Bloomfield/Kooper/Stills - Super Session is the next Sony Japan 7" quad SACD (Sept. 13, 2023)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is absolutely superb! The mix is very much four cornered, often with the bass and drums in the rear corners. Often with guitar one corner upfront and keyboard in the other. But by no means the same in every track.

The sound is gorgeous. Never a dull moment. This one really is a 10 for me.

This is absolutely superb! The mix is very much four cornered, often with the bass and drums in the rear corners. Often with guitar one corner upfront and keyboard in the other. But by no means the same in every track.

The sound is gorgeous. Never a dull moment. This one really is a 10 for me.
Is this like the Eli and the Thirteenth Confession mix, where there's no bleed between one side of the mix to another?

Is this like the Eli and the Thirteenth Confession mix, where there's no bleed between one side of the mix to another?
Yes, it was intentionally mixed that way in order to maximize the quad effect out of those early SQ matrix decoders.

If the “four-corner” soundstage isn’t your preference, you’d best seek out the 2015 SACD with Al Kooper’s 5.1 remix.

So how you guys got your copys so fast? Today is the release day... Or was it shipped a week earlier?

I'm excited to hear how the quad master of this one sounds, hopefully it won't be as harsh as last year's Caravanserai SACD. I thought all these Sony Japan discs sounded great until that one, not sure what happened (different mastering engineer?).

The quad mix is quite different than Kooper's 5.1 remix in that it maintains all the hard-pans from the original stereo version - Bloomfield's guitar is off to one side on the first two songs, whereas it was centered in the 5.1 mix. Drums & bass are frequently placed in the rear speakers, sometimes each pushed off to opposite corners.

The experimental 'four-corner' approach is kinda fun for the instrumental jam tunes - you really feel like you're in the studio surrounded by the band - whereas some of the other tracks, like "Season Of The Witch", work much better in the 5.1 remix for me (Kooper placed the drums & bass upfront and guitar in the rear, while the quad has the drums & bass panning back-and-forth between the rears).
Thanks for this review. I, too, have the AF 5.1. mastered by Ludwig with a good mix by Kooper. Sounds like I'll stick with it too. If only the price were cheaper...

For those of you who don't have any iteration of this album; don't pass it up! Such a rockin' batch of tunes with a great mix. One of the better surround releases-period!

I’m not sure. I just push the buttons and guys show up with packages. I used DHL again for this order with cdjapan, so far they’ve been really good for me.

I’m always thrilled by how well CDJapan and DHL work together. They shipped mine from Japan on Monday and DHL has it on their delivery truck for today.

Received mine, forgot I had the AF version. Waiting to here how it compares before opening.

I’m always thrilled by how well CDJapan and DHL work together. They shipped mine from Japan on Monday and DHL has it on their delivery truck for today.
I’m happy with the speed of delivery etc, but for some reason in Canada I get dinged an extra $20 for import charges and processing fees. Ordering from the US, the UK or Europe seems to be fine, but for some reason the orders from Japan get hit with the extra fees. Ugh.

I’m happy with the speed of delivery etc, but for some reason in Canada I get dinged an extra $20 for import charges and processing fees. Ordering from the US, the UK or Europe seems to be fine, but for some reason the orders from Japan get hit with the extra fees. Ugh.
Same here.That's why I've ordered Super Session and Love Devotion in one box to save on this silly extra charge from DHL.

... for some reason in Canada I get dinged an extra $20 for import charges and processing fees...
Well, that sucks. I ordered this title plus the Love Devotion Surrender release in one package via DHL because Japan Post still won't ship to Canada. Plus, that combined package will arrive before I do, and my lady will have to pay - and the only issue with that is I'd rather keep my orders out of sight ... if you know what I mean 😜

Well, that sucks. I ordered this title plus the Love Devotion Surrender release in one package via DHL because Japan Post still won't ship to Canada. Plus, that combined package will arrive before I do, and my lady will have to pay - and the only issue with that is I'd rather keep my orders out of sight ... if you know what I mean 😜
The paying part is pretty easy. I got emails and texts, first asking me to waive the signing for it part, and then asking to pre-pay the import charge. When they delivered it, they just left it at the door. So, your lady can just bring it in without having to pay…if that’s any consolation.

Same here.That's why I've ordered Super Session and Love Devotion in one box to save on this silly extra charge from DHL.
Yeah, I would have done that, but I had already finalized the Super Session order and it wouldn’t let me add the Love Devotion, so I’ve got another charge to look forward to! 🙄 Who knew they’d announce another one so fast!!

Yeah, I would have done that, but I had already finalized the Super Session order and it wouldn’t let me add the Love Devotion, so I’ve got another charge to look forward to! 🙄 Who knew they’d announce another one so fast!!
I caught that just in time and was able to add Love Devotion Surrender to my existing order, the only drawback being I now have to wait until the end of the month for the whole package to ship.

Yes, it was intentionally mixed that way in order to maximize the quad effect out of those early SQ matrix decoders.

If the “four-corner” soundstage isn’t your preference, you’d best seek out the 2015 SACD with Al Kooper’s 5.1 remix.
I wonder if this is a case for actually putting my sitting space in the middle of my 4 speakers? I sit actually in the two thirds spot, 2/3 behind my front and 1/3 in front of my rear. Sometimes with the 4.0 Quads I sit on floor in middle.

Mine showed up tonight, so I had to introduce it to its little brother right here:

SS2.jpg

Back