Moody Blues Boxset with 5.1 DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
great info Ed, thank you (y)

bit confused tho., are you saying the multitracks for the albums were wiped and all that's left now are mono, stereo and quad mixdown masters?

I guess that figures as to why there haven't been any 5.1 remixes of these albums for SA-CD, only 5.1 repurposing of the quad mixes.

No, the multis probably still exist. But any other quad mixes not intended for release were probably wiped. As you know, an album can go through quite a bit of mixing just to get to a stereo mixdown, let alone a more complex quad mix. And often some tracks, even entire albums, went through a remix, but if someone wasn't entirely cool with it, another might be made, and another, and...whatever it took to get things right. While there is always the possibility, it just seems unlikely that any other quad mixes of these albums, if attempted were kept, otherwise the risk of them eventually surfacing. Which still leaves at least some of LOST CHORD in the vaults, remixed to quad, even if the entire album didn't work well enough to justify release.

ED :)

DTS and Dullllllbbbeee on the discs acording to someone on the Hoff forum
If he's not using a machine with dvd-audio capability those are the only two formats that would show up. What player is he using? Maybe you could click on his profile. I can't not being a member.

If he's not using a machine with dvd-audio capability those are the only two formats that would show up. What player is he using? Maybe you could click on his profile. I can't not being a member.

Or he/she may have checked if there is any content in the AUDIO_TS folder..

well anyway we shall find out a definitive answer soon enough once QQ members get their sets and either jump up in excitement (or in anger, lol)

Check out this here foolish speak over at SH:
I prefer DVD Video simply because of the fact, that it's easier to handle. I have few DVD-Audios and it's always a time-consuming nightmare to start them. And I can only use the "extern input" of my receiver, which has no sound control and therefor sounds flat and lifeless......and besides I don't know anyone else who owns a DVD-A player .

My response:
Why? Why not have both?! Almost every DVD-Audio disc is actually a DVD-A/V hybrid, so it can be played across all DVD players, and those of us who want (and can) listen to the high-res have the opportunity to do so. Universal have been so inconsistent when it comes to DVD-A/V vs DVD-V...

There is a bias over there that skews heavily towards SACD and against DVD-A. They always harp on the "you need a monitor" and "They're too hard to use" rants.

Childish, IMHO. To me, there is no reason not to like both of the "dead" formats.

I prefer VHS to Blu-Ray for several reasons:
1- The software is thicker. As anyone will tell you, thicker is better.
2- Less lines of resolution look better, especially on my 60" plasma. Too many lines can be fatal.
3- All the snow blown up reminds me of winter. It's tranquil.
4- Tracking controls are fun to play with.
5- It takes much longer to get to each track/chapter, which gives me more time to do other things in between.
6- If they jam and the tape spills out, you can use the tape inside as a streamer, reminding you of New Year's.
7- Lossless audio hurts my ears, which are very sensitive (all four of them.) Lossy audio gives my ears less to process.
8- Two channels of audio are too many. One is best. 5.1 means triple the number of speakers and amplifier channels, i.e. more gear to pay for and more to break. Besides, do you know any singers that have four or six mouths?

Using this logic, i should join the SH forum. No doubt I'd become a moderator and be running the place within a short time.

2- Less lines of resolution look better, especially on my 60" plasma. Too many lines can be fatal.
5- It takes much longer to get to each track/chapter, which gives me more time to do other things in between.
6- If they jam and the tape spills out, you can use the tape inside as a streamer, reminding you of New Year's.
7- Lossless audio hurts my ears, which are very sensitive (all four of them.) Lossy audio gives my ears less to process.
8- Two channels of audio are too many. One is best. 5.1 means triple the number of speakers and amplifier channels, i.e. more gear to pay for and more to break. Besides, do you know any singers that have four or six mouths?

Using this logic, i should join the SH forum. No doubt I'd become a moderator and be running the place within a short time.

:ugham:

Pulled this from a fellow who got it yesterday. DVD audio takes too much room, that is all they thought about.

The DVDs are Region 0 NTSC. On the downside, it seems the multi-channel mixes are DVD Video, not DVD Audio.
First impression: it's far from what it could have been, but it's still a pretty cool thing. I can't wait to listen!

Pulled this from a fellow who got it yesterday. DVD audio takes too much room, that is all they thought about.

The DVDs are Region 0 NTSC. On the downside, it seems the multi-channel mixes are DVD Video, not DVD Audio.
First impression: it's far from what it could have been, but it's still a pretty cool thing. I can't wait to listen!

Is there anyway we can sic Neil (Wilkes) on these guys over at the SH forum to give them a proper education on DVD-A(/V) vs just DVD-V?
These people are so BRAINDEAD... :mad:@:

I'm glad I kept all my Laserdiscs! They're so MA-HOO-SIVE they must hold more than a pesky little blu-ray..!!

They're the best thing since spliced 8-tracks..!!

:ugham:

well they ran out of room in the box for a couple more DVD-A's since they stuffed it full of fake concert tickets, iron-on badges and cassette tapes with NO FRIGGIN' MUSIC on them...!!!!!!!!!!!! :howl

There is a bias over there that skews heavily towards SACD and against DVD-A. They always harp on the "you need a monitor" and "They're too hard to use" rants.

Childish, IMHO. To me, there is no reason not to like both of the "dead" formats.

There's a bias over there that skews too heavily towards Stupid.

sorry I meant Stereo. :mad:@:

Perhaps it hasn't dawned on them that if you write down the key press sequences on a post-it and stick it in the box for the 'awkward' discs that don't go straight to play..... life is a whole lot easier!

I've got all the Moody Blues SACDs and for their age the sound quality is good and I like the 4.0 mixes, it does seem bizarre not to release a box set with Hi-Res or will the Blu-Ray versions come out later?

I've got all the Moody Blues SACDs and for their age the sound quality is good and I like the 4.0 mixes, it does seem bizarre not to release a box set with Hi-Res or will the Blu-Ray versions come out later?
Blu-ray audio versions? That would be fantastic. If they do it and include the surround mixes.

What I wouldn't want is a version of the boxset that includes Blu-ray disks that you cannot buy separately.

Blu-ray audio versions? That would be fantastic. If they do it and include the surround mixes.

What I wouldn't want is a version of the boxset that includes Blu-ray disks that you cannot buy separately.

Here's a thing.
BluRay Audio discs cost around 4 to 5 times the amount a DVD-A/V will cost because of the massive additional complexity involved with the authoring as well as the mandatory, crippled AACS "copy protection" system.
What you do get is dr4amatically better graphics & visuals.
What you do *not* get is any improvement in audio quality whatsoever compared to an Audio-capable DVD player, and depending on your BluRay player you may well not actually be listening to the stream you think you are. Why? Well, basically neither DTS-HD MAS or Dolby True HD (MLP Lossless by any other name) are actually supported mandatorily in lossless - the mandatory component is the hidden core audio stream. The lights can be on but you may well be actually hearing DTS Core (16/48) or AC3 - seriously. The Dolby True HD light can be on & you may be playing AC3 as only that core stream is supported by mandate - the lossless are optional.
The only lossless 5.1 guaranteed on BD is LPCM.

Why did this not include MLP streams? I know it had nothing to do with available space, and cannot say any more than that.

Back