you bought the latest CD release of that concert (or compilation), it's pretty much mono. I mean, if they put the screams in the rear channels, the only quad benefit would be that you could shut off the rears and actually listen to the concert! :)

As a person with an affliction (QUADRAPHILLIA-Chronic), I find this news fascinating. :)

So thanks for that. But I would have to agree with Jon on the 4 channels of screaming. Afterall they did quit touring because they themselves couldn't hear each other play on stage.:rolleyes:

Sorry for being pessimistic.

I can't help but wonder if they merely *attempted* a quad mix of Hollywood Bowl, and quickly realized it was a waste of time. There's only three tracks to work with, and the screams are on all three mixed with the instruments and voices.

Most of the concerts I have in 5.1 has nothing but audience in the rear channels. The screams in the fronts can be reduced. But the problem would be the terrible performance they put on. They could not hear themselves and were not exactly in sync.

I was listening to the latest podcast episode of "Things We Said Today" in which John Lennon researcher/author Chip Madinger discusses the album "Imagine." It's well known among our group that the quad mix of "Imagine" is not very good. Chip explained why. The main tracks for “Imagine” were mixed in stereo and then transferred to a another multitrack tape. Then the strings and sax solos were overdubbed onto this tape. This is why the quad mix sounds like it does, as everything except the strings and sax solos were locked in stereo. He also said that three sax solos were recorded for “I Don’t Want To Be A Soldier” and that the solo on both the stereo and quad mix is a composite of the three, which is why the solos differ.

Lastly, he said that a quad mix was prepared for the 1965 Beatles Hollywood Bowl show the day after "Imagine" was mixed for quad. Here's a blog post about this - http://wogew.blogspot.com/2016/07/hollywood-bowl-mixed-for-quad.html .

If what he says is true, and they of course could not sync-up the work tracks with the final overdubs, then that completely explains why it was such a terrible mess.

Those in-the-know must've gone back recently and synched up the work tracks with the basic tracks as I have copies of the multitracks and everything is there and quite discrete. I made my own Quad mix and even though some songs feature sparse instrumentation, I still managed to create a much more immersive mix than the classic '70s mix.

Those in-the-know must've gone back recently and synched up the work tracks with the basic tracks as I have copies of the multitracks and everything is there and quite discrete. I made my own Quad mix and even though some songs feature sparse instrumentation, I still managed to create a much more immersive mix than the classic '70s mix.

Based on what we know about the soon-to-be-released 5.1 mix of "Imagine," I hope you are right. But why they are bothering to include the original quad mix on the blu-ray is puzzling.

Based on what we know about the soon-to-be-released 5.1 mix of "Imagine," I hope you are right. But why they are bothering to include the original quad mix on the blu-ray is puzzling.

Why not? It's not as bad as people say, but it is quite dull. People can compare to the modern one if they like. At least we're getting it!

I don't see the downside of adding it for us.....many haven't heard it and would like to judge for themselves on the quality and make their own comparisons

That does explain a few things. Starting with a Phil Spector stereo mix... I never heard that story before.

As for including original mixes...
Often these releases are the first time the original mix is finally reissued as a flat transfer in HD which can be just as valuable if not more than the new mix to some. That the original quad mix of this one is more an aside is unique to this album. I even like seeing stuff like the "needle drop" tracks or those crude radio single edits from the '70s (the ones with edits that are often really off beat). Saves you from the experience of paying $$$$ on Ebay for a collectors item only to hear something you find you absolutely don't care about! And fills in the blanks for those that remember it and maybe have a soft spot for the thing.

In addition to the Blu-Ray of 'Imagine' that just came out, there is an accompanying coffee table book with details about John's house where they built in a studio ('Ascot Sound') and recorded the album. On page 105, there's a quote from John: "There are ten tracks on it. I had more, but Phil [Spector] suddenly said that I had no more room, so we stopped. We recorded some in Quad too, it's fantastic. I did the Quad in New York, it's beautiful. Quad Music!! Compared to the last one it's less introspective, in a way, and it's a big light; there's some heavy stuff, but I call it commercial with no compromise." There's a lot of detail about the design and equipment of the studio, with interviews with the designer and engineers. I found it at the local library - give yours a try.

Back