Multi Channel PreAmp

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A/V SQuad

I am looking for a MC pre, pre/proc, or pre/proc/tuner that will allow me to integrate legacy hardware (eg Ambisonic decoder, Sansui QSD-2) into a modern setup. Quad receivers from the 70's had MC inputs and tape loops, and I know that even 10 years ago, outboard processors were not uncommon. What hardware were they generally used with?

I would like to pick up something on eBay that doesn't have HDMI switching or all the latest and greatest, but is new enough that it won't need recapping and maybe has a remote. It should be old enough that it has a phono input, a 5.1 input for my Pio 572A or whatever my SACD/DVD-A/DTS player is and two (or at least one) 4 or more channel loop.

I've been looking for weeks, and the mid level brands I would've thought could do this like Paracomp and Adcom don't seem to have this feature. Neither did legacy preamps like Phase Linear which expected you to only listen to the inboard processor, ditto Carver's newer stuff. And if I wanna go legacy separates, I need to get a Bose 4401. Or get another quad receiver which will probably soon need recapping just like my Marantz 4300 and 4100 and the Sansui I got rid of did. I was using the pre section of my Marantz 4300 for this purpose until it died. But, no mod cons like remote with that option.

I've seen recommendations for external switchers available, and kludges with "Y" cables. But I'd like to limit the complexity of the setup so that other members of my family aren't perplexed and can listen to music without going nuts. And I'd like to keep the signal path limited without extra hardware. BTW, that DBX 200 mentioned in another thread doesn't seem to be 4 channel. Am I missing something? Bridge mode? I squinted at a photo of the drawing on the unit, and there's no illustration of a return for the rear channel. Oh I get it, you need to use 2, so much for simplicity! Is this unit cleaner than the Sony SB-300 with the funky lookin' pushbuttons?

I can't be the only person who'd like to go this route. Must've been something made in that brief era of outboard AC-3 decoders. And my budget is limited. Suggestions, please?

I have 2 Sony SB-500's, which are much better looking and operationing than the SB-300s with the funky push buttons and use them for 4 ch switching into my PC recording system. They are harder to find, however.

Attachments

• sb500.jpg
    sb500.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 179
I use an Audio Refinement Pre2-DSP pre/pro, but it only has one multichannel analog input. I bought a Zektor 4-input 5.1-channel switcher (search the forums) to connect 3 MC digital players (DVD-Audio, SACD and Blu-ray), AND my legacy quad equipment ... Tate, QSD-2, CD-4 demod, Panasonic Q8, 2 TEAC quad reel machines and a Tascam 4-channel cassette deck, all of which are connected to two DBX 200 switching units.

Cables by the shitload, and Quadgirl is the only woman I know who could figure it out, but it works great. There are only a few VERY EXPENSIVE pre/pros that have two MC inputs, and there are none that I know of that have more than two.

Attachments

• prepro.jpg
    prepro.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 170
I also bought the Zektor HDS4.1 recently based on recommendations here after searching for months. I couldn't be happier - it does exactly what I need it to do. And you can program it to respond to your existing remote!

It is a little on the expensive side, but after you count up the price of 2 of anything else or substandard quality - I think it is worth every penny. You can also turn it arround and make it a speaker switch to switch one set of speakers to multiple amps.

- Ben

Relevant components:
The Sony TAP9000ES has 2 vc-controlled 5.1 inputs in addition to a 5.1 bypass and a 2channel bypass. Discontinued.
The Atoll PR5.1 has 2 mch inputs and multiple 2 channel inputs. Also an inexpensive DSP add-on.
The BC Pre6 has a myriad of inputs configurable as you need them into 5.1, 7.1 or many 2.0 or any combination. Discontinued.

Also, the new Zektor MAS7.1 has 3 7.1 inputs and 3 HDMI inputs to switch together or independently.

Links to these and others: http://www.stereophile.com/musicintheround/1107mitr/index.html

Kal

Ahhh, Mr Rubinson, exactly the kinda thing I was looking for. Assuming I can take the plunge and go modern. Of course one man's "budget" is another man's, well, not-so-budget....If it was for my study, the dbx's or sony 500's would be just the ticket...

I use two Lexicon CP1+ for ambiance recreation and for front and rear channels when listening to Quad recordings and watching movies (in 4.0).

Most of the time I'm able to keep the volume in sync.

If you want 5.1 you could use three...

I use two Lexicon CP1+ for ambiance recreation and for front and rear channels when listening to Quad recordings and watching movies (in 4.0).

Most of the time I'm able to keep the volume in sync.

If you want 5.1 you could use three...

I have heard of some guys using 3 identical remote-controlled line-stage preamps for 5.1 operation. A single remote control would raise and lower the volume at the same time. This would also give you multiple line inputs, but depending on the equipment it could be more expensive than a pre/pro and Zektor combination ... and no DD, DTS or PL II decoding. That is why I elected not to go that way.

I have heard of some guys using 3 identical remote-controlled line-stage preamps for 5.1 operation. A single remote control would raise and lower the volume at the same time. This would also give you multiple line inputs, but depending on the equipment it could be more expensive than a pre/pro and Zektor combination ... and no DD, DTS or PL II decoding. That is why I elected not to go that way.
You may still need an external switcher if you have too many sources.

BTW, I'm 99% sure the Lexicons CP1+ are put in direct-out mode if you input the signals through Tape Monitor and put the processing switch in "Post". That may be useful for some.

You may still need an external switcher if you have too many sources.

BTW, I'm 99% sure the Lexicons CP1+ are put in direct-out mode if you input the signals through Tape Monitor and put the processing switch in "Post". That may be useful for some.

Back