Marshall Blonstein of Audio Fidelity at WAX Record / Music Collecting Event Oct/24-25

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If Marshall prefers not to release albums previously available on SACD then how does that explain their BST disc, it was on MoFi not that long ago.
And the Grover Washington and George Benson discs were also released on SACD in Japan.
Guess what I'm saying is; I hope he bends the rules once in a while
He does in fact bend the rules now and again.
He must have thought BS&T was such a TKO, and the quad mix was of high standard, he'd go for it.
I gather Marshall likes quad when it's done well.
Down the line we are going to see a couple more titles that seem to break the rules as well. And I must say I agree they are top tier titles worth making exceptions for. But these two are not previously MFSL releases.

If Marshall prefers not to release albums previously available on SACD then how does that explain their BST disc, it was on MoFi not that long ago.

The key is how recently were the albums reissued on CD or SACD. And are copies still available on the market?
That's closer to how Audio Fidelity - and the other reissue labels - view this than an absolute rule.

The key is how recently were the albums reissued on CD or SACD. And are copies still available on the market?
That's closer to how Audio Fidelity - and the other reissue labels - view this than an absolute rule.

Well those 10 year old MFSL SACDs of EWF/That's The Way Of The World and Edgar Winter Group/They Only Come Out At Night are long out of print now.. just sayin'.. ;)

Well those 10 year old MFSL SACDs of EWF/That's The Way Of The World and Edgar Winter Group/They Only Come Out At Night are long out of print now.. just sayin'.. ;)

There was also a Sony Music CD reissue of both albums in 2008. Probably too many recent reissues to make these two a high priority right now at Audio Fidelity.

There was also a Sony Music CD reissue of both albums in 2008. Probably too many recent reissues to make these two a high priority right now at Audio Fidelity.

That Edgar Winter title should be of the highest priority. Even if they have to pay extra to license it. He should be on the phone daily checking into it.

EWF... don't care about that one anyway.

Really..?? That's was seven years ago.. and it was on CD.. it'd be EIGHT years' gap if AF got Surround SACDs out as soon as next year.

With the greatest respect to all involved in this wonderful AF programme and I have NO idea how the music biz works so I may be deluded - but to a consumer, this consumer, it appears ludicrous to close the door on a Hi-Res release with Surround on the basis that 7 years ago there was a CD..

That Edgar Winter title should be of the highest priority. Even if they have to pay extra to license it. He should be on the phone daily checking into it.

EWF... don't care about that one anyway.

I agree on the Edgar W., that one really must get the Surround SACD treatment, it's a great one and a big one.

Uhh.. if you'd heard how good the sound quality and aspects of the mix are on the SQ record, which totally knocks the Q8 into a cocked hat imho btw and I imagine only hints at the sound of the master tapes, you would want EWF's That's The Way Of The World to appear on AF Surround.. it would be an asset to them and their Quad/surround programme and receive many plaudits I'm sure.. but you're fully entitled to your opinion of course :)

Re: Edgar Winter Group, the MFSL release was an SACD. Even being released 10 years ago, it was probably in print for 3 to 5 years. So when you are running on thin margins anyway, those buyers not going to buy it again because they have an SACD already - this cuts into the sales by a significant number. I want that quad mix as much as anyone. That was my favorite album from that year and I even saw the tour with Ronnie Montrose on guitar.

But... As long as the great stuff keeps coming out like it has from AF and other labels, I can forget about Edgar for right now. I'm still blown away by getting the Aqualung quad mix, the WYWH and Dark Side, and the AF titles - Muscle of Love is great. We are in good times right now. Let's be grateful for what has come out and what is coming soon.

Then later when it dries up we can then start complaining about the missing quad mixes.

Edgar Winter Group is a classic album with big hits on it, and a classic quad mix. If Audio Fidelity can release BS&T after there were 2 previous SACD releases, I see no reason they shouldn't be able to pull off this classic quad mix.

But we don't know for sure, it could have been the BS&T SACD that made them decide never again do one that was out previously on SACD. Maybe this title did horribly in the marketplace and they just have not said so and have eaten a loss on it.

This was an early release in the 4.0 SACD line. Could have been a bust you never know.

But we don't know for sure, it could have been the BS&T SACD that made them decide never again do one that was out previously on SACD. Maybe this title did horribly in the marketplace and they just have not said so and have eaten a loss on it.

This was an early release in the 4.0 SACD line. Could have been a bust you never know.

Now that we have had a "taste" of these vintage titles I think we are getting a little greedy...I like what AF is doing and I'm willing to accept what they give us and not make demands...they have their reasons for not going after certain titles and most importantly they have the information to make those decisions.....unlike people on this forum... who for the most part.... are just speculating on what is viable as a release...

Don't get me wrong, I love what AF is doing. They are out there doing what we've been screaming for someone in the industry to do for quite some time. I applaud their efforts, and reward them with cash for their products. Sometimes my tone may come across as critical, but my intent is to share my knowledge, my perspective, and my opinions, to allow an informed decision to be made that includes not only what they know about what's going on on the inside, but also what their paying customers are interested in. Maybe some of what I say is speculation, but I am informed in certain ways, I think I often have a good feel for what is desirable in the quad/surround collecting community. Also, I seem to recall the BS&T title selling out the first run rather quickly. I have no inside knowledge, but I would take a guess that it was considered a success by AF...but that is a little bit of speculation based on some observation. My gut feeling is that Edgar Winter would be another success. But, that's also a little bit of outsider speculation as well.

We can only hope that Ahmet will see things a bit differently.

Over the years there have been many attempts by different companies to license the Zappa catalog for SACD release.
It wouldn't surprise me at all if Audio Fidelity has also come up unsuccessful in their interest in licensing this catalog for SACD.

Re: Edgar Winter Group, the MFSL release was an SACD. Even being released 10 years ago, it was probably in print for 3 to 5 years. So when you are running on thin margins anyway, those buyers not going to buy it again because they have an SACD already - this cuts into the sales by a significant number. I want that quad mix as much as anyone. That was my favorite album from that year and I even saw the tour with Ronnie Montrose on guitar.

But... As long as the great stuff keeps coming out like it has from AF and other labels, I can forget about Edgar for right now. I'm still blown away by getting the Aqualung quad mix, the WYWH and Dark Side, and the AF titles - Muscle of Love is great. We are in good times right now. Let's be grateful for what has come out and what is coming soon.

Then later when it dries up we can then start complaining about the missing quad mixes.

The challenge on that one - and That's The Way of the World - is it has been reissued multiple times. So it does lead Audio Fidelity to wonder will yet another reissue do well and exceed the guarantee payment + costs to issue.
I'm sure that's why they went with Open Our Eyes as a Multichannel SACD vs. That's The Way of the World.

If they ever do release the Edgar Winter in quad I hope they can also include the 45 single mixes as well. Free Ride is drastically different than either the quad or stereo album mix. My favorite version.

The challenge on that one - and That's The Way of the World - is it has been reissued multiple times. So it does lead Audio Fidelity to wonder will yet another reissue do well and exceed the guarantee payment + costs to issue.
I'm sure that's why they went with Open Our Eyes as a Multichannel SACD vs. That's The Way of the World.

Have you heard the original SACD of That's The Way Of The World?

Anybody wanting that now and chasing it at the usual crazy inflated out of print prices should know in advance what a piece of offensive sounding garbage it is (ditto for the MFSL SACD of Edgar Winter).

Another reason why AF should redo these two imho, they both deserve decent Hi-res stereo (at last) as much as the Quad.
If it wasn't for my OCD collecting (gotta have em all and all that palaver) I'd gladly get rid of those two MFSL SACDs, they're awful.

Back