Masterwork (not works) SQ-43 Turntable with SQ Decoder?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elecuyer

Hi Everyone.

I'm not an audiophile or a quad enthusiast. I am a musician and have some knowledge in recording/audio - and I have a mystery.

I'm in the process of cleaning out my parents' home, where they have lived since 1971. As long as I can remember, they had a Masterwork SQ-43 Turntable. They think they purchased it (along with a receiver/amplifier/8-track, long discarded) at Lechmere in Dedham MA.

As far as I know, it works fine. However, I have no way to test it. Pictures attached. I also found two SQ records (Annie, and Tchaikovsky Swan Lake) to go with it.

I have scoured the web looking for any information on this device and have come up completely empty. Nothing. I found this forum (which does have lots of useful and interesting information on quadraphonic systems), so I thought I would ask here.

Basically, I want to know do I:
- Keep it, because it's cool.
- Sell it, because it's collectable/usable (and if so, I would like to see it go to a good home.)
- Toss it, because it's a POS.

20150709_134729.jpg
20150709_134757.jpg
20150709_134826.jpg
20150709_134918.jpg
20150709_134933.jpg
20150709_134950.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Everyone.

I'm not an audiophile or a quad enthusiast. I am a musician and have some knowledge in recording/audio - and I have a mystery.

I'm in the process of cleaning out my parents' home, where they have lived since 1971. As long as I can remember, they had a Masterwork SQ-43 Turntable. They think they purchased it (along with a receiver/amplifier/8-track, long discarded) at Lechmere in Dedham MA.

As far as I know, it works fine. However, I have no way to test it. Pictures attached. I also found two SQ records (Annie, and Tchaikovsky Swan Lake) to go with it.

I have scoured the web looking for any information on this device and have come up completely empty. Nothing. I found this forum (which does have lots of useful and interesting information on quadraphonic systems), so I thought I would ask here.

Basically, I want to know do I:
- Keep it, because it's cool.
- Sell it, because it's collectable/usable (and if so, I would like to see it go to a good home.)
- Toss it, because it's a POS.

View attachment 19857
View attachment 19858
View attachment 19859
View attachment 19860
View attachment 19861
View attachment 19862

Welcome to the forum:bounce17..I'm sure there are posters on here that can give you advice about that equipment...but I wanted to mention that you don't have to be an audiophile or quad fan to enjoy this forum...if you love music this is the right place...what kind of music do you play?

Hi Clint,

I am a keyboardist with a very split personality. My "band" (if you want to call it that) is "The Sponge Awareness Foundation" as heard on "The Doctor Demento Show" (another throwback from the past.) Find out more at www.spongeawareness.com.

But more regularly, I lead music at various church services, including co-directing a Youth Choir/band.

-Ed

Actually that COLUMBIA RECORDS SQ DECODER/RECORD PLAYER is somewhat rare, and it's why you should keep it.

Also check out the Quad Matrix disc entries in":Whats your latest quad matrix lp?" Thread.....MATRIX LP/CD FORMATS section/s

You will find new and old collector's postings, recent pics, etc.

A must for all.........and me to...says...welcome to the forum, and I like thos pics.

The more I think about it, the more I know (unfortunately) that I would just put in a box in the basement - which will eventually get smashed, ruined, etc. I have too many other hobbies/commitments so becoming a "quadrophile" in this lifetime isn't really an option.

So, how do I find this "somewhat rare" turntable a good home? Ebay? Anyone in Mass/NH area have need of it?

what kind of music do you play?

I'm a keyboardist with a dual personality.

My band is The Sponge Awareness Foundation, as heard on The Doctor Demento Show (another throwback to a bygone era.) Learn more (if you dare) at www.spongeawareness.com

I also lead church music at several different congregations and denominations. Right now, most of my efforts are with a youth choir that I co-direct.

You can maybe put it on the sale/trade site here on QQ (if they will let you)

The "rules" say that you need at least 10 posts before listing it on the sale/trade section of the QQ. As a forum admin myself, I totally get that. They also say that a price should be given in the ad - and I have no idea what it's worth. I just want it to go to a good home. Bonus points if I don't have to ship it somewhere.

The "rules" say that you need at least 10 posts before listing it on the sale/trade section of the QQ. As a forum admin myself, I totally get that. They also say that a price should be given in the ad - and I have no idea what it's worth. I just want it to go to a good home. Bonus points if I don't have to ship it somewhere.

That rule is basically to keep people from joining up, selling, and leaving. However, that may not be bad in all cases, as the item being sold might be something that is very desirable.

It's not a hard and fast rule, at least I don't want it to be cast in stone, so if you want to sell it here, be my guest!

I'm a keyboardist with a dual personality.

My band is The Sponge Awareness Foundation, as heard on The Doctor Demento Show (another throwback to a bygone era.) Learn more (if you dare) at www.spongeawareness.com

I also lead church music at several different congregations and denominations. Right now, most of my efforts are with a youth choir that I co-direct.

That's very cool...especially rocking George Jetson:spot

Back