May be hope yet for SACD & DVD-A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
(also posted at SH)

This weeks Billboard (4/24) has a big article about DVD-A and SACD awareness!
The DVD-A council is preparing 2 new initiatives, one for industry buyers, and another with a "major" electronic reseller.

They have set up a new website www.dvdaudio-info.com

They go on to say that SONY is working on a new campaign stressing the MUSIC componenet of their format, stating that is what the hi-rez customer wants.

Let's hope they kick these formats into high gear before it's too late!

I went to a Best Buy here in Portland to look at sacd players,they not only did not have any,the salesman in that department told me he did not know what an sacd was.Incredible.

This is good news, especially if they actually follow through on their intentions, and get designated "big box" stores involved more; there definately needs to be some major education on the retail front. About a year ago, I was looking for a SACD player, and when I asked an employee in the electronics section of a local Future Shop if they had any Super Audio CD players, he looked at me rather confused and asked, "you mean an S-cable?"

I'm glad to hear Sony actually even discussing SACD, considering their pathetic output this past year. If Sony is indeed "stressing that MUSIC is what the hi-rez customers want," then prove it to us all, and get some more popular mainstream titles out the door, and with a healthy regularity. It's time to get rolling before they lose even the early adopters.

Cheers,

Well I visited a Future Shop and asked the salesman where the DVD audio disks were located and he looked at me like I had two heads and said,..I kid you not, all DVDs have audio on them!
Time to educate the big box stores on DVD-A and SACD!

Anyways great forum

Well a DVD salesman said to me ALL DVD PLAYERS PLAY DVD AUDIO.
And yes both statment are right and wrong

Back