HiRez Poll Santana, Carlos & John McLaughlin - LOVE DEVOTION SURRENDER [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of LOVE DEVOTION SURRENDER

• 8:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7:

• 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

sjcorne

Staff member
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2023 reissue of the 1973 album Love Devotion Surrender by Carlos Santana and John McLaughlin.
The new SACD from Sony Japan contains the 1970s Quadraphonic mix, remastered and re-released for the first time in over 50 years!
The original SQ-encoded LP (CQ 32034) credits Larry Keyes as Quadraphonic remix engineer.

91142-1693406719513.png

Pre-release thread for all shipping/ordering queries and non-poll related posts:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...quad-sacd-from-sony-japan-sept-27-2023.34782/

Quite honestly, I was ill prepared for the sheer IMMENSITY of this album. Having heard it over a period of years on MoFi's Stereo SACD and even vinyl back in the 70's, Sony Japan has pulled out ALL stops with this 2023 QUAD remaster. And Sony's premier QUAD remix engineers, Al Lawrence and Larry Keyes have both performed sonic miracles: Tremendous bass, astounding presence and not a hint of background hiss!

Track 2, Naima, which is a gorgeous guitar interchange between Santana and McLaughlin is likewise noteworthy in its you are there presence....a sound so big as to touch all your senses.

The opening track A LOVE SUPREME will test your speakers to the max.....there should be a warning like on the older TELARC surround SACDs which had those alarming bombastic sound effects ....... be fully prepared when you insert the disc into your player.

LOVE DEVOTION SURRENDER employs four drummers: Billy Cobham, Don Elias, Jan Hammer and Michael Shrieve and Keyes places them in the rear channels on several tracks.

And who knew guitarist John McLaughlin also plays Piano as evidenced on the final track MEDITATION!

IMO, this is truly one of my very favorite Sony Japan remasters. The packaging is not as elaborate as previous 7" reissues but what is contained on this disc is absolutely aurally mesmerizing.

A well deserved 10!

I completely agree with the previous comments. The disc came today, and I eagerly awaited a chance to listen to it. I was NOT disappointed. Gorgeous separation and use of the surround channels. Powerful music that beats any previous version I've heard. Fantastic disc!

I received it on Friday and listened to it today. I'v long owned the SQ LP, finding it in the cut-out bin at the local Woolworth's in the late seventies. Always one of my favourite Santana albums and I don't mean to downplay John McLaughlin's contribution. The sound quality and mix are both excellent. I have to vote a ten!

Wow... 10.

Another album I was familiar with, but never heard. (That should probably be my sig as it covers a lot of albums I’m buying these days.)

Lots of fiery playing that is so enjoyable in quad.

Keep ‘em comin’ Sony Japan.

Yeah, it is a 10. All of these 50th anniversary Santana quad discs have hit the spot, really. None of them are sub par in any way. In terms of the music, I think John overplays a bit on some of these tracks, and the opening two Coltrane numbers, fine as they are, don't match up to the originals, but there's still a majesty to the music which is impressive.

Back