My hosting provider has broken all versions of Spec and SpecWeb!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just moved the program to my D drive again, get the update error, but it works again! Sorry for the bother. I should have moved it to begin with. Must be a stupid Windows update thing or something; being in a Windows Program Files folder. I don't remember why I installed it there a few months ago!!

Actually, I spoke too soon. It looked like it was working but it just stopped with the processing window still open. I will do a totally fresh install.

After a fresh install onto my D drive, it's working again! Thanks for your responses!

Last edited:
Here is an ugly Band-Aid for people to try while I continue work on this.

Edit (as Administrator) C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts and add this line:

127.0.0.1 www.surroundbyus.com

This will block your connection to www.surroundbyus.com and SpecWeb will complain about not being able to check for a new version but it will run!

Then you will need to remember that block is there, if you ever want to go to surroundbyus.com for anything (like a new specweb version!). You CAN, however, got to surroundbyus.com, without the www.

I suppose a firewall rule would serve as well but haven't tested that.
Any fix yet for Windows 11 or work around?

Is it broken again? I've had the host file band aid in place here.

Just tested with the bandaid removed and it seems OK.

Back