Moloko - Statues ...thumbs up!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Picked this up at the HMV on Oxford St. in London the other day (there were about 5 copies, which was a good sign I thought). Great sounding disc, incredibly deep bass. The music is a bit hard to describe, sort of a cross between Portishead style vocals and Groove Armada music and production, but a bit more quirky...very dance oriented though. The mix is quite agressive, lots of discrete stuff in the rears and a few front to back pans, and some swirly stuff too. Reccomended if you like this sort of music!

Dave.

i would second this...ordered it from Amazon.co.uk. This is the 4th album from Moloko and probably their best overall.
the band has not gotten any notoriety in north america but are big in the UK.
predominantly a duo, i'm not sure i would compare them to portishead myself (no offence steelydave) as they are WAY more upbeat and danceclub friendly. roisin murphy, the female vocalist has a very distinctive voice which i think would be a "love or hate it" proposition - i happen to love it!
i had the standard cd of this release for almost a year and i am very happy with the surround mix. there is no credit for who did it but there is a lot of back speaker action but not in a gimmicky way - the best way to describe it is "well rounded". i found the mix to be very immersive and BIG BASS!
the best news of all is that this release comes from a small indie label called Echo that appears to be in the SACD game as they will be releasing another high profile UK title from the band "feeder" in january.
/\/\

This forum sure is slow, even on broadband

Last edited:
DrMabuse2001 said:
i had the standard cd of this release for almost a year and i am very happy with the surround mix. there is no credit for who did it but there is a lot of back speaker action but not in a gimmicky way - the best way to describe it is "well rounded". i found the mix to be very immersive and BIG BASS!
the best news of all is that this release comes from a small indie label called Echo that appears to be in the SACD game as they will be releasing another high profile UK title from the band "feeder" in january.
/\/\

It was mixed by Matt Lawrence himself, and surround mastering was also by Tony Cousins.

They have no other plans at present, as is often the way, they were "encouraged" to do these 2 titles, in this case by Phillips.

DrMabuse2001 said:
i would second this...ordered it from Amazon.co.uk. This is the 4th album from Moloko and probably their best overall.
the band has not gotten any notoriety in north america but are big in the UK.
predominantly a duo, i'm not sure i would compare them to portishead myself (no offence steelydave) as they are WAY more upbeat and danceclub friendly. roisin murphy, the female vocalist has a very distinctive voice which i think would be a "love or hate it" proposition - i happen to love it!
/\/\
Ok,I give up! How did you order this? I went to amazon.co.uk and did a search for Moloko. Found CDs, Vinyl, Cassettes, DVDs forms of albums and singles..... no DVD-Audios. Also looked using their DVD-Audio button.
Nothing.
Please provide a link!
Thanks!

Back