Mike Oldfield's "Airborn" - possibly unmarked quad?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
When Mike Oldfield's album "Platinum" was released, for some reason Virgin in America released a double-album version called "Airborn." Disc one was a modified version of "Platinum." Disc two contained a live recording of "Tubular Bells, Part 1" and a hybrid live/studio of "Incantations." The recording of "Tubular Bells, Part 1" was from the same tour recordings that were used for "Exposed" but is a completely different performance. Since "Exposed" was a quad-only release, I was wondering if the recording of "Tubular Bells, Part 1" from "Airborn" is an unmarked quad recording. As a test, I ran the "Airborn" version through the AA SQ script. Results? On the one hand, there doesn't seem to be as much hall ambiance in the rears as there is when "Exposed" is decoded. On the other hand, certain guitar and vibraphone parts are *very* discreet in the rears. Admittedly, those parts still exist in the fronts, but that's true for how "Exposed" was mixed.

So I ask any of you who own this album - what do you think? Unmarked SQ or something like the Hafler effect?

J. D.

He liked quad and would have told ya if it was is my guess. Problem is listening to that stuff, gotta be stoned out of your mind.

Back