Billy Joel - Piano Man 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition (Mch SACD of Quad mix from Sony Japan)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has "Piano Man" really gone OOP on 7" SACD?

When you think about it, in terms of QUAD collectors and the desirability of titles, the 'Piano Man' quad SACD would have to be the most desirable of all of the Sony 7" quad releases, followed closely by the first Santana, Abraxas, and the third Santana, not necessarily in the order

Many of these titles had seen release in 5.1 or modified quad prior to this series, and if you look at Q8 pricing over the past 25 years on eBay, I do not believe any of these titles sold for more than the Billy Joel Piano Man Q8's that I've seen on eBay go for well over $100, sometimes twice that.

If I had to predict which of these 20+ titles would sell out, it would be Piano Man

When you think about it, in terms of QUAD collectors and the desirability of titles, the 'Piano Man' quad SACD would have to be the most desirable of all of the Sony 7" quad releases, followed closely by the first Santana, Abraxas, and the third Santana, not necessarily in the order

Many of these titles had seen release in 5.1 or modified quad prior to this series, and if you look at Q8 pricing over the past 25 years on eBay, I do not believe any of these titles sold for more than the Billy Joel Piano Man Q8's that I've seen on eBay go for well over $100, sometimes twice that.

If I had to predict which of these 20+ titles would sell out, it would be Piano Man
They are desirable on a few levels, but I didn't know about Piano Man Q8 causing sticker shock heart attacks. But for me what makes the Sony Columbia / Epic stuff so desirable is the lack of QR releases on all of the titles. With RCA and WEA at least we got those reels.

And I was not that thrilled (at first) with Piano Man for 60+ balloons, but then I read the reviews, and now I figure that I must not be left out here.

I listened to this album last night in stereo, and found the title track wonderful of curse. And "Captain Jack" is a stunner. But in between the earlier track and the last one there quite a bit of stylistic variation that did not knock me out so far as the songs. I'm going to hold out on this one until a sale or maybe used copy appears. I sense Billy is trying out a lot of things and has not quite yet completely hit his stride on this album.

Yeah, I'll hold out a bit on this one. Lots of the new things to listen to.

Back