Melanie Safka dead at 76 sang 'Brand New Key' & 'Lay Down'

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loved, LOVED Melanie and her perky upbeat style. May you rest in peace, Melanie and continue your musical journey as one with the Universe

R.de09baef403f85310d84b016ac4f327d

Lay Down (Candles in the Rain) was a major late 60's anthem. It had the Edwin Hawkins Singers ("Oh Happy Day") backing. A more series tone in this track. But I loved "Look What They've Done to My Song, Ma" as well. I hope she made some decent money off of the three or four hits she had.

WKBW.... There's a blast from the past. When AM radio was king.
Grew up there, it was a 50k watt ”clear” station, which I think meant there was no other station competing on that frequency. I heard that on some nights, the signal could bounce all the way to Chicago. That’s probably why AM sounded so bad at night with all those signals bouncing around!

Very sad. I remember when the "serious" music world castigated her for doing "Brand New Key" and I hated them for that. A bunch of phonies.

RIP

Doug
I actually hated that song! I don't mind it now that it's not played everyday on the radio. I think that song caused people to think less seriously of her music, sort of type casting her. Incredible when you think of all the great hits that preceded it. And a lot of great stuff afterwards.

I used to heavily play the compilation album "Four Sides Of Melanie". Side four were live recordings that sounded great via the DynaQuad speaker configuration. Her voice sort of echoed in the back speakers, fantastic hall ambiance!

I remember having the photos/posters from "Stoneground Words" on my wall.

Back