More Info On The Flaming Lips Release

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As someone who is a fan, this looks like it has the potential to be the best dvd-a release ever! (So far, at least.)

GaryW said:
As someone who is a fan, this looks like it has the potential to be the best dvd-a release ever! (So far, at least.)

Sounds like this release will be the one that will set the standard for future releases to live up to....

I haven't heard them before... what's it like??

Bob Romano said:

Boy, that's a tough one...I would classify their music maybe as Neo-Psychedelic..kind of a cross between They Might Be Giants and Sonic Youth. I got into them about ten years ago when I was still experimenting,(full-blown research?), with psychedelics. They had a minor hit in the mid nineties with "She Don't Use Jelly". Their last two releases "The Soft Bulletin" and "Yoshimi....." are probably their best and most accessible. Definitely not for everyone's taste, but they are a band whose releases scream out for multichannel. I'm sure Mr. Scheiner had fun with this one and even if you don't like the music, it will probably be a very fun "demo" disc. I am not a fan of the music of Linkin Park, but I really like the "Reanimation" dvd-a. For many, this might be a similar experience.

Bob Romano said:
Sounds like this release will be the one that will set the standard for future releases to live up to....

You can listen to the entire thing on their website at a low bit rate but it gives you an idea. Here:

http://www.flaminglips.com/main.php

Is it just me or does part of the first song sound like "Father and Son" by Cat Stevens?

Guy Robinson said:
You can listen to the entire thing on their website at a low bit rate but it gives you an idea. Here:

http://www.flaminglips.com/main.php

Is it just me or does part of the first song sound like "Father and Son" by Cat Stevens?
It's not just you. I think they just settled a lawsuit about that very issue. I don't know the details but I believe even they admitted there was a (not intentional) similarity...

bizmopeen said:
It's not just you. I think they just settled a lawsuit about that very issue. I don't know the details but I believe even they admitted there was a (not intentional) similarity...

Yeah. If I was a judge that would have been a no-brainer.

Back