Moody Blues' SACDs and Noise Reduction

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cai Campbell

In Remembrance
Since 2002/2003
Do we really need another Moodies thread? Probably not, but I just wanted a place to talk specifically about the alleged noise reduction on these transfers. I'm talking specifically about the quad mixes (of course). I've listened to all four quad remixes (they're not 5.1 despite what the packaging says, and they are essentially remixes since they're not straight transfers from the quad tapes) and here are my thoughts on the noise reduction techniques that were probably used:

-------------------------------------------------------

Days of Future Passed

- Heavy noise reduction with little or no high frequency boost.

On The Threshold of a Dream

- Moderately heavy noise reduction with substantial high frequency boost.

A Question of Balance

- Moderately heavy noise reduction with some high frequency boost.

To Our Children's Children's Children

- Lightly moderate noise reduction with very limited (if any) high frequency boost.

-------------------------------------------------------

What do y'all think? Does this jive with your own experience or am I just nuts?

I'm glad you noticed that OTTOAD had a high frequency boost. I thought it was me or my system.

As stated in another thread, I am disappointed in the fact that they "blended" the mix. If they left it "intact", 4.0, everyone would have been thrilled. (I think)

Seems like the expectation today with "modern" music buyers is that anything that is marketed as "remastered" or restored must be EQ'd and NR'd. It's kind of sad, really. (I think I am)

At least the reels are still with us. (Therfore I am)

(I think)

:D

Back