More James Taylor MC SACDS coming

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seaclam

I don't know if it's been mentioned here yet, but I read from MusicTap that "Flag" and "Dad Loves His Work" will come out on Dec. 2nd. If they have been done with the same care as his other titles so far, this will be awesome!

I hope these are done like Hourglass and JT, and not like October Road. In either case, I be in line to get them both...

Anyone else remember that the WB LP Sweet Baby James was scheduled to be released as a CD-4 album back there in the "old" days??

How about it WB, that one and the two Quadradiscs would make great DVD-A's, esp Gorilla!

I remember all those last WEA quad announcements in 1975 that never came to pass: Sweet Baby James, Todd Rundgren - Initation, Uriah Heep - Return To Fantasy, Billy Cobham - Spectrum (DVD-A now). Yes - Close To The Edge (someday), ELP - Trilogy (claimed to exist?), Queen II, I'm forgetting a few now....

JonUrban said:
I hope these are done like Hourglass and JT, and not like October Road. In either case, I be in line to get them both...
Jon: What exactly do you not like about the October Road SACD? I don't own it yet, but it's on my list. I have JT on SACD, but i haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.
Rgds,
--Pete

4_everyman said:
Jon: What exactly do you not like about the October Road SACD? I don't own it yet, but it's on my list. I have JT on SACD, but i haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.
Rgds,
--Pete

It's a pretty subtle surround mix compared to the others. Nice music but I'd get Hourglass and JT first on SACD Surround.

Seaclam said:
I don't know if it's been mentioned here yet, but I read from MusicTap that "Flag" and "Dad Loves His Work" will come out on Dec. 2nd. If they have been done with the same care as his other titles so far, this will be awesome!

I agree! 2 good albums that, if mixed right, will be winners!
I just wish they had some bonus tracks to add to these JT SACD's. If I'm not mistaken..the total time of each of these is less than 40min!
Who know's , maybe they'll keep the price down a bit since these are currently available as buget priced CD's.

4_everyman said:
Rgds,
--Pete

Brian, as usual when it comes to SACD, is correct. The JT and Hourglass SACDs are very surround, with JT "exposed" in the center speaker and a nice, old fashions spread of music around the soundfield.

October Road has a pretty sedate center, with very low rears. Search the SACD section, I posted a review with wav file pictures on October Road when it came out.

I am afraid that maybe JT did not like the fact that people like me would listen to the center channel solo and hear his voice by itself. I know Billy Joel freaked out about that.....

Just got one (Dad), could not find the other at BB. Will crank it up soon.

JonUrban said:
Just got one (Dad), could not find the other at BB. Will crank it up soon.

For some reason, Best Buy seems to only have that one (Dad Loves His Work) at the moment. You can find Flag at Tower Records and the various web stores that carry SACDs.

The surround mixes are both done by Nathaniel Kunzel and feature some wonderful sonics with Taylor solidly in the Center Front speaker.

My only quibble with the Dad Loves His Work SACD (as I noted in my article over on High Fidelity Review at http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=11672158) was the decision to put JD Souther in the phantom center position when he duets with Taylor. Seems to me both should be in the same spot and relative level. Oh well, otherwise a fine surround effort.

Brian,

You again are correct, and nice review. I have checked out the surround mix on "Dad" and it is pretty nice. There is not much exclusive to the rears, except for James' spoken intro into "Stand and Fight", but the center solo lead vocal is nice, as it allows the harmony backgrounds and instruments to appear fuller and more exposed.

It is odd that J.D. Southers vocal on "Her Town Too" is in the "phantom center". It actually creates a strange presentation!

Since I prefer this album to Flag, I am glad that this is the one BB has. I will get the other when I run into it.

JonUrban said:
Brian,

You again are correct, and nice review. I have checked out the surround mix on "Dad" and it is pretty nice. There is not much exclusive to the rears, except for James' spoken intro into "Stand and Fight", but the center solo lead vocal is nice, as it allows the harmony backgrounds and instruments to appear fuller and more exposed.

It is odd that J.D. Southers vocal on "Her Town Too" is in the "phantom center". It actually creates a strange presentation!

Since I prefer this album to Flag, I am glad that this is the one BB has. I will get the other when I run into it.

My take is that musically these two albums aren't as interesting as Hourglass and JT. But sonically, the surround mix is excellent. And Taylor's Center Channel only vocals are very compelling on a high end SACD system - no doubt about it. Bravo!

bmoura said:
My take is that musically these two albums aren't as interesting as Hourglass and JT. But sonically, the surround mix is excellent. And Taylor's Center Channel only vocals are very compelling on a high end SACD system - no doubt about it. Bravo!

My BB had both Dad and Flag. I bought Flag and now I want to go back and get DAD. The mix on Flag is just beautiful. Crisp sonics nice use of the rears and James solidly in the center with just a hint in the rear. Nicely done indeed.

Got Flag yesterday at BB.

This leaves only 3 JT CBS studio releases NOT available on SACD! They are:

That's Why I'm Here
Never Die Young
New Moon Shine

Maybe they will be next!

It would be nice if WB would get off of it's butt with DVD-A and do his first 6 WB albums, two of which were released as Quad LPs, and one which was announced as a QLP but cancelled. (SBJ)

:-jon

Saw these in the store the other day and have to gripe about something a bit silly...they're just in regular jewel cases, no slipcover or anything. I wish Sony would switch to the super jewelbox that Universal uses, this is a new format and I think if Apple computers taught the world anything it's that if you put your product in an ergonomic and stylish package it'll sell better!

Dave.

I AGREE! I noticed that too.

If they are going to do it the way they did it, they should delete the redbook CDs and only sell these hybrids. What's the point of having the redbooks anyway?

Back