Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep coming back to this one...I think it's the streaming release of the year...so far.
Ooh to have a physical version 👍
Jacob was on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert last night, playing "Cinnamon Crush":

I was gonna wade into the "too much, I can't take it" debate, but I think (after allowing for the annoying tics of YouTubers, who I wish would all get off my lawn!) that this guy actually addresses that aspect of the Jacob backlash pretty well:

Me, I think the "too much"-ness of Collier is one of the things that's great about him. That said: there are also plenty of things I don't like about Vol. 4--all of Collier's solo albums, TBH--starting with the frequent banality of his lyrics. But I still think the Djesse cycle is a fascinating exercise in excess.

Last edited:
Jacob was on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert last night, playing "Cinnamon Crush":

I was gonna wade into the "too much, I can't take it" debate, but I think (after allowing for the annoying tics of YouTubers, who I wish would all get off my lawn!) that this guy actually addresses that aspect of the Jacob backlash pretty well:

Me, I think the "too much"-ness of Collier is one of the things that's great about him. That said: there are also plenty of things I don't like about Vol. 4--all of Collier's solo albums, TBH--starting with the frequent banality of his lyrics. But I still think the Djesse cycle is a fascinating exercise in excess.

Cheers for this. This young man has me in full admiration for his honesty, his technical ability and his willingness to push musical boundaries. I hope he absorbs the positive criticisms and goes on to produce even greater tunes.

Dua Lipa released her new album Radical Optimism today. Kevin Parker aka Tampe Impala also joins the team. No credits for immersive mixer on Tidal.

https://tidal.com/album/360200604?u
Nearly finished listening through.

This is a very consistently good album with a great flow of tracks and some really enhancing ceiling effects. On first listen I am super happy.

Sia: Reasonable Woman

A spectacular album and amazing usage of a surround sound canvas:

If you listen to one track only today it has to be this one…

Mr Wilson I love you buddy but someone is eyeing off your regal title.

The song ‘I forgive you’ is a vocal standout.

Kept thinking if my former self 10 years ago heard this album in this format that my mind would truly be blown. How truly spoilt we are.

Sia: Reasonable Woman

A spectacular album and amazing usage of a surround sound canvas:

If you listen to one track only today it has to be this one…

Mr Wilson I love you buddy but someone is eyeing off your regal title.

The song ‘I forgive you’ is a vocal standout.

Kept thinking if my former self 10 years ago heard this album in this format that my mind would truly be blown. How truly spoilt we are.
Thanks, Woody! Sia is great. What a voice! Nice collection of collabs here. Looking forward to listen more to this. Here's the Tidal link:
https://tidal.com/album/360515476?u

David Emery did most of the atmos mixes including 'Incredible'. John Hanes did track 3, 6, 12, 14 and 15. Eli Heisler and Rob Kinelski track 9.

Thanks, Woody! Sia is great. What a voice! Nice collection of collabs here. Looking forward to listen more to this. Here's the Tidal link:
https://tidal.com/album/360515476?u

David Emery did most of the atmos mixes including 'Incredible'. John Hanes did track 3, 6, 12, 14 and 15. Eli Heisler and Rob Kinelski track 9.
Anyone that can collaborate with and make Paris Hilton sound ok must have some talent.

Rainbow Kitten Surprise "Superstar"
I love this song! Especially fun for me because I happened to find it in the way I would've in high school 30 years ago.
I heard it on the radio (indie 102.3 in Denver) and I loved that it had hook after hook and unique changes throughout. I told my girlfriend about it and she had heard it and liked it too. Next we started listening to it cooking breakfast and around the house and getting to know it better. I went on a walk with it with headphones in stereo and binaural, then the modern part - I listened to it in 7.1.4 atmos. Fantastic. Sort of reminds me of stuff from the '90s like Self, Weezer, and Andrew WK, mixed with more modern pop.
Lots of deep and fuzzy synth bass, with plenty of action in the sides, rear, and top.
Thanks for the tip, Popshop! I liked this one too and the other songs being available as prelistens. Since Kacey Musgraves sings on one of the tracks I checked who produced and Kacey Musgraves house producer Daniel Tashian is credited both as one of the producers and writers. Cool he is able to make quality releases with so different artists. Also having his great collaborations with Burt Bacharach in mind. I look forward to the rest of this album!

Wow! I just compared the Apple Atmos version Scenes from an Italian Restaurant by Billy Joel to my 5.1 SACD version and it just proves how far behind Apple Atmos music is in. Not only in fidelity but the overall surround mix, just a couple seconds in there’s a strum of an acoustic guitar slow strum in the right rear channel on the SACD version that just simply not there on the Atmos, there is no reason why it couldn’t be.

Wow! I just compared the Apple Atmos version Scenes from an Italian Restaurant by Billy Joel to my 5.1 SACD version and it just proves how far behind Apple Atmos music is in. Not only in fidelity but the overall surround mix, just a couple seconds in there’s a strum of an acoustic guitar slow strum in the right rear channel on the SACD version that just simply not there on the Atmos, there is no reason why it couldn’t be.

It's a botched mix, that guitar is not the only thing that's missing and some of it is a different vocal take (in the middle section) and there are different instrumental parts to the official version too.

It's definitely a mistake. Has nothing to do with Apple or streaming in Atmos. Not sure how something like this can even happen, but I'm sure they'll fix it because it's all wrong.

Apple 4K
I see The Beatles popped up in the Browse Spatial Audio section again.
Decided to listen to Revolver in Atmos that I didn't get in my box set- (n)

Maybe next I'll listen to Sgt Pepper, not sure I ever listened to the streaming Atmos version, wasn't in my library.

Back