Living Stereo

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kal Rubinson said:
The only reason that some of the 2track programs appear on a MCH track is that there are MCH programs on the disk and the full musical content is on each track. That said, show me one with a MCH track that has nothing but 2channel content, please.

Kal
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6
and other i mentioned above...

I have 3 of them, and the 'multichannel" is front left, front right and center channel. There is nothing in the rears.

ferret-e said:
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6
and other i mentioned above...

As I said, my copy of the 'other' does not have a MCH track. Neither does the Tchaikovsky 6. Both have CD layers and stereo SACD track, only.

Kal

daved64 said:
I have 3 of them, and the 'multichannel" is front left, front right and center channel. There is nothing in the rears.

OF COURSE! That's how they were recorded.

Kal

Kal Rubinson said:
OF COURSE! That's how they were recorded.

Kal
Right....I'm not saying it's wrong...I'm just verifying the fact that that's what the MC represents. What I have heard so far sounds incredible for recordings that old.

Well my copy of Ravel Daphnis et Chloe lists a surround layer but my player tells me MC even for stereo only discs, so I belive there is no surround layer even though it is listed. I'm finding these 3 channel disc have more separation than other 5.1 classical discs.

I use a Sony XA777ES to check these things. It has front-panel buttons to select between CD/SACD and between Stereo/MCH. If I select MCH after selecting SACD, it tells me "2-channel only" and plays the SACD track.

Kal

My old Sony did that but my pioneer elite doesn't. My Sony also had song title display which I liked very much.

Forgive me, but I'm not quite sure what all the confusion is about. The details about the recording process (and subsquent transfer to SACD) are all rather elloquently spelled out in the liner notes to each disc. And each disc indicates rather clearly on the back whether it's a 2- or 3-channel release (or some of each, in some cases).

dprokopy said:
Forgive me, but I'm not quite sure what all the confusion is about. The details about the recording process (and subsquent transfer to SACD) are all rather elloquently spelled out in the liner notes to each disc. And each disc indicates rather clearly on the back whether it's a 2- or 3-channel release (or some of each, in some cases).

Of course but some seem to dispute that or, perhaps, there might be errors. I was simply responding to those propositions with my observations.

Kal

Yea some 2 channel discs claim to have a surround layer such as Ravel Daphnis et Chloe. It has no 3 channel content at all.

Back