Multichannel a SAVIOUR???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I just got the latest Billboard. There in the Pro Audio section is an article about how more and more product is being engineered in 5.1!!

At the end of the article, the engineer sums up by saying that the music business is in trouble, and maybe MULITCHANNEL will be able to revive/save it!!

How ironic that sounds to an old time "Quad Guy"!!

timbre4 said:
I appreciate every bit of that irony myself. ;)

In my case, I no longer look to purchase regular stereo cd's. I only look for multichannel stuff now. So this increase in multichannel product is a great thing for me!

I occasionally download tunes/CD's from Itunes, but virtually everything I buy these days is MC; it has brought back the excitement that I used to feel about listening to music!

Bob Romano said:
In my case, I no longer look to purchase regular stereo cd's. I only look for multichannel stuff now. So this increase in multichannel product is a great thing for me!

mrindenver said:
I occasionally download tunes/CD's from Itunes, but virtually everything I buy these days is MC; it has brought back the excitement that I used to feel about listening to music!

Agreed. I only purchase multichannel cd's these days. Also, on another note, since I've been a fan of quad since its beginnings, I'm really not that concerned which surround format wins out. Or how many new surround formats are introduced in the process. I think in this day and age of technology developing so quickly, it's likely that we're going to see one new method of delivering surround after another. I'm just happy that the music industry has finally come back to surround after so many years and that we have the technology today to give us several options for delivering that music. I'll just keep piling up the hardware to play the different formats and will still be playing dts, dvd-audio and sacd multichannel long after they've become obsolete formats.

dr8track said:
Agreed. I only purchase multichannel cd's these days. Also, on another note, since I've been a fan of quad since its beginnings, I'm really not that concerned which surround format wins out. Or how many new surround formats are introduced in the process. I think in this day and age of technology developing so quickly, it's likely that we're going to see one new method of delivering surround after another. I'm just happy that the music industry has finally come back to surround after so many years and that we have the technology today to give us several options for delivering that music. I'll just keep piling up the hardware to play the different formats and will still be playing dts, dvd-audio and sacd multichannel long after they've become obsolete formats.

I really envy you guys who have had the opportunity to own and play quad tapes and LPs over the years. While I knew of the technology, when it was "new" all my money went to raising kids and paying for orthadonics and tuition! I now own two 2900s and I am enjoying the hell out out of MC.

I think another reason the industry is looking for these MC formats to save the day is for pirating reasons....They can't be copied...(for now)

Hi,
It could very well be that mltich and Mighty Mouse will save the day but I just picked up some 2ch sacd Oscar Peterson done in 68. This "For My Friends" collection has no need of mltich but definitely benifets from the HIREZ treatment.

Anyone who loves jazz piano should give this a listen. Vol II Girl Talk is the one (of I think 4 in the series) I got and it sounds like it was recorded yesterday. MPS jazz, Germany.

In contrast The Dave Bruebeck Quartet's, Take Five, highlights more than one artist so IMHO is a legit mltich release.

Peter m.

Back