MakeMKV/Music Media Helper - all tracks blank except the last one which contains full album!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoob

Apologies if this is addressed elsewhere, I've turned the internet upside down trying to find an answer!

I have an audio DVD with a 5.1 surround mix. Trying to extract it so I may rip the individual files.

It creates an MKV file which looks correct (the MakeMKV part). But when I use Music Media Helper to try to extract the individual files to .flac format, it creates the expected number of tracks, but all are blank except the last one, which contains one large file of the entire album. I can then load the large file into a wave editor and break them up manually, but I shouldn't have to do that (and this only seems to happen with a handful of my discs, lots of them extract the audio perfectly).

Help?

Apologies if this is addressed elsewhere, I've turned the internet upside down trying to find an answer!

I have an audio DVD with a 5.1 surround mix. Trying to extract it so I may rip the individual files.

It creates an MKV file which looks correct (the MakeMKV part). But when I use Music Media Helper to try to extract the individual files to .flac format, it creates the expected number of tracks, but all are blank except the last one, which contains one large file of the entire album. I can then load the large file into a wave editor and break them up manually, but I shouldn't have to do that (and this only seems to happen with a handful of my discs, lots of them extract the audio perfectly).

Help?
I've had this happen before with several discs. The only workaround I found was to go back and use DVD Decrypter to get the DTS tracks off the disc and then a Python program to "wrap" the DTS data into a WAV file which I then FLACed.

Can you open the MKV in the Music Media Helper Chapter Editor and post a screen shot please? Or alternatively upload the MKV and send me a PM with a link and I’ll take a look at the issue.

Can you open the MKV in the Music Media Helper Chapter Editor and post a screen shot please? Or alternatively upload the MKV and send me a PM with a link and I’ll take a look at the issue.
Based on my experience, it's likely that the problem lies with MakeMKV and not MMH. Some discs--the King Crimsons come to mind--seem to have some authoring quirk that confuses MakeMKV at chapter time but work fine with DVD Decrypter.

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17627&p=63671&hilit=king+crimson#p63671

Yes certainly. This is what I get with the Razor and Tie edition of the first Emerson, Lake and Palmer album.

musicmediascreenshot.jpg

That’s the issue @atrocity mentioned with MakeMKV. If you are using the latest version of MakeMKV the other thing would be to rerip without the video stream to a mka file, and split that in MMH to FLAC

That’s the issue @atrocity mentioned with MakeMKV. If you are using the latest version of MakeMKV the other thing would be to rerip without the video stream to a mka file, and split that in MMH to FLAC

Thanks, I've never ripped to MKA before. Is there a good (easy) program that is recommended? (Maybe MakeMKV can do it but I can't figure it out...)

MKVTOOLNIX is free and will do it (don’t select the video stream) but I think you need to decrypt first with MakeMKV using the ‘backup’ option. Open the backup in MKVToolNix and create the MKA. Or open the backup using AudioMuxer (free) and convert to FLAC.

EDIT: You can try to open the DVD using AudioMuxer without using MakeMKV if the DVD has no copyright protection.

Back