Mardis Gras 2019 Surround Playlist

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~dave~~wave~

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I had forgotten today is Mardis Gras until I went out to lunch and heard Professor Longhair on the restaurant sound system.
As I got dinner ready I mixed a Bulleit Rye 95 sazerac cocktail and trawled through my surround discs for some celebratory surround tracks.
Submitted for your approval:
  • Blood On The Tracks ~ Tangled Up In Blue (... I drifted on down to New Orleans...)
  • Best of Aretha ~ Chain of Fools (Joe South extended electric guitar tremolo intro only on quad)
  • Music From Big Pink ~ We Can Talk -> Long Distance Operator (bonus track)
  • Moondance ~ Caravan
  • Herbie Hancock ~ Gershwin's World
    • St. Louis Blues ( Stevie Wonder harmonica & vocal)
    • My Man's Gone Now
    • The Man I Love ( Joni Mitchell vocal)
    • Summertime (Joni l vocal, Stevie harmonica)
  • Idlewild South ~ Revival -> Please Don't Keep Me Wonderin'
  • Eat A Peach ~ Stand Back -> Trouble No More
  • Layla (the much-maligned SACD mix) ~ Any Day (Duane Allman slide gtr)
  • Medeski, Martin & Wood ~ Your Name Is Snake Anthony (Col. Bruce Hampton, ret., spoken word)
  • Doors ~ Soul Kitchen -> People Are Strange
  • Laura Nyro ~ Sweet Blindness -> Stoned Soul Picnic
  • Sly & The Family Stone ~ Everyday People -> Hot Fun in the Summertime
  • The Audio Fidelity Collection (much-maligned, under-rated in the poll)
    • Earth, Wind & Fire ~ Shining Star
    • The O'Jays ~ For The Love Of Money
    • Isley Brothers ~ Who's That Lady Pts. 1 & 2
  • 1971 Fillmore East Recordings Blu Ray ~ 3-13-71 2nd Show
    • Statesboro Blues (unreleased) -> Drunken Hearted Boy (Elvin Bishop vocal)
  • Love and Theft ~ High Water (For Charley Patton)
  • Blonde On Blonde ~ Rainy Day Women #12 & 35 [E-e-e EV-ery body MUST git stoned...]
Now on to Dr John and the Neville Brothers in fake surround with a second after-dinner Sazerac...

Over to you folks, got anything?

I had forgotten today is Mardis Gras until I went out to lunch and heard Professor Longhair on the restaurant sound system.
As I got dinner ready I mixed a Bulleit Rye 95 sazerac cocktail and trawled through my surround discs for some celebratory surround tracks.
Submitted for your approval:
  • Blood On The Tracks ~ Tangled Up In Blue (... I drifted on down to New Orleans...)
  • Best of Aretha ~ Chain of Fools (Joe South extended electric guitar tremolo intro only on quad)
  • Music From Big Pink ~ We Can Talk -> Long Distance Operator (bonus track)
  • Moondance ~ Caravan
  • Herbie Hancock ~ Gershwin's World
    • St. Louis Blues ( Stevie Wonder harmonica & vocal)
    • My Man's Gone Now
    • The Man I Love ( Joni Mitchell vocal)
    • Summertime (Joni l vocal, Stevie harmonica)
  • Idlewild South ~ Revival -> Please Don't Keep Me Wonderin'
  • Eat A Peach ~ Stand Back -> Trouble No More
  • Layla (the much-maligned SACD mix) ~ Any Day (Duane Allman slide gtr)
  • Medeski, Martin & Wood ~ Your Name Is Snake Anthony (Col. Bruce Hampton, ret., spoken word)
  • Doors ~ Soul Kitchen -> People Are Strange
  • Laura Nyro ~ Sweet Blindness -> Stoned Soul Picnic
  • Sly & The Family Stone ~ Everyday People -> Hot Fun in the Summertime
  • The Audio Fidelity Collection (much-maligned, under-rated in the poll)
    • Earth, Wind & Fire ~ Shining Star
    • The O'Jays ~ For The Love Of Money
    • Isley Brothers ~ Who's That Lady Pts. 1 & 2
  • 1971 Fillmore East Recordings Blu Ray ~ 3-13-71 2nd Show
    • Statesboro Blues (unreleased) -> Drunken Hearted Boy (Elvin Bishop vocal)
  • Love and Theft ~ High Water (For Charley Patton)
  • Blonde On Blonde ~ Rainy Day Women #12 & 35 [E-e-e EV-ery body MUST git stoned...]
Now on to Dr John and the Neville Brothers in fake surround with a second after-dinner Sazerac...

Over to you folks, got anything?

Nice! For me, Mardi Gras is more about Trinidad & Tobago (and Brazil) than New Orleans. So I'd add Andy Narell's "Coffee Street," a 1999 Panorama (steelband competition) tune fromThe Passage. And then maybe something from Caetano Veloso's Muito Mais Caetano? More MPB than samba, but "Tropicalia," "Você É Linda," and "Só Vou Gostar" are all carnival-flavored.

Last edited:
Layla (the much-maligned SACD mix) ~ Any Day (Duane Allman slide gtr)

What a shame you're stuck with that. Scheiner's mix is epic with the piano and organ isolated in the rears.

"Anyday":

It really sucks that more members didn't get to hear the Scheiner Layla. It's one of my favorite surround discs ever.

What a shame you're stuck with that. Scheiner's mix is epic with the piano and organ isolated in the rears.

"Anyday":
View attachment 38870

It really sucks that more members didn't get to hear the Scheiner Layla. It's one of my favorite surround discs ever.

Jonathan, one of our esteemed members very kindly made me a FLAC DVD~R 5.1 dub from the DTS Scheiner 5.1 remix and I swear to God it sounds like a bone fide MLP DVD~A 5.1. Absolutely ASTOUNDING!

Leaves the SACD in the dust!

Jonathan, one of our esteemed members very kindly made me a FLAC DVD~R 5.1 dub from the DTS Scheiner 5.1 remix and I swear to God it sounds like a bone fide MLP DVD~A 5.1. Absolutely ASTOUNDING!

Leaves the SACD in the dust!

Yeah, it's a masterpiece. The definitive version of one of my favorite albums. Glad you got to check it out.

Scheiner's mix of 461 Ocean Boulevard has a much better mastering, but I like the content and surround mix on Layla more. I paid around $120 for a used copy of the SDE with no regrets whatsoever.

Nice! For me, Mardi Gras is more about Trinidad & Tobago (and Brazil) than New Orleans. So I'd add Andy Narell's "Coffee Street," a 1999 Panorama (steelband competition) tune on The Passage. And then maybe something from Caetano Veloso's Mueto Mais Caetano?

Obrigado! 🇧🇷

Is the bonus DVD in surround?
The cds on discogs all ship from Brazil or Portugal, lowest price USD $3.18.

Obrigado! 🇧🇷

Is the bonus DVD in surround?
The cds on discogs all ship from Brazil or Portugal, lowest price USD $3.18.

View attachment 38883

I'll be honest: I've got a less-than-legitimate ISO. (Ulp.) My understanding is that the album was sold in at least two different packages, one DVD-sized, the other CD-sized. But I'm pretty sure that in both cases, the DVD is a 5.1 a DVD-Audio, yeah. You'd think some of the older tracks would have to be synthesized surround, à la what Barclay did with the Jacques Brel compilations. But the whole album sounds great, with lots of discrete stuff going on in the rears.

Last edited:
Back