Carlos Santana & John McLaughlin's Love Devotion Surrender on Quad SACD from Sony Japan Sept. 27, 2023

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like many of yours my copy came a day early via DHL so had a chance to play it through. Overall sound is great, my rear speakers have mostly ambience, however on some of the songs various instrumentation (I.e., congas, percussion, and organ) are really evident. Will have to play next on a system that has speakers of similar size. Very glad to finally have this disc in quad!!!

P.S. love the poster that comes with it!

Attachments

• IMG_6062.jpeg
    IMG_6062.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mine showed up just now, DHL. This is an album that I don't think I ever listened to - ever. I had the Q8 and SQ but never played either one, they were more just a collectible check box on my Columbia check list

Love Devotion.jpg

Mine showed up just now, DHL. This is an album that I don't think I ever listened to - ever. I had the Q8 and SQ but never played either one, they were more just a collectible check box on my Columbia check list

View attachment 96700
I got mine today too with Supersession.I know this album from the first week of the release in 1973.

View attachment 96700
So, that obviously begs the question: do you plan to listen to it now? 🤔

View attachment 96700
I used to listen to this a ton when I was in high school, have not listened in many years now. I do plan to order it, but only when Welcome is ready to ship. I fully expect Welcome to me announced next month.

Chris

Quite honestly, I was ill prepared for the sheer IMMENSITY of this album. Having heard it over a period of years on MoFi's Stereo SACD and even vinyl back in the 70's, Sony Japan has pulled out ALL stops with this 2023 QUAD remaster. And Sony's premier QUAD remix engineers, Al Lawrence and Larry Keyes have both performed sonic miracles: Tremendous bass, astounding presence and not a hint of background hiss!

Track 2, Naima, which is a gorgeous guitar interchange between Santana and McLaughlin is likewise noteworthy in its you are there presence....a sound so big as to touch all your senses.

The opening track A LOVE SUPREME will test your speakers to the max.....there should be a warning like on the older TELARC surround SACDs which had those alarming bombastic sound effects ....... be fully prepared when you insert the disc into your player.

LOVE DEVOTION SURRENDER employs four drummers: Billy Cobham, Don Elias, Jan Hammer and Michael Shrieve and Keyes places them in the rear channels on several tracks.

And who knew guitarist John McLaughlin also plays Piano as evidenced on the final track MEDITATION!

IMO, this is truly one of my very favorite Sony Japan remasters. The packaging is not as elaborate as previous 7" reissues but what is contained on this disc is absolutely aurally mesmerizing.

A well deserved 10!
I didn't knew Jan Hammer was a drummer too?;)

Last edited:

View attachment 96700
I'm very surprised that you never played the SQ LP or the Q8! This is Santana after all! While it wouldn't have been my top choice, and if not for Quad I likely would have passed it by. I found my SQ copy in the cut-out bin years ago and it's great!

My copy should be here by Friday, I had to pay FedEx import fees.

Last edited:
My 2 discs from CDJapan also showed up today. Man, they are fast, and seem to always deliver promptly...title after title.
I received my two (2) pre-ordered titles yesterday (9/26) as well from CDJapan via DHL and continue to be amazed on how quickly this merchant seems to deliver their products to international customers (I'm in the greater Sacramento area in CA). Top marks all around...Cheers and many thanks CDJapan!

Received mine today with Super Sessions.

Another corker of a surround release.

And it's only 50 years old!! I wish :D

These are my two first purchases from CDJapan. Previous buys have been via Amazon JP. CDJapan will be the go to outlet for future releases, as they are just great to deal with.

Last edited:
Here's one from the MTV days you might not have seen -

oh and got my Santana & John M. SACD yesterday!

Neal played this on tour with Journey during the Frontiers tour. Always loved this song and was cool to hear it live.

And then another song from that album, Self Defense (which featured the guys from Journey) got covered on Journey’s album Generations which was a nice call-back to an album I’m not sure many people knew about. (Or the first one they did.)

As for this new quad, this is the first time I’ve had a delay by DHL. Usually it’s here within two days, but it looks like we’ll move into a third day. Seems to be stuck in the DHL center about 90 minutes away from me. So close, yet so far.

EDIT: After posting this, I got my DHL notification that it’s out for delivery. WooHoo!

Last edited:
Back