Marvin Gaye Midnight Love

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr8track

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Being new to the world of SACD's, this is only the second one I have purchased. I recently purchased a Pioneer DV563A Universal Player. So, according to many posts I've read, I'm probably not listening to this SACD at it's utmost quality. But regardless, here's what I thought of this Marvin Gaye title. First of all, this was Marvin's last studio release before he was killed by his crazed father. I am a fan of Marvin, but have only been familiar with his hits. This is the first non-hit collection I've ever listened to. I have to say that by far, my favorite song on the CD is the one big hit from the album, Sexual Healing. I've probably have played that single tune 30 times. The rest of the album is taking awhile to grow on me.
The cd separation is excellent. Some well chosen rear channel effects, but not to the point of distracting from the tune. The clarity and sound quality is excellent. Quite an improvement from the first SACD I purchased, which was Big Brother's Cheap Thrills. I enjoyed that one because I love the album, but I was a bit underwhelmed by the audio quality.
If you're a die hard Marvin Gaye fan, then I think you'll really enjoy this album. If you've only had an opportunity to appreciate his hit tunes, then like me, the remainder of this recording will probably take some time to grow on you. As far as overall enjoyment of song selection, it is hard to top the Marvin Gaye dts release, Forever Yours or the quad Marvin Gaye Live!

This is quite an underrated release, which I don't see mentioned much. But I agree, I really love the surround presentation here. Very discrete, lots going on in the rears, but none of it distracting at all. Plus, a pretty good album in and of itself. Definitely recommended.

dprokopy said:
This is quite an underrated release, which I don't see mentioned much. But I agree, I really love the surround presentation here. Very discrete, lots going on in the rears, but none of it distracting at all. Plus, a pretty good album in and of itself. Definitely recommended.

Hey David,
I see you live in Bothell. So do I! What are the chances you'd find two quad fans in the same town?
I don't live too far from the Canyon Park shopping center. How about you?
George

dprokopy said:

If you like this one in Surround, check out "The Life" by Ginuwine. It was mixed by the same producer/engineer (Jimmy Douglass) that did the Surround Remix on Midnight Love and is also an excellent example of a Surround SACD with quite a bit happening in all of the primary speakers. Recommended.

At last also we here in Gemany can buy the M.G. "Let's Get It On". So I can also report my impression. I mean, that the sound an the channel separation is well, athough it is a new surround-mix from the 16 original recording tracks. Who needs more power in the rear channels, may lift up the volume there. This is unfortunately often to do by the "modern" Surround mixes, but then you will have - not always - a true quadraphonic surround character. Acual there are a few more SA-CD's in the record shops - as "Kitaro" or "T.Rex" or Dolly Parton. But some of the news are here absolute unknown. Who knows for example "Bob Belchen" or "Bill Charlap"? If this artists are more known in he USA, one an tell me, which art of music they will play. For further "bad buys" my money will be too much pity for me and other fans. Dietrich

dr8track said:
I don't live too far from the Canyon Park shopping center. How about you?
Hey,George. Sounds like you're right around the corner from me! I've seen (and talked to) quite a few people from the area on here. Maybe we ought to have some sort of local listening party thing! (Then again, we'd all be fighting for the "sweet spot.")

At any rate, if you want to contact me off-board (so we don't bore everyone else on here), you can email me at [email protected].

Quadro-Action said:
At last also we here in Gemany can buy the M.G. "Let's Get It On". So I can also report my impression. I mean, that the sound an the channel separation is well, athough it is a new surround-mix from the 16 original recording tracks. Who needs more power in the rear channels, may lift up the volume there. This is unfortunately often to do by the "modern" Surround mixes, but then you will have - not always - a true quadraphonic surround character. Acual there are a few more SA-CD's in the record shops - as "Kitaro" or "T.Rex" or Dolly Parton. But some of the news are here absolute unknown. Who knows for example "Bob Belchen" or "Bill Charlap"? If this artists are more known in he USA, one an tell me, which art of music they will play. For further "bad buys" my money will be too much pity for me and other fans. Dietrich

Bob Belden and Bill Charlap are jazz artists in the U.S. and are known here by jazz fans. The Belden SACD is also of note in that it was recorded and mastered in DSD and Belden has produced some of the Miles Davis SACD reissues for Columbia Records.

As for the A&M Europe release of T. Rex' Electric Warrior, you're a bit ahead of the U.S. there. We won't see that one domestically until next year on DVD-A.

Back