Bloomfield/Kooper/Stills - Super Session is the next Sony Japan 7" quad SACD (Sept. 13, 2023)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Showed up on CDJapan recently, I'm sure it'll show up elsewhere.

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SICP-10144
"Japanese original reissue of "Super Session" from Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper, Stephen Stills. To commemorate the 55th anniversary of the release of "Super Session," Quadraphonic (4-channel mix), which first appeared in 1972, has been revived for the first time in the world as an SA-CD multi-hybrid disc after 51 years. The multi-channel SA-CD layer is the latest remastered version using DSD mastering in Japan of the high-resolution files dropped from the original master tapes of the Quadraphonic LP, and the CD layer also uses the SA-CD stereo high-resolution master. Features 7-inch cardboard sleeve packaging, faithfully replicating its Japanese Quadraphonic LP design. 2023 remastering."

This will be the first digital release of the quad mix, as the 2014 AF SACD used Al Kooper's 5.1 remix.

1691731792961.png

1691731804208.png

Santana's Welcome was released at the end of November 1973, so hopefully we'll see that one later this year (along with Santana & McLaughlin's Love Devotion Surrender?) if Sony Japan stick to their 50th anniversary timetable like they have with the previous ones.

I’ve been checking CDJapan almost daily for a Santana announcement so in some ways this is a disappointment. However it’s good to see signs of life and I’m sure we will see more releases this fall. I don’t have any previous releases of this but will definitely buy it as soon as there’s another disc to send it with.

I am also hoping for Mahavishnu Orchestra’s Between Nothingness and Eternity this year.

I'd complain about this being a re-incarnation of an old AF title instead of something new; but after watching Mike's interview with Paul of SDE, I can understand that a company often has to release whatever they can get their hands on.
fwiw the AF SACD has a latter-day 5.1 Surround mix done by Kooper himself, whereas this Sony Japan SACD features the original vintage 4.0 Quad done by CBS' head honcho's back in the 70's 🥳

Oh, so then this IS indeed a new digital release. Thanks for the clarification.
anytiiiime!! 🤗😋

edit: it should have great mastering after all and we know the presentation will be top notch.

tbh i was at first underwhelmed when Dave posted but now i'm looking forward to another tasty 7-inch package from the land of the rising Yen 🤑🍆💦🤤📀

Was hoping for another Santana but I'll add this to the order.
We did get the quad mix as an SQ encoded Japanese CD before.
That disc turned out to be stereo, not SQ encoded despite what the OBI said.

I didn't like the AF 5.1 release, it lacked the "punch" of the Quad and stereo versions. This disc will be welcome as it's one of my favourites. Hopefully we'll get more Santana next time!

Last edited:
I didn't like the AF 5.1 release, it lacked the "punch" of the Quad and stereo versions. This disc will be welcome as it's one of my favourites.
Oh, so now you and @fredblue are driving me from the position of "Why do I need this? to, " I absolutely have to have this one!" Bloody influencers!!!!! :ROFLMAO:

Sept 13 as release date means there's plenty of time for a few more Santana and/or McLaughlin titles this year. ;-) I would also expect Herbie Hancock's Thrust at some point, although I am perfectly fine with the AF release for that one.

I didn't like the AF 5.1 release, it lacked the "punch" of the Quad and stereo versions. This disc will be welcome as it's one of my favourites. Hopefully we'll get more Santana next time!
Funny, I consider it as one of my punchiest SACDs together with Al Kooper's 5.1 of the B S & T's debute album.

Thanks. I ordered this one. Gotta keep the set complete, ya know?

Actually, I do have the earlier Japan release of the SQ encoded CD, and I thought I remembered that it decoded quite well. I honestly don't think I ever went back to it after my initial test using the Lucanu SQ script in AA, but I'll have to look that one up. If it really wasn't SQ encoded, it sure fooled me

EDIT - I just checked the old thread. It seems I used a script, not the SM. Also, Neil Wilkes used a script and he said it decoded great, so I am tending to conclude that the disc is actually SQ encoded. Neil is a very trust worthy soul, as you all know.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...raphonic-mini-lp-replica-cd-sony-japan.12853/

Thanks. I ordered this one. Gotta keep the set complete, ya know?

Actually, I do have the earlier Japan release of the SQ encoded CD, and I thought I remembered that it decoded quite well. I honestly don't think I ever went back to it after my initial test using the Lucanu SQ script in AA, but I'll have to look that one up. If it really wasn't SQ encoded, it sure fooled me

EDIT - I just checked the old thread. It seems I used a script, not the SM. Also, Neil Wilkes used a script and he said it decoded great, so I am tending to conclude that the disc is actually SQ encoded. Neil is a very trust worthy soul, as you all know.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...raphonic-mini-lp-replica-cd-sony-japan.12853/
The copy that I have is definitely not quad. I have my vinyl rip that decodes perfectly via the Composer, the CD is quite different. Decoded it produces only a phasy rear output, no real L to R separation. I'm certain that it is the plain stereo version. Even the label reproduces the stereo LP label. The same thing happened with Chase "Pure Music", the CD is stereo! As I recall both CD's are brickwalled as well. :(

I really wanted them to be the real thing!

The copy that I have is definitely not quad. I have my vinyl rip that decodes perfectly via the Composer, the CD is quite different. Decoded it produces only a phasy rear output, no real L to R separation. I'm certain that it is the plain stereo version. Even the label reproduces the stereo LP label. The same thing happened with Chase "Pure Music", the CD is stereo! As I recall both CD's are brickwalled as well. :(

I really wanted them to be the real thing!

It's been so long I really don't remember. I mean, I could drag the thing out, rip it, run it through the SM and see what happens, but really, does it matter? These days, I really don't care the way I used to care. I guess it's just part of getting old, and realizing that I just ordered the real thing, so what's the point of farting around with the old thing? o_O

It would not surprise me one bit that they screwed up the disc in the first place and just put up the graphics. Unless they made some SQ and other not, which is hard to believe

Back