Multichannel FLAC and Rasberry Pi Player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problems for my Oppo 103 via ethernet from my pc. (gapless playback) I don't have consistent luck with SMB so I use an NFS server software.

Caveat: I do have Chinese firmware in my 103 & I don't remember what the "stock" playback was like any more.
These days, when I use it, it's usually for streaming .iso's such as DVDA/SACD etc.

My Oppo is a BDP83 and I cannot get it to play FLAC files in my efforts. I have been able to output Stereo FLAC to DAC through the Pi, but what I'd like to find is a reasonably priced DAC that has multichannel outputs so that I can run analog to my 4300. So far have not been able to find it. Closest I have seen is a MiniDSP UDAC-8 but looks like they stopped making it.

I've also run into problems with my Pi Setup... cant seem to get OSMC/Kodi to show on my touchscreen. I was able to get it to run through HDMI though.

My Oppo is a BDP83 and I cannot get it to play FLAC files in my efforts. I have been able to output Stereo FLAC to DAC through the Pi, but what I'd like to find is a reasonably priced DAC that has multichannel outputs so that I can run analog to my 4300. So far have not been able to find it. Closest I have seen is a MiniDSP UDAC-8 but looks like they stopped making it.
Out of interest...

Can't your OPPO BDP-83 pass multi-channel (PCM) audio via it's HDMI output directly to your Denon AVR...

Last edited:
I believe my BDP-80 would play flac from the usb port...I have it boxed up and put away though, so I can't test it. The only thing I could get from a quick search online was support for MKV for it and the 83.
Pretty sure they have the same chip but they changed the firmware on the 83....
Mine was never set up to output through the analog ports, it was always connected HDMI straight to the AVR.

So happens when I boxed up the 80 I forgot to throw the remote in the box...so soon maybe I'll pull it out and give it test before putting back on the shelf.

I loaded one 6 channel FLAC file into my LMS (Logitech Media Server) library, which is restricted to stereo and mono tracks. My picoreplayer with hifiberry HAT does not play multichannel files. However, using the UPNP bridge plug-in on the piCorePlayer with the Oppo 203 as the player I was able to play the multichannel file (through Marantz SR7013)!

Using this interface would be a very easy way to select tracks as compared to maneuvering through the Oppo menu.
I'm reluctant, though, to add my surround folders to the library and slow it down.

Using this interface would be a very easy way to select tracks as compared to maneuvering through the Oppo menu.
I'm reluctant, though, to add my surround folders to the library and slow it down.
Can you set up another server that only looks at your surround library?

.. and I was able to use the LMS webGUI to access the surround directory!

Screen Shot 2023-10-21 at 7.03.09 PM.png

.. and I was able to use the LMS webGUI to access the surround directory!
I don't recall an LMS webGUI, is it new-ish? My LMS server hardware died a few months before covid and I haven't replaced it. I can't face having a server to maintain again, instead I bought an Oppo 203 and am in the process of putting my music library on an SSD for the 203.

I was also put off returning to LMS since the iPeng control app appears to no longer maintained, and the LMS maintenance appears to rely on a very small number of people donating their free time given it is public domain. I'm concerned about how much life there is left in it.

I don't recall an LMS webGUI, is it new-ish? My LMS server hardware died a few months before covid and I haven't replaced it. I can't face having a server to maintain again, instead I bought an Oppo 203 and am in the process of putting my music library on an SSD for the 203.

I was also put off returning to LMS since the iPeng control app appears to no longer maintained, and the LMS maintenance appears to rely on a very small number of people donating their free time given it is public domain. I'm concerned about how much life there is left in it.
As far as I know, the WebGUI has been in operation when the software was initiated. Access is obtained by the URL of the server with :9000 added,
I have using LMS through the piCorePlayer distro. piCorePlayer is built on a Raspberry pi and can be either a player, a server, or a player/server. It can run headless or with a very nice touch screen. And yes, although Logitech discontinued their hardware line of squeezeboxes, the media software is still supported.
Combined with the Raspberry pi, LMS has much more life in it now with the variety of plug-ins that can be added.Over on the squeezebox forum there is much discussion and contribution to third party apps that keep the platform up to date. Instead of the iPeng app you can use the Material Skin plug-in, an alternative WebGUI which is very powerful.

The thing is though, LMS doesn't do anything for me that I can't do with the Oppo 203 and my Arcam AVR31 amp. Gapless playback of FLACs inc multi channel is there on the 203. If I want to do BBC or other radio listen again I can use the broadcaster's App on my iPad and AirPlay it lossless to my amp. Live streaming of radio stations inc BBC at 320kbps is done by the amp itself. I never used multiple squeezeboxes synced (tried it and found the sync worked terribly), I just used a Duet player (digital into my amp) and controller (which I still have) and for multi room playback I have two pairs of Dynaudio Xeo 3 wireless speakers.

So adding LMS gains me absolutely nothing as far as I can see, except maintenance overheads and the need to back the server up. I got fed up with doing that last time. I never really got on with browsing LMS by tags I always did it using the directory structure of the files, so that's no different on the Oppo 203. And I know nothing about Linux so I'm not keen on running a Raspberry Pi. Now if there's some killer feature I've overlooked that LMS provides please say so.

Sounds like you are all set. I posted my findings here just to show that there is another method to play multichannel files for those interested; my intent was not trying to push LMS to anyone who doesn't want it.

That's fine, I was just checking I hadn't missed some useful feature. You are right to post your experience of making LMS work with multi channel, it may be what someone else is looking for.

I never used multiple squeezeboxes synced (tried it and found the sync worked terribly)
That's interesting. I consider sync one of the most important features of LMS and in fact am listening to music that way right now.

Mostly I've found it works great for me, but there were two past situations when it didn't: 1. When one of the players was a Wandboard and 2. When one of the players was an old Android phone.

Right now it's working great with a combination of official Logitech hardware and various generations/models of the Raspberry Pi.

Now if there's some killer feature I've overlooked that LMS provides please say so.
My favorite is probably not that interesting to anyone else, but I use it all the time: A Dynamic Playlist to randomly play albums that haven't yet been played.

That's interesting. I consider sync one of the most important features of LMS and in fact am listening to music that way right now.

Mostly I've found it works great for me, but there were two past situations when it didn't: 1. When one of the players was a Wandboard and 2. When one of the players was an old Android phone.
I was trying to sync my Duet Receiver on the hifi with either a Boom or SqueezePlay on my laptop. One end or the other would drop samples in a pretty obvious way every few minutes and it was quite obnoxious. All wired ethernet apart from the Boom.

I was trying to sync my Duet Receiver on the hifi with either a Boom or SqueezePlay on my laptop. One end or the other would drop samples in a pretty obvious way every few minutes and it was quite obnoxious. All wired ethernet apart from the Boom.
I remember having issues with SqueezePlay as well, even without syncing.

SqueezeLite on a Pi has been solid, though. Even when synced.

I remember having issues with SqueezePlay as well, even without syncing.

SqueezeLite on a Pi has been solid, though. Even when synced.
The important one for me was the Boom, and that wouldn't sync nicely with the Receiver. I needed wireless to the kitchen, couldn't get wires to it. In the end I solved that with the Dynaudio Xeo 3 wireless speakers, which are much more expensive than a Boom (more than I really wanted to spend) but they sound fantastic and work reliably. Indeed I liked the Xeo 3s so much I bought a second pair for my study, which is where I had been trying to use SqueezePlay.

The important one for me was the Boom, and that wouldn't sync nicely with the Receiver.
I wonder if the Receiver was actually the culprit. I've never owned a Duet/Receiver/Controller, but when I first got into that ecosystem long ago I read the forums religiously. It seemed to me that there were a LOT of complaints about the Duet. It's really too bad because it seemed like an excellent idea.

It was heartbreaking when Logitech dumped the product line, but all these years later they're still supporting it, which is nicer than I ever would have expected. And I'm really grateful that it all works so well on the Raspberry Pi. I used to worry that once the official Logitech hardware died I'd have no replacement.

Back